Eric.  Got yo facetime in the dash right here!

• Posted: 12 March 2011 09:04 PM

Just a few install tips for your new ride.  smile  If it were me I’d order at least an extra bezel.  Looks kind of gooey.  Find it here.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 12 March 2011 09:10 PM #1

Hilarious watching him trying to get Ford Sync to recognize the bluetooth accessory.  I so wish the auto manufacturers would just allow Apple to provide their bits seamlessly.  All of them going down their own roads and uniformly ending up with worse products then an iPad seems so unproductive.  Yes, I’m speaking to you BMW.

Signature

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:26 AM #2

BillH - 13 March 2011 01:10 AM

Hilarious watching him trying to get Ford Sync to recognize the bluetooth accessory.  I so wish the auto manufacturers would just allow Apple to provide their bits seamlessly.  All of them going down their own roads and uniformly ending up with worse products then an iPad seems so unproductive.  Yes, I’m speaking to you BMW.

For less than the $2495 I’m paying for the 8” Navi system, I could have an iPad2 in my new iPhone accessory? Wouldn’t it be easier to plug it in and duct tape it to the dash?

Smile.

The sales guy told me that I could stream toe-tappers from my iPhone through bluetooth to the Navi hi-fi system. So right there in the showroom I paired my iPhone and then attempted to stream over bluetooth toe-tappers. It didn’t work but unlike the guy in the video, the voice recognition recognized my winning, Swedish, tiger blood and functioned properly.

Rarrrgh!

[ Edited: 13 March 2011 12:29 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 12:49 AM #3

Eric Landstrom - 13 March 2011 04:26 AM
    BillH - 13 March 2011 01:10 AM

For less than the $2495 I’m paying for the 8” Navi system, I could have an iPad2 in my new iPhone accessory? Wouldn’t it be easier to plug it in and duct tape it to the dash?

Smile.

The sales guy told me that I could stream toe-tappers from my iPhone through bluetooth to the Navi hi-fi system. So right there in the showroom I paired my iPhone and then attempted to stream over bluetooth toe-tappers. It didn’t work but unlike the guy in the video, the voice recognition recognized my winning, Swedish, tiger blood and functioned properly.

Rarrrgh!

Funny stuff.  Still love watching the modders do their thing.  Heading north tomorrow and trying to recover from Edina’s loss in the semis.  For those here that have never witnessed the Minnesota Boy’s High School hockey tournament picture Miracle on Ice but with a higher drama level. smile  Streamed nicely on my Macbook Pro.  Not available for iPad.  Wife was bummed.  Bet money it’s a different scenario (flash wise) one year from today.  Congrats to State Champions Eden Prairie, victorious over Duluth East in triple overtime 3-2.

Signature

• Posted: 13 March 2011 09:18 AM #4

Unique - 13 March 2011 08:37 AM

Great find. What was that glue material they applied on the board? And the girl at 5:10 is icing on the cake. I will ask my friend if he could do this for my car.

Not sure what you meant by glue material but they started building up the original bezel with fiberglass mat and epoxy resin.  I’m guessing it was bondo they used to fill in the gaps which was then sanded and painted.  Wish they would have shown a closeup of the right side that protruded to facilitate the insertion and removal.  Automobiles are the best use case for a 7” iPad.

Signature

Posted: 13 March 2011 01:19 PM #5

ipads have been installed in a lot of vehicles. This link shows my favorite install, it look professional and does not protrude out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who&feature=related

I have seen one installed into a corvette also, but I do not have a link, sorry.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 13 March 2011 02:18 PM #6

Unique - 13 March 2011 08:37 AM

Great find. What was that glue material they applied on the board? And the girl at 5:10 is icing on the cake. I will ask my friend if he could do this for my car.

They’re using fiber glass and bondo and rattle-can paint.

Take out the stock center bezel.
    Wrap and protect it with plastic wrap ( Saran ? or Reynolds).
    Put on a ventilator or get outside and lay down the fiber glass using the bezel as a template.
    Let dry and wearing the ventilator, cut excess off.
    Saran Wrap an Ipod and use it as a template for more fiber glass making certain that you leave enough room to remove the iPad.
    Let cure and trim.
    Fill with Bondo, and finish sanding.
    Rattle can primer and let dry and rattle can on your dash color.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 13 March 2011 02:22 PM #7

BillH - 13 March 2011 04:49 AM

Still love watching the modders do their thing.  Heading north tomorrow and trying to recover from Edina’s loss in the semis.  For those here that have never witnessed the Minnesota Boy’s High School hockey tournament picture Miracle on Ice but with a higher drama level. smile  Streamed nicely on my Macbook Pro.  Not available for iPad.  Wife was bummed.  Bet money it’s a different scenario (flash wise) one year from today.  Congrats to State Champions Eden Prairie, victorious over Duluth East in triple overtime 3-2.

Wow. You made me miss Minnesota in winter…didn’t think that was possible. wink

Posted: 13 March 2011 02:26 PM #8

mbeauch - 13 March 2011 04:19 PM

ipads have been installed in a lot of vehicles. This link shows my favorite install, it look professional and does not protrude out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who&feature=related

I have seen one installed into a corvette also, but I do not have a link, sorry.

That is a well done install.

I wouldn’t be caught dead with something like that in my vehicles but I can appreciate the design.

Signature

Posted: 13 March 2011 02:29 PM #9

lovemyipad - 13 March 2011 05:22 PM
    BillH - 13 March 2011 04:49 AM

Still love watching the modders do their thing.  Heading north tomorrow and trying to recover from Edina’s loss in the semis.  For those here that have never witnessed the Minnesota Boy’s High School hockey tournament picture Miracle on Ice but with a higher drama level. smile  Streamed nicely on my Macbook Pro.  Not available for iPad.  Wife was bummed.  Bet money it’s a different scenario (flash wise) one year from today.  Congrats to State Champions Eden Prairie, victorious over Duluth East in triple overtime 3-2.

Wow. You made me miss Minnesota in winter…didn’t think that was possible. wink

Allow me to refresh your memory of Minnesota winters.

Signature

Posted: 13 March 2011 02:56 PM #10

Pffffft! raspberry We’ve lived in a lot snowier places…MN snow is wimpy by comparison…it’s the cold…brrrrr that frigid MN COLD!  Have not experienced anything like the cold dry bite of MN winter.  But then, I also remember that lovely sunshine you can get on bitter cold winter days…very, very different from other places in the snowbelt with constant gray.  Blech.

I miss Minnesota. :(

Posted: 13 March 2011 08:07 PM #11

lovemyipad - 13 March 2011 05:56 PM

Pffffft! raspberry We’ve lived in a lot snowier places…MN snow is wimpy by comparison…it’s the cold…brrrrr that frigid MN COLD!  Have not experienced anything like the cold dry bite of MN winter.  But then, I also remember that lovely sunshine you can get on bitter cold winter days…very, very different from other places in the snowbelt with constant gray.  Blech.

Truthfully, most Minnesotans wonder why anybody moves away in the first place.

Signature

• Posted: 13 March 2011 08:17 PM #12

Eric Landstrom - 13 March 2011 11:07 PM
    lovemyipad - 13 March 2011 05:56 PM

Truthfully, most Minnesotans wonder why anybody moves away in the first place.

Most don’t.  One of the problems that multi-nationals have had is getting their employees to move out once their tour of duty is over.  I’ve known many that ended up seeking employment elsewhere rather than agree to another transfer.  Sunny and warm in Fort Myers for the game tomorrow.  You have 4 more days to discard of the white stuff.  wink

Signature

Posted: 13 March 2011 09:33 PM #13

Bill, you like it so much that you have left for a month. tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 13 March 2011 10:13 PM #14

So what car company will be the first to use the ipad as their user interface for HVAC/Nav/sound/on board computer?  Why would a car company waste time on reinventing the wheel (no pun intended)?  Spend your time on some kick ass app to control all systems of the car.

Posted: 13 March 2011 10:16 PM #15

Yep, I know it.  I never wanted to leave. Still have family and many best buds there.  For our eight years there, I told my husband we were never moving ever again.  What happened was that I consented to an expat assignment (for his work), fully believing it was a round-trip ticket.  We even kept our house vacant, planning to return.  Then while away, hubby was stolen by another company with HQ in another state.  Great career move but heartbreaking personally.  Will always consider MN one of our homes.