The weekend’s events

• Posted: 20 March 2011 05:42 PM #16

alice - 20 March 2011 08:30 PM
    westech - 20 March 2011 08:21 PM
    BrazilNuts - 20 March 2011 08:02 PM

Will the $39 billion deal between AT&T and T-Mobile trump all other headlines? M&A Monday?

This is a VERY big deal.  A plus for Apple and a minus for Android.  Not so good for AT&T, either.  Sprint?

Why do you say not so good for AT&T?

OOPS!  I meant Verizon!

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

• Posted: 20 March 2011 06:55 PM #17

Actually it is probably a bad deal for AT&T as well.  The vast majority of large M&A deals for acquirers tend to end up destroying shareholder value.  I would expect a drop in AT&T in the morning to factor this discount the market almost always makes when large deals are announced.

Posted: 20 March 2011 10:02 PM #18

Posted: 20 March 2011 10:02 PM #19

Success! First image post ever…

• Posted: 20 March 2011 10:36 PM #20

BrazilNuts - 21 March 2011 01:02 AM

Success! First image post ever…

Quit, while you’re WAY ahead.  Great pic.

• Posted: 20 March 2011 10:41 PM #21

JonathanU - 20 March 2011 09:55 PM

Actually it is probably a bad deal for AT&T as well.  The vast majority of large M&A deals for acquirers tend to end up destroying shareholder value.  I would expect a drop in AT&T in the morning to factor this discount the market almost always makes when large deals are announced.

I’ve read this elsewhere and am not sure why it would be bad for ATT, except that ATT could overpay for it.  But dominance as a carrier means they can cover their investment with higher rates/fees.  ATT must be pretty confident they’ll win approval to go this far with it. 

On the other hand, what’s bad for ATT can be good for VZ, and I own VZ.  :-D

Posted: 20 March 2011 10:58 PM #22

patsy - 19 March 2011 10:29 PM

I am watching 326 level. If it hits and bounces, then will open a small position….My target is 500 shares for long term hold…

You should probably consider scalling in now then..  instead of buying all 500 at once @ what you HOPE will be 326.. 

In my opinion, and limited experience, scaling is absolutely necessary

• Posted: 20 March 2011 11:32 PM #23

Blaze Biscuits, I am planning to start slowly in an increments of 25 shares…Lets see how the market is going to treat apple next week. I still think it will get pulled into 310 range, but i will start adding to my position slowly and steadily.

Posted: 20 March 2011 11:54 PM #24

patsy - 21 March 2011 02:32 AM

I still think it will get pulled into 310 range.

That’s going to be scary for all involved.

Signature

Bought and Held

Posted: 21 March 2011 12:07 AM #25

coma - 21 March 2011 02:54 AM

I still think it will get pulled into 310 range.

That’s going to be scary for all involved.

310 would not even be a bus stop. Is there anyone here who thinks that if AAPL goes below 325/6, we will go to 300. (Hand raised) I am of the different opinion and think that with the CS initiation, AT&T deal, potential for Brazil and the SJ rumor behind us, I think we slowly proceed to the plus direction. I sure hope so anyway since I have placed my bets on black. LOL

[ Edited: 21 March 2011 12:32 AM by mbeauch ]

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 21 March 2011 12:27 AM #26

The world’s most powerful tech company, fastest growing to boot, with iPad 2’s success looking like a sure thing, with a P/E of 15 as of April.  I’m not buying that for a second.

With an EPS number of about $6.00, which I deem conservative, the ttm EPS will go up by a little under $2.70, to around $20.60.

At today’s depressed P/E of 18.45, that gets us to…wait for it…380.

Now, as I’ve said 1000s of times in the past, AAPL’s preducted trajectory depends on a number of factors such as a fairly stable world situation (and as far as it goes, things haven’t been stable lately).  Compound fear with FUD and you get AAPL slammed back to January levels, and some of that is surely opportunism.

But the FUD eventually gets beaten out by the constant signs and numbers showing that Apple has never been stronger or executing better.  Global news seems to be getting somewhat better, VeriPhone is making impressive inroads in the US, new iPhone networks are continuously added (such as the 50-million-subscriber SK Telecom in South Korea, a country that loves iPhones), and did I forget to mention iPad 2?

News aside, the one major “hurdle” for Apple to “cross” on the road to recovery is having the iPad 2 international launch on the date it set for itself.  Without word of cancellation by tomorrow it’s 99% assured the launch is on, and you better believe Apple will shoot down any FUD to the contrary this week.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 21 March 2011 01:51 AM #27

Might the worst be over for Japan’s nuclear crisis?  Let’s hope they’re right.  Read here.

Posted: 21 March 2011 02:25 AM #28

Blaze Biscuits, I am planning to start slowly in an increments of 25 shares…Lets see how the market is going to treat apple next week. I still think it will get pulled into 310 range, but i will start adding to my position slowly and steadily.

good man… I thought your were going to pull the trigger on 500 at once..  sorry

Posted: 21 March 2011 02:32 AM #29

I must add that at 25 shares at a time you will add up the fees.  :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 21 March 2011 03:39 AM #30

Well, not everyone invests headfirst.  With the right online discount broker, it shouldn’t be much more than $10 or so per trade, possibly less if you trade enough or have enough $$ with ‘em.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.