Joint Venture, Inc.

Posted: 12 March 2011 07:50 PM

On this week’s “Windows Weekly”, Paul Thurrott posits the recent creation of Joint Venture, Inc (google if you’re not familiar) is an indication that Apple intends to take on Microsoft where it hurts—in business.

I agree.

• Posted: 12 March 2011 08:12 PM #1

schLONG - 12 March 2011 11:50 PM

On this week’s “Windows Weekly”, Paul Thurrott posits the recent creation of Joint Venture, Inc (google if you’re not familiar) is an indication that Apple intends to take on Microsoft where it hurts—in business.

I agree.

You could take a look at it that way. I see it as a means to leverage existing infrastructure and assets to exploit a previously underserved market. There are few major markets for Apple to exploit for huge revenue gains and the company will pursue small, medium and large enterprise sales opportunities no matter what Microsoft does and and whether or not Microsoft exists.

• Posted: 12 March 2011 09:05 PM #2

OK, I confess.  I gave a hit to Apple-hater, Paul Thrurrott.  And I am so glad I did, because out of it came one of the great quotes of 2011, so far.

“But Apple has something that Google lacks: Eager, engaged users. This is a serious threat to Microsoft, and one that wasn’t necessarily obvious just a few short weeks ago.”

I even laugh again as I re-read it.  Not obvious “just a few short weeks ago”.  I am starting to believe that writers of this ilk really, really don’t get it.  Previously, I had thought they saw reality and just chose to ignore it due to self-interest.

Posted: 12 March 2011 09:31 PM #3

Paul, yo.  Where were you in 2004.  http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=57518

But even Mac users can be wrong

In any case, it’s clear that Apple’s world-wide market share will continue to drop as cheaper and cheaper PCs land on all the remaining available office desks all over the world.

———

Back on topic:  Joint Venture is yet another Apple effort which is at least a full decade behind the times.  There’s no innovation.  This is catch-up.  Apple is attempting a mini IBM —“international business machines”.

Posted: 12 March 2011 11:05 PM #4

Apple is not known for on-site tech support, especially of businesses.  That is/was the territory of PC makers and IBM.

edit:  something weird about the order of these posts.

[ Edited: 12 March 2011 11:07 PM by Tetrachloride ]      

Posted: 12 March 2011 11:31 PM #5

Apple may be bigger, but for business that’s not always better. When I was visiting their corporate sales folks this week, they had a hard time telling me how to purchase apps in the enterprise. Kinda gave me a white board example of how NASA has built a work-around to get it done, then moved on. These people are the account managers for thousands of seats. There should be one page cheat sheets with all the examples WIRED, locked down, and tied off. That’s how IBM would do it.  Apple still has a “one user, one account” consumer mentality, and it runs through everything they do.  You may need to move across town, but nothing you do will turn your sports car into a pickup truck.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 12 March 2011 11:44 PM #6

rezonate - 13 March 2011 03:31 AM

Apple may be bigger, but for business that’s not always better. When I was visiting their corporate sales folks this week, they had a hard time telling me how to purchase apps in the enterprise. Kinda gave me a white board example of how NASA has built a work-around to get it done, then moved on. These people are the account managers for thousands of seats. There should be one page cheat sheets with all the examples WIRED, locked down, and tied off. That’s how IBM would do it.  Apple still has a “one user, one account” consumer mentality, and it runs through everything they do.  You may need to move across town, but nothing you do will turn your sports car into a pickup truck.

I don’t disagree.  Apple is no IBM when it comes to selling.

But the corporate market is not the small business market.  IBM is not so wonderful when selling to companies with tens of seats (or less) instead of hundreds or thousands.  And as I understand it, it won’t be Apple Corporate in Cupertino selling or delivering the service; it will be the local staff.

• Posted: 12 March 2011 11:47 PM #7

Tetrachloride - 13 March 2011 01:31 AM

Back on topic:  Joint Venture is yet another Apple effort which is at least a full decade behind the times.  There’s no innovation.  This is catch-up.  Apple is attempting a mini IBM —“international business machines”.

I wouldn’t call Apple’s efforts a “mini IBM.” As of this quarter, Apple is bigger than Big Blue.  grin

• Posted: 13 March 2011 08:17 AM #8

NASA figured out how to use Apple tools. That should not have been too difficult for an outfit that uses liquid hydrogen and explores the solar system. Not all enterprises are so blessed with such technical talent but I feel strongly that all of enterprise is tasked with finding and using the best tools to remain competitive. The lack of initiative in business to explore better alternatives cannot be laid at Apples feet. The studies of reduced IT support costs with Apple equipment have existed for years. Apple should not supply an army of hand holders so every small business can feel warm and fuzzy with their new choice. If the employees are flocking to Apple devices and using them to replace their equipment at work, why is it incumbent on Apple to explain to management what’s going on in their own offices. Those hand holders mean increased cost of sales to Apple. I for one don’t think it is money well spent.

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:37 PM #9

capablanca - 13 March 2011 03:44 AM

But the corporate market is not the small business market.? IBM is not so wonderful when selling to companies with tens of seats (or less) instead of hundreds or thousands.

Exactly! The business segment Apple is targeting is controlled primarily by owners. Apple still doesn’t want to deal with corporate “orifices”. IT departments are akin to government entities. They exist primarily to ensure their own existence and growth. Apple products are designed to reduce the need for such “services”.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 02:30 PM #10

danthemason - 13 March 2011 11:17 AM

NASA figured out how to use Apple tools. That should not have been too difficult for an outfit that uses liquid hydrogen and explores the solar system. Not all enterprises are so blessed with such technical talent but I feel strongly that all of enterprise is tasked with finding and using the best tools to remain competitive. The lack of initiative in business to explore better alternatives cannot be laid at Apples feet. The studies of reduced IT support costs with Apple equipment have existed for years. Apple should not supply an army of hand holders so every small business can feel warm and fuzzy with their new choice. If the employees are flocking to Apple devices and using them to replace their equipment at work, why is it incumbent on Apple to explain to management what’s going on in their own offices. Those hand holders mean increased cost of sales to Apple. I for one don’t think it is money well spent.

Joint Venture services are provided for a fee. Apple isn’t offering the services without charge and it’s an avenue for small enterprises to provide employees with Apple product training without the ongoing costs of an in-house tech person or team.