Hardware design and marketing

Posted: 21 March 2011 04:44 PM #16

My first Mac at home was a Performa5200 - it’s a wonder I ever bought another computer from that company smile

Currently I don’t know why they even bother with mice.  THey’ve really never been competitive with that, and it just gives fuel to the Mac haters - “macs only have a one button mouse”

Now Microsoft, there’s a company that can make a good mouse.

• Posted: 21 March 2011 05:27 PM #17

jimlongo - 21 March 2011 07:44 PM

Currently I don’t know why they even bother with mice.  THey’ve really never been competitive with that, and it just gives fuel to the Mac haters - “macs only have a one button mouse”

Now Microsoft, there’s a company that can make a good mouse.

Don’t you find it interesting that a company that can be so good in so many ways can have such an obvious and ongoing weak spot? John Siricusa in his Hypercritical Podcast takes Apple to task for all of its flaws, but in a loving, almost sentimental way. Highly, HIGHLY recommended for those who listen to Podcasts.

Last week Siricusa explained why Apple has had such trouble with MobileMe and why it may not bode well for Apple’s North Carolina server farm. I wanted to go back and write a long post on it, but it’s hard to study a Podcast.

Posted: 21 March 2011 06:38 PM #18

Thanks, I’m going to take a listen to it now.
    Are you speaking of the Mar 18th podcast?

Posted: 21 March 2011 06:59 PM #19

There are a few things I actually hate about my iPhone.

First is the stupid ear buds. They get tangled and caught on everything. Is it so hard to make some decent wireless buds?

Second is the iPod functionality. If you forget to hit the sleep button, as I usually do, and stick it in your pocket, it almost invariably switches to shuffle mode and the song changes. Annoying!

Third is The fact that an incoming call destroys in-progress Skype connections.

Fourth is, when you click on a “recent” call, it automatically dials instead of bringing you to that contact’s info page. Lame.

Fifth is the terrible habit of Safari pages automatically reloading when you jump between them. God forbid you were typing something, lost forever.

There’s a few others, but that’s all I can think of right now.

/

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 21 March 2011 07:04 PM #20

jimlongo - 21 March 2011 09:38 PM

Yes, the March 18th podcast entitled: “#10: Like Giving a Machine Gun to a Baby”

Siricusa’s podcasts are not topical. You can go back and listen to them all without feeling they are dated. They pick from a long list of topics that the host and he accumulate. They often spend far too long following up the previous week’s podcast, but there are so many nuggets of gold in each podcast that I’m willing to ignore any imperfections. Hope you agree.

If you get a chance, let me (all of us) know what you think.

Posted: 21 March 2011 08:06 PM #21

FalKirk - 21 March 2011 10:04 PM
    jimlongo - 21 March 2011 09:38 PM

Yes, the March 18th podcast entitled: “#10: Like Giving a Machine Gun to a Baby”

Siricusa’s podcasts are not topical. You can go back and listen to them all without feeling they are dated. They pick from a long list of topics that the host and he accumulate. They often spend far too long following up the previous week’s podcast, but there are so many nuggets of gold in each podcast that I’m willing to ignore any imperfections. Hope you agree.

If you get a chance, let me (all of us) know what you think.

These guys talk a lot, and very fast, it would be nice to have a transcript.

There’s really not much debate Apple has a bad track record at cloud services. Other than iTunes and the App store, which are really in a different class as read-only services, they just suck at this. 

Now where’s our new friend redge when we’re going to really bash apple?

My take-aways from their discussion :

1.  The Apple philosophy of “doing it our way” which works in the hardware and software world, is anti-thetical to the on-line cloud based services such as are epitomized by google.  They need to learn to play with everyone else if they’re going to be successful here.

2.  Free, free, free.  Why can’t they spend some of those billions building something that works?  Where’s the philosophy of using these services to sell more hardware.  I had one of the original mac.com email addresses, it’s still my appleuserid, even though I dropped it after the first year when they decided they wanted $100 per user for it.  No business is going to succeed at this when I can get a perfectly good and reliable gmail account for free.

