What do YOU do with your iPad (...or other iOS/mobile device)?

• Posted: 08 March 2011 01:27 PM

With iPad 2 coming out, and tablets attracting attention in general, it might be a good time to take a quick survey of what people are doing with their mobile devices. I suspect there’s a whole range, from a simple email station or video player, all the way up to a partial replacement for your regular computer. So how do your mobile device fit into your day-to-day computing life?

(Note: I’m intentionally leaving this open-ended… I originally intended to ask about iPads specifically but there’s no reason to cut out other iOS devices, or mobile devices in general.)

[ Edited: 08 March 2011 01:39 PM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 09 March 2011 11:33 AM #1

I do everything with it as part of a service company that is on the road.

Most used apps: Goodreader to view my customer info in PDF format; Maps for GPS-assisted travel, Feedder RSS to keep up on news.

Today I watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3aHCZqUvfo

Signature

"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:04 PM #2

Officially, my iPad is justified for making adjustments to memos and stuff.  Hence, a purchase of Pages.  Instant messaging, emails and calendars will also be important.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 12:41 PM #3

Personally I am using them for a mix of things. At work, I have a MacBook and for now I need to keep using a regular computer there ??there’s too much work involving Remote Desktop, Photoshop, etc.

At home my approach has changed a bit. After coming home from a day of tech work, the last thing I feel like doing is sitting down in front of another computer. So I tend to favor my iPad (and iPhone) there. I use it for everything I can… web browsing, email, Twitter, Facebook, music, etc.

So overall my computing life is still dominated by a regular MacBook, but there’s a definitely split between what I use for home vs. work.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 02:56 PM #4

I’m not a very mobile-device-powered person at the moment. At work and at home most of my computing is done on a MacPro or an iMac respectively. I use my iPodTouch to check email, play the occasional game, or listen to music wherever I am (but not often), and use my wife’s MacBook to fiddle with some projects I keep in DropBox, when I don’t want to trek up to the attic to work on my iMac (especially this time of year, when I have to wear a hat and heavy sweater).

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 09 March 2011 03:05 PM #5

Our family are heavy mobile users.  I use it for my classes for things like attendance, maps, and notetaking.  On the road I use it to find campgrounds, gas stations, etc.  At night we like to play scrabble on our IPad.  Weatherbug is very valuable to keep track of weather at our destination.

I also use it at church for prayers and my wife uses her Ipod Touch for her grocery list.

Posted: 09 March 2011 06:06 PM #6

I keep an iPhone 4 in my pocket at all times.  I use it for calls, calendar, to-dos, and an occasional game.  It is my back-up computer for any task.  It’s just as handy as the mini-letherman on my keychain.  I also tend to check email on it at home vs. turn on a computer, unless I need to type longer responses.

I find that as often as not I’ll pull out a laptop vs. turn on my desktop to do web browsing.  This is probably because they are newer (therefore boot faster) but also because I can be in whatever room of the house, like on the couch.  I plan to get an iPad 2 to handle this use.

I don’t like reading on a desktop at all, but the laptop is also too bulky for this (reading academic papers, stories/books, etc.).  I intend to use the iPad for this too.

For writing (stories, ideas, blog entries, etc.) I’ll prefer a keyboard.  If it’s something creative I often like using my laptop in a comfortable environment, like on the couch or outside.  But if I’m writing for a long time then the desktop is more ergonomically situated.

I’ll continue using a desktop for more serious games, like Star Craft II.  Also for programming.  Neither of those two uses is likely to disappear, so I’ll have a desktop for the foreseeable future.  (Or at least a dock-able laptop.)

My wife uses her old PC most of the time, but frequently borrows my laptop when she wants music or online recipes in the kitchen.  I’m pretty sure she’ll start borrowing the iPad instead once we have one.

• Posted: 09 March 2011 11:55 PM #7

This varies substantially with where on the planet I am, and what I am doing there. But generalising:

iPad: still primarily book and journal reading, web-surfing and email. It is also my preferred companion to conferences where I do not have to put together complex presentations. For that, I still bring my MBP. In fact, bringing only my iPad to a conference is a calculated risk, in that, many times I have been called up from the audience by conference organisers and asked to do an impromptu presentation on something, and I can pull up an extant presentation from my MBP, but not the iPad. Occasionally I use the iPad for Twitter, but to be truthful, I still do most of that from my MBP, which travels with me everywhere. I am looking forward to seeing how the dual core iPad performs, and whether upcoming iOS updates will enhance multitasking performance, which for my uses, remains somewhat limited. On balance, the iPad is my preferred device for content consumption (papers) and limited writing (email, journal, Twitter).

iPhone: Apart from calls, primarily use it for referencing, e.g. drug prescriptions, clinical management guidance, etc. It is always on my hip and ready to go. The iPhone has completely replaced my old ‘pocket references’ for patient management. Second would be email and texting. Twitter, not so much.

Given my line of work, nothing has come close to displacing my MBP - except to conferences and meetings where all I have to do is take notes and read downloaded content. Whether in my office, at home or in international conferences, I frequently have to pull up large datasets, do analysis on the fly, pull down and synthesise peer-reviewed references and draft something (manuscript, report, presentation, grant application, etc). For that, the MBP still reigns unrivalled.

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 10 March 2011 06:49 PM #8

I use my iPod Touch primarily to control my Mac Mini media center and to view content. I load videos and podcasts onto it and take it round with me. I also use it as my calendar. I have a few other apps I use for browsing localities, such a restaurant guide for New York, a walking guide to Golden Gate Park, and travel guides to some other cities. For the most part these don’t require wifi. My mail account needs it but I can wait until I’m in range to get updated.

It would be nice to have an iPad to see my content on a bigger screen, but it’s not something I’ll spend upwards of $400 on right now.

Signature

Problem definition is the key to problem resolution.

• Posted: 31 December 2012 05:11 AM #9

I use ipad mainly for relaxation activities like reading or watching movies. For these, i believe they are really good to have.

• Posted: 06 February 2013 10:49 AM #10

I use it mainly for fun, but found some very handy apps like paper and presentation note. The first one is a great tool for drawing and the second is the best thing for giving presentations directly from the iPad. Huge hit with my colleagues.

• Posted: 07 February 2013 03:17 AM #11

iPhone: for personal use.

iPad: Aside from my fave apps which I play during spare time, I also download educational applications like the Maddie and Matts apps and other learning applications that will greatly help my little sister.