RamDisk Anyone w/ Info

Posted: 13 March 2011 04:54 PM

Off in the long ago when I switched from my Apple 2e to an Atari
    (I needed the midi ports) there was a script or applet that gave one the ability to
    set aside a section of Ram that was used as a “Ram Disk. I now have an iMac mid 2007- core 2 duo - 2.4 GHz OS 10.6.6 * I also installed 6 GB ram.
    I do a lot of photo stuff and it’s slowing down>  The question as mentioned above - ram disk Thanks for any input,
    Toni

Posted: 15 March 2011 12:06 PM #1

Modern OS’s like OSX do intelligent disk cacheing, so I suspect even if you set aide 2GB as a RAM disk, and moved the data you were immediately working on there, you wouldn’t see a performance improvement.

However, if you want to try, you can google osx ramdisk. I found this command that should work:

diskutil erasevolume HFS+ “ramdisk” `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://1165430`

Posted: 18 April 2011 04:32 PM #2

Thanks for the quick response (unlike mine) ** I decided to upgrade to a 2010 iMAC _ of course that opens another can o worms

Thanks Again

toni

Posted: 19 April 2011 12:00 AM #3

Excellent.

In order of priority, get a complete CLONED backup of your current Mac. 

MacOSX Combo 10.6.7, Perian, VLC, TinkerTool.

I also like Keyboard Maestro and/or iKey, but I’m in the minority.

DropBox is popular.

Additional browsers: Omniweb, Firefox, Opera, Chrome are my recommendations in order of preference

iLife 11 (order this right away for $ 10 if your Mac comes with iLife 09.  Then, you don’t need to pay full price for an update).

Depending on your patience and skill, you may or may not want to use Migration Assistant to transfer your files.  I did not and was able to simplify my system to my liking.

good luck