iPad 2 Sales Projections

Poll: Will international iPad 2 roll out be delayed past March 25 because of high deman in the U.S.?
Total Votes: 39
Yes, will be delayed past March 25
No, will happen on March 25 as scheduled
  • Posted: 12 March 2011 06:01 PM

Opening weekend and opening month (March) iPad 2 sales projections.

I’ll start

Opening Weekend - 800,000 updated to 1,000,000
    Opening Month - 1,400,000 updated to 1,600,000

——-
    Will generate statistics Sunday evening (after 6PM EDT).

[ Edited: 12 March 2011 08:13 PM by snoozzzer ]      

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:50 PM #1

adamthompson3232 - 12 March 2011 10:06 PM

1.2M and 2.0M.

I would guess end of the month is end of the quarter for Apple releasing info. Does anyone know what day that is.
    Weekend=1.3 million

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:28 PM #2

1.3 million by next Friday.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 March 2011 09:18 PM #3

Although we saw some very nice store traffic Friday, it looks like Apple purposely kept the supply channel for online ordering very low.    I think this was done purposely and created some great PR for Apple…...after the Verizon iPhone 4 small lines comments.  I would assume Apple store inventory of iPads will be limited near term.  With online orders shipping in 3-4 wks, I don’t understand how Apple is going to be able to do an adequate 26 country launch of the iPad on March 26th.

800k weekend estimate

Does Apple give a Monday morning press release?

[ Edited: 12 March 2011 09:46 PM by afterglow ]

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 12 March 2011 09:40 PM #4

1.0M and 2.0M.

Figure a million planned for the first weekend and 500K/wk being manufactured and shipped for the 2 remaining weeks in the fiscal quarter. These additional million units will be divided up somehow between USA and foreign sales but all will be sold by Saturday, March 26th and therefore recognized as Q2 revenue.

I believe that Apple would not have planned for anything less than a 1M unit sales announcement for the initial weekend. The press likes round numbers best and Apple is unlikely to give them a number that ends in a K instead of an M.

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:10 AM #5

I voted for the scheduled international roll out. If this does not happen then there are some serious supply issues. Apple likes to keep the sold out going as long as they can, even if it is because of short supply. The qtr number is a mystery to me. I would hope that anything over 5 mil would be OK with WS.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:22 AM #6

Over in the VZ iPhone launch thread, the Chitika meter hits 9.7 %.  Those Verizon users and switchers must have been bursting.   

iPad 2 demand will put that demand to shame.  Or, will it.  You know the secret CDMA word:  China.

Except for Libya and Japan, I see little holding AAPL back.

Posted: 13 March 2011 01:50 AM #7

Do we know what the daily ipad 2 production capacity is?
    It is a fine line keeping the demand high and keeping people interested while not having enough product to go around, but Apple does it very very well.

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

• Posted: 13 March 2011 04:15 AM #8

A high volume Apple store where I live did not have iPad 2s to sell today (Sat.), save for a very limited # offered to in-store customers.  There were no lines as Apple had none to sell in volume.  Based on obvious supply constraints, I think the estimates touted here are running on the optimistic side.

Posted: 13 March 2011 05:28 AM #9

TetraChloride…

Im going to go out on a limb here, but I’d venture a guess that very few iPads are sold in Libya… so I don’t see that really hindering AAPL… and most Apple products don’t have internal combustion engines. smile

The real action should be in China, and I expect the demand for Apple products there to be very strong going forward.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 06:49 AM #10

I wonder if we should expect major disruption of flash memory supply due to the Japan tsunami and therefore delays in iPad, iPhone production

• Posted: 13 March 2011 07:38 AM #11

I’ve wondered the same thing.  It gets very complex because no one knows what the Apple supply contracts say.  On the one hand we could be hurt by any loss of memory production.  On the other the pre-payment of supply may put us at the top of the supply chain and result in a huge manufacturing advantage over the competition.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 08:25 AM #12

With supply as the constraint Apple should roll worldwide to plant the seed of the new experience. Those who see or hear of the iPad 2 will forgo purchase of the competition’s offerings and wait for the real thing.  Build em baby, build em.

Posted: 13 March 2011 10:44 AM #13

Benchmarks from Anandtech show iPad 2 with truly remarkable graphics power.  Smashes the Xoom/Tegra 2, in fact.  Look out world, the iPad as gaming device has landed!

One more generation of GPU improvement and I can almost see a Retina Display maybe being kinda feasible.  I’d settle for a modest resolution bump, and now there’s more than enough overhead for one.  Can’t wait for iPad 3.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 11:01 AM #14

Weekend : 1.2 million units.
    I am having a hard time buying extreme supply constraints for the iPad 2.  It shares most components with the original iPad so i cant figure out, in my simple mind, why there would be a yield problem given the experience manufacturers have with producing the components.  I also can’t imagine Apple ever planning a release that won’t make the previous years opening sales look like those of a street side lemon aide stand in comparison.  if they were not ready they very easily could have pushed the launch date to April with no negative reaction from consumers since it would match the annual update schedule.
    Lastly, I have to weigh in the “apple haters” that have approached me voicing their intention of buying an iPad 2.  These certainly are not the ones to stand in line for 30 hours but the interest in this product is far and above what I saw in my small world for the original.

Am I missing something?

• Posted: 13 March 2011 11:05 AM #15

I wonder what the apparent success of the iPad2 will have on the current quarter’s earnings.  Remember that Tim Cook threw cold water on the projected numbers back in January.  So, how many iPads total this quarter?  7,000,000?

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.