AT&T offering discounted ipads

Posted: 19 March 2011 02:27 AM

Got another email from AT&T today offering a discounted ipad ($200 off), plus the free month. This is for the 3g model, but hey 429 for a 16g/3g ipad 1 is a pretty sweet deal.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 19 March 2011 03:10 AM #1

mbeauch - 19 March 2011 05:27 AM

Got another email from AT&T today offering a discounted ipad ($200 off), plus the free month. This is for the 3g model, but hey 429 for a 16g/3g ipad 1 is a pretty sweet deal.

Too sweet; the deal is interfering with my iPad price on craigslist.

Posted: 19 March 2011 11:56 AM #2

Mercel - 19 March 2011 06:10 AM

Mercel, I’ll take it off your hands for $100.  :-D

• Posted: 19 March 2011 01:41 PM #3

madmaxroi - 19 March 2011 02:56 PM
    Mercel - 19 March 2011 06:10 AM

Mercel, I’ll take it off your hands for $100.  :-D

I’s autographed. You’ll have to pay him at least a couple of hundred dollars more.  :wink:

• Posted: 19 March 2011 01:43 PM #4

In all seriousness it’s an indication there’s an overhang of original iPad inventory following the launch of iPad 2. This may suggest iPad unit sales in the March quarter may not be as strong as some AFB members have suggested.

Posted: 19 March 2011 01:47 PM #5

DawnTreader - 19 March 2011 04:43 PM

In all seriousness it’s an indication there’s an overhang of original iPad inventory following the launch of iPad 2. This may suggest iPad unit sales in the March quarter may not be as strong as some AFB members have suggested.

That may be the case, however I think they were selling so well that ATT ordered a ton.  Apple kept them in the dark regarding the next version release date and when everyone was shocked to see the iPad 2 come out March 11 instead of early April, they were left with quite a few.  It is clear from reports that ATT 3G units are very popular.

• Posted: 19 March 2011 02:04 PM #6

Is this offer by invitation only?  I’m ATT wireless customer and did not get an email from ATT regarding this offer.

• Posted: 19 March 2011 02:05 PM #7

omacvi - 19 March 2011 04:47 PM
    DawnTreader - 19 March 2011 04:43 PM

That may be the case, however I think they were selling so well that ATT ordered a ton.  Apple kept them in the dark regarding the next version release date and when everyone was shocked to see the iPad 2 come out March 11 instead of early April, they were left with quite a few.  It is clear from reports that ATT 3G units are very popular.

Apple ended the December quarter with 4 to 6 weeks of channel inventory. There’s obviously supply remaining in the channel. Outside of the Apple iPad a consumer market for tablets does not currently exist. The iPad is an excellent product and the iPad 2 will be a global success. The question is how many iPads did Apple sell in the March quarter and why did Apple announce and ship the updated product with inventory levels relatively high on the original.

To suggest AT&T was kept in the dark really doesn’t hold water. I don’t know of an informed and aware consumer who wasn’t expecting the release of the iPad 2 in either late March or early April.

Posted: 19 March 2011 03:53 PM #8

alice - 19 March 2011 05:04 PM

Is this offer by invitation only?  I’m ATT wireless customer and did not get an email from ATT regarding this offer.

It might be Alice, the fine print does say that it is for me, but if you want me to forward the email to you just PM me your email address. The fact that they are discounting and still giving the free month is a sign that AT&T is wanting to clear out inventory. (Don’t blame them)

I tell you what, If AT&T did this (with contract) with the 2nd version, Apple would have to build another factory.  :drool:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 19 March 2011 04:46 PM #9

As far as Apple is concerned, it’s still a sale.  But I was kinda hoping AT&T wouldn’t discount its remaining inventory by quite that much.  Y’know, shades of “quite smooth” selling from the retailer to consumer side of things.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 March 2011 04:55 PM #10

I’m not sure how many they had “left over,” but they were offering the 32G and 64G at the same price. It makes some sense to do this when you realize they had no 32G models to sell. The 64G is going for $529 with free shipping.

Posted: 19 March 2011 06:06 PM #11

willrob - 19 March 2011 07:55 PM

I’m not sure how many they had “left over,” but they were offering the 32G and 64G at the same price. It makes some sense to do this when you realize they had no 32G models to sell. The 64G is going for $529 with free shipping.

The 32 GB units are no longer available online. $529 for a 64 GB iPad is a helluva deal!

Verizon is standing pat with their iPad Wi-Fi + MiFi packages. Stupid.

Posted: 19 March 2011 06:15 PM #12

For those who don’t feel the need for 2x CPU and 9x graphics (and not everyone needs it, I guess), $529 is a great price for yesterday’s best iPad.  The $300 in savings buys a lot of on-demand data.

Maybe I’ll wait until March 2013 for a bargain-basement deal on a just-new iPad 3 64/128GB + 3G?  :innocent:

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 March 2011 06:29 PM #13

Mav - 19 March 2011 09:15 PM

For those who don’t feel the need for 2x CPU and 9x graphics (and not everyone needs it, I guess), $529 is a great price for yesterday’s best iPad.  The $300 in savings buys a lot of on-demand data.

Maybe I’ll wait until March 2013 for a bargain-basement deal on a just-new iPad 3 64/128GB + 3G?  :innocent:

These offers must be quite attractive to bulk buyers such as educational institutions and corporate buyers (which immguessing have little need for the faster ipad 2)

Although the mirroring feature of the ipad 2 is rather handy for presentations I presume…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics