iPad 2 Teardown

Posted: 13 March 2011 12:40 PM

iSuppli iPad2 Teardown article at All Things Digital

Bodes well for gross margins.

In this case the estimates are for the 3G version of the iPad, and there are two estimates, one for the AT&T version ? $326.60, and one for the Verizon Wireless version ? $323.35. Some of the wireless chips used in the AT&T version are a little more expensive or require an extra part.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 13 March 2011 01:21 PM #1

Another important fact in the teardown

The baseband wireless chips were naturally different because AT&T and Verizon use different wireless technologies. Intel, the new owner of the former wireless chip division of Infineon, supplied the main wireless chip in the AT&T version, with supporting chips coming from TriQuint Semiconductor and Skyworks for a combined cost of $18.70.

So Apple has stuck with Infineon for the GSM baseband which means they probably also held onto the slot for the iPhone 5.  This should create a nice price competition for those slots in the iPad 3 and iPhone 6 as Apple makes the move to a LTE capable chipset.

• Posted: 14 March 2011 01:51 AM #2

Another teardown.  Two things I noted are the size of the A5 (12x10) and the clock speed being variable based on the application being run.

Posted: 14 March 2011 01:55 AM #3

Maybe it’s just me but I’m a bit aghast that this new ipad is glued together. That’s really NO BUENO ............ :evil:

• Posted: 14 March 2011 10:16 AM #4

johnG - 14 March 2011 04:55 AM

Maybe it’s just me but I’m a bit aghast that this new ipad is glued together. That’s really NO BUENO ............ :evil:

It’s an Appliance not a computer. Do you really want screws to catch your fingers on?

Signature

Posted: 14 March 2011 10:31 AM #5

Apple (AAPL) iPad 2 BOM Nearly Identical to First Verison - IHS

Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) made news last week with the launch of its latest
    tablet computer, and despite all the enhancements over its predecessor, the iPad
    2’s bill of materials is roughly the same.
    According to research firm IHS, the 32 GB iPad 2 model with a GSM/HSPA air
    standard has a BOM of $326.60, which is just slightly higher than the $323.25
    for the first iPad.
    “Despite the obvious changes to iPad like the enclosure and the battery and the
    less obvious changes in the touch screen, the iPad 2’s components and design are
    remarkably similar if not the same as those of the iPad 1,” said Andrew
    Rassweiler, teardown services manager for IHS.
    Rassweiler added that the components “have the same suppliers and are
    essentially new revisions of the chips found in the previous iPad and other
    iPhones.”
    It was news when Apple announced the iPad 2 and all of its enhancements while
    keeping the entry price of $499, which has allowed the company to keep its
    market dominance in the tablet sector.
    Analysts have speculated that the iPad 2 sold in the range 400,000 to 600,000 in
    the first three days following its launch on Friday.

• Posted: 14 March 2011 10:59 AM #6

It will be interesting to see next year if Apple can add higher quality cameras and keep the margins tight. When I was playing with the new iPad at the local Apple Store, I took a few photos. When you’re lining up the shot, the image in the Camera App looks crystal clear. But when you view the captured image and zoom in even slightly, people’s faces take on lizard like scaling?jpeg artifacts. The rear camera obviously is only intended for FaceTime views, or e-mailing images you will never want to print.

• Posted: 14 March 2011 11:05 AM #7

willrob - 14 March 2011 01:59 PM

It will be interesting to see next year if Apple can add higher quality cameras and keep the margins tight. When I was playing with the new iPad at the local Apple Store, I took a few photos. When you’re lining up the shot, the image in the Camera App looks crystal clear. But when you view the captured image and zoom in even slightly, people’s faces take on lizard like scaling?jpeg artifacts. The rear camera obviously is only intended for FaceTime views, or e-mailing images you will never want to print.

Yup that’s what a less than a megapixel camera looks like.

As a shareholder would you want the high quality cameras going into the lower margined iPad or the higher margined iPhone?

I think this is probably a case of a finite supply of high quality cameras, and of course, cost.

Signature

• Posted: 14 March 2011 11:07 AM #8

It’s just you.  wink  Seriously though, it makes for a stronger assembly with less flexing which may have been the reason they could go to thinner glass which saves weight.  It should also be less susceptible to liquid intrusion from my spilled coffee.  It’s hard to get too excited about any difficulty of disassembly when the additional tool required is a hair dryer.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 14 March 2011 11:12 AM #9

BillH - 14 March 2011 02:07 PM

It’s just you.  wink  Seriously though, it makes for a stronger assembly with less flexing which may have been the reason they could go to thinner glass which saves weight.  It should also be less susceptible to liquid intrusion from my spilled coffee.  It’s hard to get too excited about any difficulty of disassembly when the additional tool required is a hair dryer.

I was thinking about aliens.  Some aliens are better at magically removing screws. Some could dissolve glue.  It seems there are more of first type.

• Posted: 14 March 2011 11:17 AM #10

Tetrachloride - 14 March 2011 02:12 PM
    BillH - 14 March 2011 02:07 PM

I was thinking about aliens.  Some aliens are better at magically removing screws. Some could dissolve glue.  It seems there are more of first type.

Back away from the coffee…,that’s it…  :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 15 March 2011 04:57 PM #11

Wireless End to Endhas some additional technical details on the RF section in iPad 2 and some possible implications for iPhone 5.

Another first for iPad 2 is a CDMA version is available with Verizon service plans in addition to GSM and WiFi-only models. iPad2 CDMA and iPhone CDMA that came out in February used Qualcomm chipset as opposed to the Infineon chips used in the earlier GSM versions of iPhone and iPad. Most interesting aspect was the use of Qualcomm MDM6600 as the baseband processor. MDM6600 is a GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/EV-DO multi-mode processor. Its presence in iPhone CDMA gave the impression that Apple is moving away from Infineon to consolidate around the use of Qualcomm Gobi chipset.

However, iPad 2 GSM version proved that Apple wasn?t ready to give up on Infineon for its GSM line-up. It continued to use Infineon chipset (PMB9801 for baseband and PMB5703 for transceiver). Biggest addition in iPad 2 GSM was the addition of support for UMTS band 8 (Global (except US) 900 MHz) with respect to the original iPad that had support for UMTS band 1 (Global (except US) 2100 MHz), band 2 (US 1900 MHz) and band 5 (US 850 MHz) and band 6 (Japan 800 MHz).  GSM carriers in many countries started re-farming their 2G assets for WCDMA / HSPA. This accelerated the need for supporting 900 MHz similar to iPhone 4 that came out in June 2010. Once again Apple shunned the UMTS band 4 (AWS band used by T-Mobile USA).

Baseband processor in the GSM version of iPad 2 and iPhone 4 is the Infineon PMB9801 which does not even support HSPA+. It is a HSDPA category 8 device with a peak throughput of 7.2 Mb/s compared to MDM6600 which is a category 10 device with a peak throughput of 14.4 Mb/s. Considering handsets such as HTC Thunderbolt, tablets such as Motorola Xoom use Qualcomm MDM9600 with Dual Carrier HSPA support (category 24) with a peak throughput of 42 Mb/s as well as LTE, it is hard to imagine Apple will stay with its current baseband processors beyond 2011.
    Qualcomm has consolidated its leadership of HSPA+ support especially compared to Infineon. Infineon?s comparable chipset is XMM6260 which supports HSPA category 14 (21 Mb/s peak throughput) which starts volume production in the second quarter of this year whereas Qualcomm has multiple processors including MDM9600 and MDM8960 (HSPA+/LTE/EV-DO), MDM8220 (HSPA+) that it has been volume producing for some time.

Predictions:

iPhone 5 will not have LTE. Neither the technology adoption nor component maturity is at the right level to justify potential compromises.
    iPhone 5 will be a world-phone using Qualcomm MDM6600. Even though Apple prefers not to change its proven designs frequently, MDM6600 is simply superior to legacy Infineon baseband processor and it simplifies GPS implementation.
    iPhone 5 will have UMTS band 4 (AWS spectrum). This might simply be wishful thinking.
    iPad 3 in March 2012 will have LTE support using MDM9600 or MDM8960.

Posted: 17 March 2011 03:16 PM #12

Of course they glued it together. I just bough a set of pentalobe screwdrivers. smile

Industrial strength adhesive, I wonder what is the temperature range. What does it takes to separate the glass from the frame for repair a hair drier, a heat gun. Providing it is even repairable. As an AAPL stock holder I hope that the iPad won’t come apart when left a hot car.

As BillH says there are some pluses to using adhesive.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 17 March 2011 04:09 PM #13

This is why we have duct tape. Available in both black AND white.