Ipad2 - who’s buying?  how many?

Posted: 03 March 2011 12:59 PM #31

Sir Harry Flashman - 03 March 2011 04:36 PM
    madmaxroi - 03 March 2011 04:26 PM

I’m in!  Just wondering if I will get the Wi-Fi only model now that we can use the iPhone model as a 3G hotspot…any thoughts?

I am wondering about that. Will there be a fee for tethering? Is it “tethering?”

Turns out that AT&T will charge $20 per month for the teathering feature.  I figure that as long as you are using part of the 2GB that has already been paid for, why should we have to pay more? 

Guess I will be getting the 3G model…not that I have used 3G much on my current iPad, but I like the flexibility.  No contract and it is their for a month at a time if you need it.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 01:19 PM #32

madmaxroi - 03 March 2011 04:22 PM
    alice - 02 March 2011 09:54 PM

Which is better - ATT or Verizon?  Is iPad2 ATT version better for overseas traveling?

My understanding is that ATT has better global coverage.

The ATT version has the GSM standard, which is most likely the one you can use overseas.

You would want to use a local SIM card, if you can get a micro SIM with pay-as-you-go data or some sort. This is becoming both possible and cheap, at least in Denmark. It will most likely be an order of magnitude cheaper than data roaming abroad.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 01:36 PM #33

Let’s see…

CPU 2x as fast
    Graphics 9x as fast
    iMovie app
    GarageBand app
    Smart cover
    Lighter
    FaceTime
    2 cameras…

Oh, I forgot, also extra absorbent.  smile

I’m in!  Just wondering if I will get the Wi-Fi only model now that we can use the iPhone model as a 3G hotspot…any thoughts?

if you have an iPhone, jailbreak it, turn your phone into a wi-fi hotspot with WEP password and use your phone’s 3G service as internet. Why pay double data? Even multiple iPad/Laptop users can use your hotspot. You’re paying for it, why not use it =P Unless you’re on 200MB/mo, that’s a different story.

This should work with Android phones as well.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 03:03 PM #34

Okay, I have to admit, I don’t get it. What is the attraction of the iPad? I shouldn’t single out just the iPad, so let me rephrase the question, what is the attraction of a tablet? Let me say that I am a HUGE Apple fan. I have purchased over 20 Apple computers in my life. I own iPods and an iPhone. And as far as the cool factor goes, the iPad2 is way cool. But why do I need it? Aside from reading books and some select publications, what does the iPad do that my iPhone or my MacBook Pro don’t already do? Someone please clue me in. I really want a good reason to buy one, but I can’t find one.

Posted: 03 March 2011 03:16 PM #35

Stealth plan.
    I will get one “to share with my wife”
    Then after a couple of months when she’s completely monopolized it I’ll get one for me.

32Gb/WiFi Only

[ Edited: 03 March 2011 03:19 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 03 March 2011 03:37 PM #36

MackyMoto - 03 March 2011 07:03 PM

Okay, I have to admit, I don’t get it. What is the attraction of the iPad? I shouldn’t single out just the iPad, so let me rephrase the question, what is the attraction of a tablet? Let me say that I am a HUGE Apple fan. I have purchased over 20 Apple computers in my life. I own iPods and an iPhone. And as far as the cool factor goes, the iPad2 is way cool. But why do I need it? Aside from reading books and some select publications, what does the iPad do that my iPhone or my MacBook Pro don’t already do? Someone please clue me in. I really want a good reason to buy one, but I can’t find one.

Cost, adequate screen space, portability and instant on are the top features for me.

you already have 2 of these in your iPhone.  The screen space is the new part.  For your coworkers, friends and family, sharing a screen (webpage, or a document) is a big differentiating factor.  Squinting at a small screen is something I’ve done and I’m just not interested in that for day to day use.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 03:40 PM #37

Won’t Apple limit how many one can buy?at least initially?to prevent gray market bulk buys? Or will the mass deployment overseas soon after the US release prevent a black market from developing?

For my part I will buy one black (either 32 or 64 G) 3G model with the black leather cover, HDMI adapter and photo kit. To pauy for this I will be selling one of my kidneys on eBay.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 03:44 PM #38

Let’s see…

CPU 2x as fast
    Graphics 9x as fast
    iMovie app
    GarageBand app
    Smart cover
    Lighter
    FaceTime
    2 cameras…

Oh, I forgot, also extra absorbent.  smile

Thoughts” signing up for ATT’s (or VZ’s) mobile hot spot feature for the iPhone will require a monthly fee, along side your normal monthly cell fee. The 3G plans for the iPad can be turned on when needed, turned off when not. You’ll have to do the math on fees/hardware costs to see what saves you the most money.