3.  Build the infrastructure from the ground up properly.  The outages of mobile me and every other apple attempt at on-line services are embarrassing.  Thus the title “Like giving a Machine Gun to a Baby” . . . all that power to a company that just doesn’t get it.  Perhaps they’re just using it to sell apps and movies.

4.  one good suggestion - buy Dropbox.  In al short amount of time, with an iPad, I can’t really live without it. But on the other hand if Apple did this, they’d probably want you to pay for it.

5.  The one thing I didn’t agree with Siracusa on was his affinity for web based email.  I’ve never liked it.  I much prefer an email client.

6.  Ping.  I don’t even know what to say here.  Does anyone use it?  Again a closed eco-system that only works within iTunes.  What’s to like here.  They speculate that the breakdown of the Apple - Facebook agreement is what killed this.

7.  Last thing.  The speculation of what would have happened if Apple and Google could have remained friends, stayed out of each others territory, and agreed to carve the world up between them.  Ahh, I guess we’ll never know how that might have turned out now.

Anyway on the general topic of their podcast, it’s great, just seemed a little long.  I think they could’ve made all the points in 45 minutes.  I don’t know where I’d find the time on a continuing basis.

• Posted: 21 March 2011 08:39 PM #22

jimlongo - 21 March 2011 11:06 PM

Anyway on the general topic of their podcast, it’s great, just seemed a little long.  I think they could’ve made all the points in 45 minutes.  I don’t know where I’d find the time on a continuing basis.

Nice takeaways. Believe it or not, I now listen to all my podasts at double speed! (It’s just a click away on all iPods including those in one’s iPhone or iPad.) Works most all the time, but every once in a while I have to go back and re-listen to a particularly interesting bit.

I totally get the time issue with Podcasts. My deal is that my phone is with me at all times and I sneak time in for podcasts whenever I’m doing something boring like washing the dishes or cooking or cleaning or whatever. I also listen to podcast every second I’m in the car and whenever I find myself in lines or waiting for something or someone. Finally, I sometimes go for walks and listen to podcasts.

Not everyone has my desire to listen to so many podcasts or my time to do so. Only a couple of years ago, this schedule would have been impossible for me, but my kids are a little bit older now and I have a little bit more control of my free time.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think this was Siricusa’s best but I think it was on a fascinating topic - one that I really don’t understand and would like to understand much better. I’ll keep listening to Siracusa because he’s able to use most minute details to explore the bigger issues.

Posted: 21 March 2011 10:35 PM #23

FalKirk - 21 March 2011 11:39 PM

Believe it or not, I now listen to all my podasts at double speed! (It’s just a click away on all iPods including those in one’s iPhone or iPad.)

How do you do that?  I’ve never noticed that feature.

• Posted: 21 March 2011 11:15 PM #24

jimlongo - 22 March 2011 01:35 AM
    FalKirk - 21 March 2011 11:39 PM

Believe it or not, I now listen to all my podasts at double speed! (It’s just a click away on all iPods including those in one’s iPhone or iPad.)

How do you do that?  I’ve never noticed that feature.

Are you using an iPhone to listen to podcasts? If not let me know or PM me and I’ll give you as much detail as I can.

1) Open any podcast.

2) Running along the top of the screen is a progress bar which shows you how much time is remaining in the podcast.

3) Running from left to right just under the progress bar are three icons.

- the first icon on the left allows you to e-mail the link to the podcast to others
    - the second icon in the center allows you to rewind the the podcast by 30 seconds.
    - the third icon on the right says “1X”. If you push it once, it changes the 2X but actually increased the speed of the recording by about 1.5 times. They use some process to keep the voices sounding normal and not like the chipmunks. (Am I dating myself?) Push it again and it changes to 1/2X which cuts the speed of the recording to about two-thirds normal. One more touch and you’re back to 1X and normal speed.

Seriously, if I’ve confused you more than helped you, PM me. I’ll be happy to explain further.