AT&T to buy T-Mobile

• Posted: 22 March 2011 02:04 PM #31

When Verizon bought Alltel in 2008, they had to divest 60-odd markets or they would have faced antitrust proceedings.  Atlantic Telecom bought some, ATT bought a few, and the rest went hither and yon.

I will be interested to see whether ATT is forced by regulators to divest some TMO markets, and if not, how they managed to avoid such a penalty.  Though the Alltel sale covered more physical/geographic market space, it covered far fewer subscribers.

Posted: 22 March 2011 02:30 PM #32

Ross Edwards - 22 March 2011 05:04 PM

When Verizon bought Alltel in 2008, they had to divest 60-odd markets or they would have faced antitrust proceedings.  Atlantic Telecom bought some, ATT bought a few, and the rest went hither and yon.

I will be interested to see whether ATT is forced by regulators to divest some TMO markets, and if not, how they managed to avoid such a penalty.  Though the Alltel sale covered more physical/geographic market space, it covered far fewer subscribers.

An analyst yesterday said that they would have to divest about 5-7 million customers.

• Posted: 22 March 2011 04:52 PM #33

Posted by a friend of mine who specializes in working for companies that get merged…

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150142724007089&set=a.461016802088.260820.816032088&theater;

• Posted: 24 March 2011 02:29 AM #34

As a T-Mobile customer I hate the idea of this Merger. T-Mobile is the home of the android. With the First android being released by them and a very strong android product line and support from customers. Going to AT&T seems very grim. I often use my LG Optimus T to tether my Laptop when travelling on T-mobile I was able to tether, and get unlimited data for only 10 extra a month. Now with this merger I will have to pay 45 bucks to tether my phone if i resign my contract. I also will lose the ability to Download apps from third party people. Since I like have friends who like to write codes and stuff this means i can not help them try their apps. I honestly think AT&T is under the impression that Androids will one day be squashed by Iphones.

I think iOS is decent I don’t see my self in the future using it on my phone. BUT I Believe iOS and Android Competing with each other is Great for us consumers both of the two OSs will push each other and ultimately keep phones fresh and keep us with new features.

Face it iOS had not real motivation to put multitasking(ERRR)in other then Android offered it and they needed to level out the field.

• Posted: 24 March 2011 03:58 AM #35

Jgame - 24 March 2011 05:29 AM

As a T-Mobile customer I hate the idea of this Merger. T-Mobile is the home of the android. With the First android being released by them and a very strong android product line and support from customers. Going to AT&T seems very grim. I often use my LG Optimus T to tether my Laptop when travelling on T-mobile I was able to tether, and get unlimited data for only 10 extra a month. Now with this merger I will have to pay 45 bucks to tether my phone if i resign my contract. I also will lose the ability to Download apps from third party people. Since I like have friends who like to write codes and stuff this means i can not help them try their apps. I honestly think AT&T is under the impression that Androids will one day be squashed by Iphones.

Jgame, remaining competitive in the US market would have required T-Mobile USA’s parent to sink billions more into infrastructure and system upgrades. Although you may not like the merger, T-Mobile customers may be better served by AT&T. T-Mobile offered lower-cost services but the lower costs came at a price - the inability to invest as needed to remain competitive with Verizon and AT&T. There’s a reason the company was sold and sold now. Waiting longer would not have increased and may have lessened the purchase price.