iPad 2 is post-PC?

Posted: 03 March 2011 12:11 PM

I’m reading and hearing a lot today about how we are moving into the post-PC era. The iPad and iPhone are going to replace our computers…yet we still need our computers, OS 10.5.8 or later, iTunes 9.1 or later, an iTunes account and internet access just to set them up. Just to update software. The writing is on the wall, but we are far from not needing a computer.

Thoughts anyone?

Posted: 03 March 2011 02:39 PM #1

Let us list some types of PC erosion:

1.  PC staying power:  How long is XP going to be with us.  About as long as COBOL.
    2. Windows Longhorn / Vista / 7.  Improvements but do I care ?
    3. PC accounting and point of sale systems:  Being replaced by iPads and iPod touches.
    4. Sooner or later, one won’t need a PC or Mac to sync their iOS devices.  MobileMe, M$Cloud, Google Apps give a big hint of direction.
    5. Other systems:  Android mainly.  There will always be the mavericks, outliers, etc.
    6. Desktop staying power:  This can be eroded with a laptop and an external monitor.

Over time, Windows marketshare will be cut by about 30 %.  M$ could remake itself, but it means biting the bullet on some sacred cows.

Posted: 03 March 2011 02:42 PM #2

On “post-PC era” vs. Macs,  yes, there will be some erosion.  But the halo effect and Mac staying power is quite a bit stronger.

If MobileMe gets its act together in reliability, cost and improved handiness between iOS, cloud and Macs, then ....  mmm , how to say…  just call it a bright decade for Apple and its customers.

• Posted: 04 March 2011 08:37 PM #3

BWilcox - 03 March 2011 04:11 PM

I’m reading and hearing a lot today about how we are moving into the post-PC era. The iPad and iPhone are going to replace our computers…yet we still need our computers, OS 10.5.8 or later, iTunes 9.1 or later, an iTunes account and internet access just to set them up. Just to update software. The writing is on the wall, but we are far from not needing a computer.

Thoughts anyone?

Those are absolutely phony articles/ads/propaganda from people who want to push apple.  One of those apple pushers is Fox news, and you will also find many pop ups in the right side pane on various web sites. The reason is there is an agenda..  Apple does not live on the majority of home desktops for an operating system.  They’ve tried everything and so far they haven’t made a big enough dent.  However, apple is currently the leader when they are on a mobile device such as an iphone or ipad.  So those with vested interests pitch the idea that the PC is dead is pitched over and over, hoping some people who could use either desktop or mobile will believe them.  And if they do believe it, they may just ditch their desktop (likely windows), for something that will have a high probability of being made by apple.  Pop ups, ads etc are not free.  Someone is paying for this campaign.  And following that, will obviously be some free lance writers, but it’s still part of a movement tied to an agenda.  But in reality, most people want to sit down to a nice computer with a big monitor when they get home rather than hold a tablet in their hands.  So you are right.  We are far from not needing a full, regular computer be it pc or mac.  Also the people who push this realize that it’s not a big loss to apple if people switch from their macs to say an ipad, because again, chances are it will likely not be a mac.  Now, I realize that there is a need for tablets, but I believe that need is usually an additional need and not a replacement.  Again, it’s just deception that’s being propagated for profit.  The PC is not dead.  Instead it’s just one of the original ways to get connected, along with the newer mobile alternatives.  Most people want both.  So in the future you will see the level of PC’s go down some, but they will still be around for a long time.

[ Edited: 04 March 2011 08:43 PM by zingbot ]      

Posted: 05 March 2011 12:45 AM #4

The above is either a well-written satire or someone’s honest opinion.  I will assume the latter and concentrate on the fundamental aspects of the post.

1. Apple’s dent in “home desktops” has increased in that Mac laptops and iOS devices as well as Mac desktops are contributing to a decline in (comparatively speaking) stagnant PC sales.
    2.I will agree that PC’s will be around for a while.  There’s a lot of money invested in software and hardware.  So, there’s some momentum.  That said, as a former tech support person, I’m reeeally not interested in supporting legacy software and hardware, except for my own.
    3. There are 2 kinds of people paying for the publicity campaign.  Vested interests and, believe it or not, people who genuinely like Apple products.    I’m in both camps.  I’m more of a fan of the newest hardware than I am the newest software.  But compared to PC hardware and software, I’ll take the Apple camp, even if its a bit older. 
    4. The tablet market is a lot bigger than the PC vested interests are willing to admit.  Lots, lots bigger.

Posted: 05 March 2011 06:40 PM #5

When Jobs said post-PC he meant post-computer, not post-Windows machine.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Posted: 05 March 2011 07:09 PM #6

yoyo52 - 05 March 2011 10:40 PM

Exactly.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 06 March 2011 02:32 PM #7

Intruder - 05 March 2011 11:09 PM
    yoyo52 - 05 March 2011 10:40 PM

Exactly.

Yep, this is exactly it. They’re not claiming the iPad will kill one OS or vendor or anything like that. What they mean is that it’s a different computing paradigm (that is an over-used word, but I think it applies.)

I remember when laptops were a novelty, then became more and more powerful, and finally it became feasible to use one as your main computer.

We’re still at the beginning, but we are headed toward a similar shift with so-called mobile devices. Right now an iPad is mostly a supplement to a “real” computer.

Given some time and evolution of the software, we will eventually see people using them for the bulk of their computing. This will be the “post-PC” world… one where people compute daily without owning a Personal Computer in the traditional sense of the term.