Posted: 03 March 2011 03:54 PM #39

Interesting OT:

My refurb iPad 1 purchase is in transit—from Hong Kong.  I would have thought from Cupertino area.

Posted: 03 March 2011 03:58 PM #40

Okay, I have to admit, I don’t get it. What is the attraction of the iPad? I shouldn’t single out just the iPad, so let me rephrase the question, what is the attraction of a tablet?...Aside from reading books and some select publications, what does the iPad do that my iPhone or my MacBook Pro don’t already do? Someone please clue me in. I really want a good reason to buy one, but I can’t find one.

“Good reason” is highly subjective. If you’re happy with your iPhone & MBP, then don’t bother with the iPad. I have an iPod touch 4, iPad and MBP. They’re all computing devices, but there are certain situations where one is better than the others. But these situations depend on what your specific computing needs are and where you “compute”.

For me, the usage breakdown is roughly 20% iPod touch, 40% iPad and 40% MBP. The iPad has become my portable computer while my MBP is primarily a desktop. The choice depends a lot on location.

iPod touch: standing in line, walking a slow old dog, peddling on an exercycle.

iPad: on the couch, in bed, on the road.

MBP: at the desk.

Could I live without an iPad? Of course. I did for all my life except this past year. But why should I? :-D

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:09 PM #41

I probably thought the same thing last April, but I figured I would try it for a few weeks.  Within about 10 days I was hooked and the “addiction” has gotten stronger as time has gone on.  I sold my iPad 1 last weekend and the withdrawals are bad! grin

It is a wonderful device for consuming content, web, email, videos, whatever. Movies on it are the best of any device I have had. I carry mine everywhere…and I mean everywhere. I go to Home Depot, it goes with me. The same for weekend shopping at the mall.  I travel about 2 times a month and every since I bought the ipad I haven’t gotten my laptop out while in transit, not once.

I don’t create much content on it. If I have to work on a large spreadsheet or detailed email, I’ll find a desktop.

You never have to worry about battery life.  Battery at 25% and you want to watch a movie? No problem! I will open it up and surf for 30 min or so when the battery is at 5%. 

I have found some of the dedicated apps to be very beneficial. Like yelp for example. It is a better experience than going to yelp.com in a browser. The same for weather, or stock trading or finances. The TIVO app is awesome. 

Some people have described it as having the internet in your hands…and I agree. The combination of portability, instant on, access anywhere (without clicking, connecting etc), sleek interface is very compelling.  Yes you can get a good portion of this on an iphone or even an android, but it isn’t the same, much of this has to do with screen size.  I hate squinting at a tiny screen when looking at dynamic content.

I can sit on the couch in the family room with the device and it isn’t nearly as intrusive as a laptop, it fits better into the scenario, same thing at the table at breakfast. A laptop, even a small Mac Air doesn’t fit these situations nearly as well. 

There is something quite visceral about the device.  Try it and I’m sure you will like it. grin

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:18 PM #42

madmaxroi - 03 March 2011 04:59 PM

[

Guess I will be getting the 3G model…not that I have used 3G much on my current iPad, but I like the flexibility.  No contract and it is their for a month at a time if you need it.

You just must have money falling out of your pockets. A plane ticket will cost a third and give memories for a lifetime. :-D

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:20 PM #43

Try this Apple iPad 1 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiVeC1Z3yI&feature=player_embedded

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:22 PM #44

Early tests of the iPad 2’s web performance have suggested a major lift in speed over the original. The combination of iOS 4.3’s Nitro engine in Safari with the dual-core A5 gave the newer tablet a SunSpider JavaScript completion time of 2121.7ms, or just over four times faster than the original iPad’s 8594.9ms. SlashGear’s benchmarks showd it excelling the most in a 3D raytracing test, scoring over five times faster, but also better than the average in access and cryptography tests.

Slashgear

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:37 PM #45

Drew Bear - 03 March 2011 07:58 PM

iPod touch: standing in line, walking a slow old dog, peddling on an exercycle.

iPad: on the couch, in bed, on the road.

MBP: at the desk.

Why MBP and not iMac?

Alice,

Will buy one iPad 2 (black) Wi-Fi (no 3G since already owned iPad 1 with Wi-fi + 3G).  Will also buy a MBP for my son around Aug-Sep.  Have bought 4 iPads for extended family last year, this year plans to buy four MBAs for them.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs