IPhone 5 in late June

Posted: 05 April 2011 12:18 AM

I actually think this rumor is true

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/04/iphone-5-to-launch-at-end-of-june/

Those who think that WWDC is a software only are correct.  But Apple has always had a special event for hardware. 

I called ATT and they told me I was eligible for a new iPhone June 25.  :-D I was surprised but find it odd that the date matches some of the rumors.  I have gotten a new iPhone every year on the day it was released except one.

There is lots of evidence that points to a late June release.  Anyone who said otherwise is not credible.  Wait until the NYT or WSJ comes out with some hint to back me up.  They will in about two months:)

Update:  added some more graphics to improve the thread for Mercel
    :grinsanta:  8-)  :drool:  :apple:  :valentine:

[ Edited: 05 April 2011 12:50 AM by omacvi ]      
  • Posted: 05 April 2011 12:42 AM #1

This thread sucks.  Read my post on the subject in the intraday thread.  LOL

Posted: 05 April 2011 12:48 AM #2

Mercel - 05 April 2011 03:42 AM

LOL :-D

But I am bringing great news.  AAPL will go up 5 points tomorrow after the big boys at the hedge funds read this post. :-D

And then no one will ask that I go skiing again. 8-)

• Posted: 05 April 2011 12:52 AM #3

omacvi - 05 April 2011 03:48 AM
    Mercel - 05 April 2011 03:42 AM

LOL :-D

But I am bringing great news.  AAPL will go up 5 points tomorrow after the big boys at the hedge funds read this post. :-D

And then no one will ask that I go skiing again. 8-)

Sponge, how is it you can go skiing with a bad leg?  Or did you limit yourself to the bunny tow?  Just last week, I was this close to sending you five Thai nurses to return your leg to health for your golf match w/Mark.  What I’ve lost in AAPL over the past week I’ve saved in physical therapy costs.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 12:57 AM #4

By the way, thanks for the link re: iPhone 5.  I didn’t see this before I posted.  Other clues to a June launch, yet to be confirmed:

1.  Cancelled vacations for Apple retail staff (saw this over the weekend by one source)
    2.  Coordination with carriers (I believe ATT just announced a $50 increase for new iPhone upgrades)

Posted: 05 April 2011 01:12 AM #5

Mercel - 05 April 2011 03:57 AM

By the way, thanks for the link re: iPhone 5.  I didn’t see this before I posted.  Other clues to a June launch, yet to be confirmed:

1.  Cancelled vacations for Apple retail staff (saw this over the weekend by one source)
    2.  Coordination with carriers (I believe ATT just announced a $50 increase for new iPhone upgrades)

Bingo

Add to that the white iPhone.  For pits sake we have a white iPad.

To me the bigger evidence is the timing of rumors.  They all sound like the iPad delay rumors.  We argued about that for weeks until suddenly Apple announces a special event at beginning of March.

Also Verizon could no longer wait until June for the iPhone.  They wanted in February because they were bleeding even though they could have timed it with ATT in June.  They will pick up a few more million subscribers and build up a huge deman in June for the iPhone 5 as their more sophisticated Droid customers will do.

The lines at end of June will be as big as the iPad 2.

Posted: 05 April 2011 01:53 AM #6

Very good point about the $50 increase in early upgrade fees (WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY AT&T WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY).  It’s a potential tell the same way that the $49 3GS portended the coming of the VeriPhone. 

NFC this, 4G that.  Nice, but not necessary.  The smartphone market iterates quickly and the competition is fierce, even if it’s not always keen.  wink  There is no way in hell that Apple traipses its way to a 15-month cycle to get the iPhone 5 “just right” with features of relatively marginal utility (by the way, anyone really, REALLY made use of that gyroscope on your iPhone 4 lately?  Heck, even the compass?). 

Apple needs:  The A5.  And iOS 5, by fall.

Step 3?  There is no Step 3.  I mean sure Apple will have some other nice additions, but you get what I mean.     

If anything, if Apple takes a “4GS”-type route, the overall iPhone iteration process is made that much easier.  And Apple probably has had test iPhone 5s in the wild for quite a while now.

Without some catastrophic issues like difficulties in the A5 shrink/chip yield, huge supply chain disruption, or damn compelling leapfrog additions that somehow require an extra three months to be production ready (say, a radically new high-capacity battery technology or the bestest chassis redesign ever)...in the words of that Apple rep quoted by David Pogue in his VeriPhone review whom I’ve in turn quoted more than once already…Apple isn’t stupid.

iPhone 5 in late June, early July at the latest, or bust.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 April 2011 02:10 AM #7

Why is the $50 price increase by AT&T a tell?  The $49 3GS price point to compete against Verizon I follow.  The $50 price increase could have been done coincident with the introduction of the iPhone 5.  What correlation am I missing?

Posted: 05 April 2011 02:21 AM #8

Possible tell.  I could be simply looking at it wrong.  Could just be AT&T being money-grubbing AT&T.  But if no awesome, higher-cost phones worth spending $50 more to upgrade to early weren’t around the corner, why change the early upgrade pricing that’s been in place for years?  Given that it _has_ been years IIRC, “keeping up with inflation” or “we just felt like raising the prices” doesn’t sound right to me.

Of course, the $50 increase for iPhone vs. _$150_ more for other smartphones is a real head-scratcher.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 April 2011 02:40 AM #9

Mav - 05 April 2011 05:21 AM

Possible tell.  I could be simply looking at it wrong.  Could just be AT&T being money-grubbing AT&T.  But if no awesome, higher-cost phones worth spending $50 more to upgrade to early weren’t around the corner, why change the early upgrade pricing that’s been in place for years?  Given that it _has_ been years IIRC, “keeping up with inflation” or “we just felt like raising the prices” doesn’t sound right to me.

Of course, the $50 increase for iPhone vs. _$150_ more for other smartphones is a real head-scratcher.

If one can assume that carriers know the timing of new product introductions, wonder if the increase is the result of AT&T looking at their remaining iPhone 4 inventory combined with future receipts of the balance of their iPhone 4 orders and reaching the conclusion that they have the pricing power to charge the extra $50 and will sell through with ease, but who knows.

Time will tell!

Posted: 05 April 2011 11:35 AM #10

Jason Schwarz lays out 5 reasons why the rumors of delays are not an issue to AAPL valuation.

Seeking Alpha

Posted: 05 April 2011 02:05 PM #11

I was just about to post that article.

Bottom line AAPL is down based on false rumors.

I still believe we will get a new iPhone in June.

How many years has Apple released a new iPod in Sept?
    Case closed

Posted: 05 April 2011 03:29 PM #12

iPhone 5 will not launch in June

Dalrymple still does not say when it will launch. July 1st is not in June.

If LTE & NFC are already out of consideration, is there any reason Apple couldn’t release iPhone 5 in May?

Posted: 05 April 2011 03:43 PM #13

Developers riot

Posted: 05 April 2011 03:45 PM #14

Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 06:29 PM

If LTE & NFC are already out of consideration, is there any reason Apple couldn’t release iPhone 5 in May?

I am going to keep this thread alive until it comes out in June.

No way this guy has a source he can call up for follow up and update on when the iPhone is not coming.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 04:00 PM #15

Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 06:29 PM

Interesting that Dairymple is now ruling out June.  This is screwing up my grand theory.  Unless, of course, Apple is screwing with Dairymple. 

Then WHERE is the white iPhone 4?  Apple:  Launch it now and you’ll convince everyone iPhone 5 is a Fall release (or later?).