iPad and the Paperless Office

Posted: 12 March 2011 04:48 PM

The paperless office has been a pipe dream until now. The iPad is the paperless office. Consider this one usage: movie and TV scripts.

Every time a script or shooting schedule is revised, it must be reprinted and redistributed to the crew. Thats hundreds of pages to hundreds of people repeated many times a week.

iPad has replaced paper scripts in an amazingly short period of time. But consider the benefits.

Scripts are distributed via protected PDF (no bootleg copies of scripts) from a central server and pushed to iPads via a specific-purpose app, with no use of the App Store.

Revisions are automatically pushed. No one is working on old info.

PDFs can be annotated by hand.

iPads are interchangeable with backup, making it ideal for IT to easily exchange in the rare tech problem or breakage.

This is a huge business use scenario. Large scale SECURE distribution of documents with centralized revision control. Apple is adding a signature module in Lion (and probably guessing iOS5), so you can easily imagine the iPad quickly becoming ubiquitous in paper heavy business. Especially mortgage and legal.

The point of this post is iPad usage is certain scenarios is driving MAJOR PRODUCTIVITY GAINS and COST SAVINGS which will have business running towards iPad.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 06:13 PM #1

The real value in going paperless is to stop work flow documents from ever getting to you.  We use Delegation Magic and they intercept all our paper, name it, index it, and track our work flow.  They do all that for 15 cents a page

Posted: 13 March 2011 10:07 PM #2

At an off-site meeting back in November our folks loaded iPads with several hundred pages of read-ahead material for the 19 participants. They had everything the weekend in advance, completed the offsite, and turned in the iPads. No trees were sacrificed for this process. iPads are cheaper than laptops, less prone to breakage, and require less training to be immediately productive. It is certainly the combination of form factor, battery life and ease of use that have finally broken the paper paradigm.

[P.S., I took a look at the Delegation Magic main page. Now, I’m known at work for being able to spot a typo, even small things like a zero for an “oh”, double spaces where they don’t belong, etc. But normally I don’t spot more than one typo on a web page (blogs and comments are another story).  The D.M. folks need a copy editor, seriously. They are saving so much time they don’t worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar or proper contractions (your, you’re and yore are different, etc).]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 11:22 PM #3

I think that there are certain fields where going paperless might be easier than others. For example, musicians can now purchase, transfer, mark up and store huge amounts of music in a single location. My father was a part-time organist and he was always swapping music in and out of the old brown briefcase that he took back and forth to church, weddings, etc. If he had had access to the iPad, he could have scanned and stored his entire music collection in one place and transported it easily to each engagement.

Posted: 14 March 2011 03:55 AM #4

rezonate - 14 March 2011 01:07 AM

... Now, I’m known at work for being able to spot a typo, even small things like a zero for an “oh”, double spaces where they don’t belong, etc. But normally I don’t spot more than one typo on a web page (blogs and comments are another story).  The D.M. folks need a copy editor, seriously. They are saving so much time they don’t worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar or proper contractions (your, you’re and yore are different, etc).]

You talk like a civil servant/public officer or work in Defense ministry or you’re rolleyes  a politician.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 14 March 2011 07:37 AM #5

Mace - 14 March 2011 06:55 AM
    rezonate - 14 March 2011 01:07 AM

... Now, I’m known at work for being able to spot a typo, even small things like a zero for an “oh”, etc.

You talk like a civil servant/public officer or work in Defense ministry or you’re rolleyes  a politician.

Probably guilty as charged on all counts at some level! I like the music suggestion, Apple had a quick clip of a piano player doing just that during the keynote.  I kind of like using a pencil to mark up a score, but can see switching to a stylus. At work I’m also known as a paperphobe. Can’t count the times I’ve admonished my staff for not using the duplexer attachments I bought for them! Maybe all I need to do is buy them all iPads, hmm…

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 14 March 2011 12:09 PM #6

I am seeing a lot of TV news anchors using iPads for their stories, notes, or what have you.

The service and parts cashier at my Ford dealer uses an iPad for us to enter info to our accounts.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 14 March 2011 01:54 PM #7

Paperless office? What is this, 1975?

Posted: 14 March 2011 02:10 PM #8

Off topic just a bit but very cool

http://www.9to5mac.com/56088/apple-lists-airplay-enabled-apps-in-a-new-app-store-section/

AirPlay is a great new feature of iOS 4 that lets you wirelessly stream photos, video and music from an iOS device to your television via Apple TV. Like any new tech, AirPlay has its share of teething problems as it doesn?t work two-way between any iOS device, as originally planned. Apple fixed some of the concerns with iOS 4.3 and AirPlay can now stream video from the Photos app, web sites and Air Play-enabled apps that are now listed in a brand new section on the App Store.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 14 March 2011 11:23 PM #9

Good points, schLONG. I’ve gotta stop reading all these great things, gotta stop watching demos of GarageBand (even though I use Logic Pro, GB is just great fun!) The RDF is wearing down my resistance…  wink

• Posted: 15 March 2011 02:07 PM #10

I agree, tablets may be the tool we need in order to finally realize the scenario of a “paperless office.” Until now computers have mostly been devices that sit on our desks—or travel in huge cases of accessories—which made it easy to produce paper, but were still relatively inconvenient if one needed to quickly refer to a document on the go. The iPad changes that because it has a screen big enough to read one, yet the form factor is small and light enough that it can be toted around easily and doesn’t require any sort of dedicated carrying case. Here’s hoping, anyway…