iPad 2 AFB reviews

Posted: 13 March 2011 06:04 PM

Well I am typing this on my new iPad 2.  The old keyboard does work with it.

This new iPad is sweet.  Much much faster and to me the screenseems even more brighter and sharper.

The speaker is pretty cool as well.  Will need to play with it more and check it out before I can comment on other improved features.

Posted: 13 March 2011 06:55 PM #1

My iPad 1 is bright enough !  (indoors).  In some case, I turn the brightness all the way down and its still a bit too bright.  Can I go snowblind with a 2 ?

Posted: 14 March 2011 06:31 PM #2

I had only a brief moment to play with one on Saturday at a college store, so I focused on the new stuff. It’s noticeably thinner, but it’s not that striking until you see it beside the old one. I didn’t have my iPad 1 with me, but they brought me one to compare. Man, my iPad looks like a brick next to the iPad 2.

An interesting fact related to the comparison: the employee asked a senior person about keeping an iPad 1 out for comparison and was told that Apple MarCom (marketing and communications) permits displaying the iPad 1, but not on the same table with the iPad 2.

The cover is very cool, and if you’re really worried about getting the microfiber dirty, you can fold it the other way. But it’s not as sturdy.

I was quite taken with the rear camera view. Not sure why, but there’s something impressive about viewing the camera feed on the large iPad screen.

The front camera is at the top in portrait mode. All video conferencing has a parallax problem, where it looks a little odd since you’re looking off camera at the screen. But when you switch to landscape mode it’s terrible. It makes you look like that goofy Michele Bachmann video (no political commentary intended). The parallax is much more pronounced than on the iPhone because of the greater distance from the camera to the center of the screen.

I assume some day they’ll find a way to embed the camera in the center of the screen without messing up the display. That would be really cool and vastly improve the psychological impact.

All in all, I’m sticking with my iPad 1 for now, but I think it’s a great update.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 14 March 2011 06:50 PM #3

iPad 2 image processing capacity are likely enough to correct faceview image for parallax that would be a nice software improvement.

Posted: 14 March 2011 07:23 PM #4

omacvi - 13 March 2011 09:04 PM

This new iPad is sweet.  Much much faster and to me the screenseems even more brighter and sharper.

The speaker is pretty cool as well.  Will need to play with it more and check it out before I can comment on other improved features.

Try disconnecting the bluetooth for the keyboard from the original ipad.  The keyboard only likes to be connected to one thing at a time and it can be a pain if it is associated with another ipad or laptop or mac.  Takes a bit of tinkering but it should connect eventually.  Might have to reboot the keyboard.

Posted: 14 March 2011 07:23 PM #5

Try disconnecting the bluetooth for the keyboard from the original ipad.  The keyboard only likes to be connected to one thing at a time and it can be a pain if it is associated with another ipad or laptop or mac.  Takes a bit of tinkering but it should connect eventually.  Might have to reboot the keyboard.

Posted: 14 March 2011 08:03 PM #6

Bryanyc - 14 March 2011 10:23 PM

... Takes a bit of tinkering but it should connect eventually.  Might have to reboot the keyboard.

How to reboot the keyboard?  What kind of tinkering?  I can’t associate the blue tooth keyboard with the iPad even though I’ve disconnect it from the iMac and removed the battery and put them back again.  iPad can’t discover it.  According to Apple’s website, the Apple keyboard with 3 AAs should work with iPad.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 March 2011 12:00 AM #7

Apple II+ - 14 March 2011 09:31 PM

It’s noticeably thinner, but it’s not that striking until you see it beside the old one. I didn’t have my iPad 1 with me, but they brought me one to compare. Man, my iPad looks like a brick next to the iPad 2.

I was listening to the TWIT podcast this afternoon. Someone - and this was a tech person on the panel mind you - said that the original iPad was larger than it had to be so that Apple could make the iPad 2 smaller by contrast.

Honest to God, it’s times like this when I despair for humanity.

• Posted: 15 March 2011 01:26 AM #8

First impressions on my iPad 2 64GB:

1.  More comfortable to hold with the smooth back (no edges on the back).
    2.  Speed:  Fewer checkerboard squares with content on the internet.  Photos draw faster and App start up time is reduced, as confirmed by speed tests performed by others.
    3.  Smart cover is a must have, as it offers protection (albeit limited) on the glass and retains the thin profile.  I never liked the original Apple cover, as functional as it was.
    4.  Speaker is noticeably better.
    5.  The tapered back offers a slightly less secure fit with the connector pin, exposing more of the hardware.
    6.  Thin is in:  I can more easily slide this in my portfolio sleeve (Coach), minimizing the bulk.
    7.  As noted on Engadget, there is some minor “light bleed” on one edge (long side) when playing wide-screen video (letterbox).  Somewhat concerned, I then compared it to my iPad 1 and the same light-bleed is there as well.  If Engadget didn’t call it to my attention, I would not have noticed it.  The light-bleed is slightly more on the iPad 2, but this is probably due to manufacturing tolerances—there is very subtle difference between the two.  I don’t thin the light-bleed is unique to iPad 2 and am curious about impressions by others on this point.
    8.  The screen is a whiter white, which I prefer. 

It is a solid, evolutionary upgrade.  I appreciate the extra graphics horsepower and form factor above all else.  I’ll add comments later after I use it more.  It strikes me as a true business machine, now looking more the part with the leather smart cover.

Posted: 15 March 2011 01:42 AM #9

Mace - 14 March 2011 11:03 PM

... Takes a bit of tinkering but it should connect eventually.  Might have to reboot the keyboard.

How to reboot the keyboard?  What kind of tinkering?  I can’t associate the blue tooth keyboard with the iPad even though I’ve disconnect it from the iMac and removed the battery and put them back again.  iPad can’t discover it.  According to Apple’s website, the Apple keyboard with 3 AAs should work with iPad.

It is just a PITA this bluetooth keyboard pairing.  I had to go around a couple of times to get it to work (with iPad 1).  Just keep at it, turning it off and on: the keyboard is available to pair when it blinks (after being disconnected from the original computer), it is a short window of time, 30 seconds or so.  Good luck!

[ Edited: 15 March 2011 01:44 AM by Bryanyc ]      

Posted: 15 March 2011 11:45 AM #10

I think you may have misread what omacvi wrote. He indicated that the old keyboard does work with the the iPad 2, not that it doesn’t work with the iPad 2. No further need for troubleshooting tips here. Move along… Move along… wink

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 15 March 2011 11:56 AM #11

Mercel

When did you get yours?

Loving mine simply because I loved the iPad 1.  I love the thin size and the cover.  The Daily loads about 3x faster.

The camera sucks.  Apple could have put in a much better one, but I think they are waiting for the iPad HD next year, which I will be forced to get. :-D

I find the battery takes longer to charge.

• Posted: 15 March 2011 12:01 PM #12

My Apple Store received a supply Monday. 

Do you have any light bleed on the edge watching movies?

• Posted: 15 March 2011 12:01 PM #13

Double post

Posted: 15 March 2011 12:08 PM #14

Mercel - 15 March 2011 03:01 PM

My Apple Store received a supply Monday. 

Do you have any light bleed on the edge watching movies?

Glad to hear they got some in yesterday.

Did not notice any bleeding.

Posted: 15 March 2011 12:28 PM #15

“I was quite taken with the rear camera view. Not sure why, but there?s something impressive about viewing the camera feed on the large iPad screen.”

Yes, it is like the large format camera we had in my high school’s photography club.

I want a bigger border around the screen so that my thumbs don’t activate something by accident. Otherwise I am very happy with my decision to get an iPad 2.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster