Ipad2 - who’s buying?  how many?

Posted: 03 March 2011 04:47 PM #46

Mace - 03 March 2011 08:37 PM
    Drew Bear - 03 March 2011 07:58 PM

iPod touch: standing in line, walking a slow old dog, peddling on an exercycle.

iPad: on the couch, in bed, on the road.

MBP: at the desk.

Why MBP and not iMac?

Or both smile

I have pretty much settled on a black 32GB iPad, WiFi only, that seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:13 PM #47

iPod touch: standing in line, walking a slow old dog, peddling on an exercycle.

iPad: on the couch, in bed, on the road.

Why MBP and not iMac?

I haven’t owned a desktop in nearly a decade. There are still 1-2 weeks each year when I need to haul the MBP with me.

Posted: 03 March 2011 05:57 PM #48

Drew Bear - 03 March 2011 09:13 PM

Why MBP and not iMac?

I haven’t owned a desktop in nearly a decade. There are still 1-2 weeks each year when I need to haul the MBP with me.

I switch back to iMac from MBP after seven years of usage.  Cons of MBP are: Display is too small for an old man, graphics is too slow for games, takes up too much desk space especially with an external keyboard + mouse (easier to play games with an external keyboard and mouse) and too heavy to carry around in comparison to iPad/iPhone.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 03 March 2011 06:08 PM #49

mark me down for 1 (I feel like I am ordering bags of kiwanis peanuts)

Signature

aka Sammy the Walrus IV
    AAPL Orchard

Twitter

Posted: 03 March 2011 06:41 PM #50

Mace - 03 March 2011 09:57 PM

I switch back to iMac from MBP after seven years of usage.  Cons of MBP are: Display is too small for an old man, graphics is too slow for games, takes up too much desk space especially with an external keyboard + mouse (easier to play games with an external keyboard and mouse) and too heavy to carry around in comparison to iPad/iPhone.

Tell me about it.

You know Nancy’s column Computing With Bifocals, here on the MacObserver? Last December when I got my new eyeglass prescription I asked the optometrist about reading glasses and she said that prescription ones are better than off-the-rack ones because they can take into account astigmatism and such. I ordered a pair and am quite pleased with them. Now of course they are not good for distance, but they really help when concentrating on a monitor or book.

Another ramble. I use both my iMac and MacBook Pro about equally. My wife uses her MacBook Pro almost exclusively so I am thinking of getting her an external monitor for when she is working at her desk.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 03 March 2011 07:52 PM #51

I am in - as well as for everyone in my small office. 

For the first i went with the WFI and use a Sprint MIFI card - i will probably stick with that as it will allow facetime chat while on the road.

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:02 PM #52

I think I know Mace’s demographic just well enough to say this - he’s probably a casual gamer.

And for casual-to-medium-duty gaming (medium-ish settings at a reasonable 1680x1050 resolution), a Mac will do fine (same goes for Boot Camp gaming).  It’s a mix of computing priorities and which systems you’ve historically had.  Mac users who play games will try to make it work with their existing Macs, and if they only play the occasional Blizzard title, they’re all set without having to do the whole Boot Camp business.  Power gamers who dual-use will likely stick with dedicated Windows machines for games.  Intense gamers usually don’t bother with Macs.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 March 2011 10:16 PM #53

I always wait a few weeks after launch. First, I want to handle one. Second, there almost always some early stage production issues that take a week or two to iron themselves out.

• Posted: 03 March 2011 10:37 PM #54

If this is any indication of how big Ipad 2 will, watch out!!!!

http://mashable.com/2011/03/03/ipad-2-trade-in-volume/

Posted: 03 March 2011 10:39 PM #55

I’m in for 2 one for my wife and one foe me. Still thinking about the 3G or not?  And, now there are colors to consider? We’ve waited long enough, too.  grin

[ Edited: 03 March 2011 10:44 PM by Gandolf ]      

Posted: 03 March 2011 10:59 PM #56

I’ll have one as soon as possible. An amazing device.

:apple:

• Posted: 03 March 2011 11:02 PM #57

I will buy a black one (birthday present). More difficult is to decide which smart cover to buy.

Posted: 03 March 2011 11:06 PM #58

Red.  Please, no green or orange.  Violet or forest green would be good if they had them

Posted: 03 March 2011 11:15 PM #59

Tetrachloride - 04 March 2011 03:06 AM

Red.  Please, no green or orange.  Violet or forest green would be good if they had them

In a short time there will probably be a lot of covers from which to choose. So you like red; Vanadium tetrachloride, isn’t that red?

Signature

Posted: 03 March 2011 11:26 PM #60

Actually, I was thinking of the Ruby Red of iMacs G3 400 Mhz.