IPhone 5 in late June

Posted: 05 April 2011 04:06 PM #16

omacvi - 05 April 2011 06:45 PM
    Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 06:29 PM

iPhone 5 will not launch in June

Dalrymple still does not say when it will launch. July 1st is not in June.

If LTE & NFC are already out of consideration, is there any reason Apple couldn’t release iPhone 5 in May?

I am going to keep this thread alive until it comes out in June.

No way this guy has a source he can call up for follow up and update on when the iPhone is not coming.

Jim Dalrymple has been in the Mac news business since 1994.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacCentral

He might have some chips.

Posted: 05 April 2011 04:34 PM #17

Mercel - 05 April 2011 07:00 PM

Then WHERE is the white iPhone 4?  Apple:  Launch it now and you’ll convince everyone iPhone 5 is a Fall release (or later?).

Here’s Schiller’s tweet:

“The white iPhone will be available this Spring (and it is a beauty!).”

Doesn’t say it will be the iPhone 4. If June is out, that leaves May for a Spring release of iPhone 5 in both white & black.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 04:38 PM #18

Jim Dairymple is legit.  But I’m convinced he’s not telling all he knows. 

My latest theory is that Apple launches in July with an event in late June.  If not, then it’s fall. 

If fall is the release date, then the white iPhone is released into the wild post FQ2 2011, using strong earnings to buffet the hit AAPL could take from a 4-5 month delay with iPhone 5.

If anyone at Apple HQ is reading this, am I warm?  :wink:

• Posted: 05 April 2011 04:40 PM #19

Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 07:34 PM

Then WHERE is the white iPhone 4?  Apple:  Launch it now and you’ll convince everyone iPhone 5 is a Fall release (or later?).

Here’s Schiller’s tweet:

Doesn’t say it will be the iPhone 4. If June is out, that leaves May for a Spring release of iPhone 5 in both white & black.

Jim Dairymple would look foolish if he went on record denying a WWDC launch and we see a May launch of iPhone 5.  Wishful thinking here.  But I like it.  LOL

• Posted: 05 April 2011 04:40 PM #20

Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 07:34 PM

Here’s Schiller’s tweet:

Now wouldn’t that be a twist.  First Apple releases the iPad 2 earlier than expected and then…  ta da!!!!!!!!!!!!  Releases the iPhone 5 early in both black and white!!  Make my day that would

Posted: 05 April 2011 05:28 PM #21

Mercel - 05 April 2011 07:40 PM

Jim Dairymple would look foolish if he went on record denying a WWDC launch and we see a May launch of iPhone 5.  Wishful thinking here.  But I like it.  LOL

Well, technically Dalrymple would still be right. May is also not in June. :-D Besides, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was able to get wind of an early release just before it became official. Yes, this is still pure speculation, but I think it’s much more plausible for Apple to release a new iPhone early rather than late.

For anyone still thinking LTE is ready for prime-time, here’s what Geller has to say about the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon.

How does the Verizon Wireless? first 4G LTE smartphone do in the real world? Well, not that great to be honest ? especially with a 1400 mAh battery. Over 3G, the ThunderBolt can easily power through a normal workday. On 4G, however, I couldn?t get more than around 4.5 hours of usage at best? a figure that is not at all acceptable to me.

What makes matters worse is the fact that 4G can?t be switched on and off by the user. There is no widget to disable LTE and there?s not even a menu setting you can check on and off to enable or disable 4G.

So basically if you’re “lucky” enough to be in a 4G area, you’re going to get horrendous battery life.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 05:53 PM #22

omacvi - 05 April 2011 03:18 AM

There is lots of evidence that points to a late June release.  Anyone who said otherwise is not credible.

Then I guess you’re saying that John Gruber is not credible.

What kind of sense would it make for Apple to release or announce a new iPhone in June and not do it at WWDC? Do people even think before they publish stuff like this?

Posted: 05 April 2011 06:11 PM #23

I get the feeling guys like Dalrymple & Gruber enjoy watching others in the blogosphere flail around. They both have contacts within Apple, yet acknowledge that there’s no way Apple reveals anything before they are ready. The release date of the next iPhone is arguably the most significant because the iPhone is their most profitable product. They are not going to tell anyone about this.

All that was said is that the iPhone will not be announced at WWDC or anytime in June. It could be announced May 31st or July 1st and Dalrymple would still be right. It is a fantastical leap to go from “not in June” to “sometime in September”.

Posted: 05 April 2011 06:38 PM #24

Gurber’s source also said the iPad 2 would came in the fall.

Apple does not leak to bloggers.  They leak to the NYT and WSJ.  Neither paper have weighted in on this so called iPhone delay.

Also many have said there were parts issues with the iPad.  We now have shorter shipping times.

The only benefit for a iPhone in fall rumor is to keep sales up between now and June.  It keeps everyone guessing.  The problem is that if you run a company by rumors you will pay the price at some point.

Given the demand for the iPad 2, I am sure Apple sees the demand for the iPhone 5 on par with the iPad 2.  There is no business sense to delay 3 months.  None

Posted: 05 April 2011 06:51 PM #25

omacvi - 05 April 2011 09:38 PM

I think Gruber speculated (no source was cited) there might be an iPad 3 in the Fall.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 07:20 PM #26

Drew Bear - 05 April 2011 09:51 PM
    omacvi - 05 April 2011 09:38 PM

I think Gruber speculated (no source was cited) there might be an iPad 3 in the Fall.

I was going to say the same thing. Gruber made it clear that his iPad 3 comments were un-sourced speculation.

Posted: 05 April 2011 07:47 PM #27

Through this thread I have seen the future. There will be a May 11, 18 or 25 special event announcing a May 27 iPhone 4GS release, “available immediately”, for the U.S. Memorial Day weekend. WWDC developers will stand in line so they have one during the 6/6-10 conference and can use it with their new iOS5 SDK. smile

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 05 April 2011 08:44 PM #28

rezonate - 05 April 2011 10:47 PM

Through this thread I have seen the future. There will be a May 11, 18 or 25 special event announcing a May 27 iPhone 4GS release, “available immediately”, for the U.S. Memorial Day weekend. WWDC developers will stand in line so they have one during the 6/6-10 conference and can use it with their new iOS5 SDK. smile

I am more inclined to buy this version than a September launch date.

Posted: 05 April 2011 09:30 PM #29

Dalrymple’s…different lately.

He’ll confidently proclaim when iPhone 5 _won’t_ launch and that’s about it.

“It won’t launch end of June!”  Well I’ve got more news for you Jim, it won’t launch end of December either!

Not.  Constructive.  AT ALL.  If you can’t even throw your hat in the ring as to a possible date, all this, “no, not this date, not that one either” business is setting your credibility up for a big hit if you’re wrong.  You’ll probably actually get more credit for guessing wrong.

I’d watch your reporting and website if I were you, Jim.

[ Edited: 05 April 2011 09:32 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 April 2011 09:33 PM #30

Yep. A spec bump (64gb) new color(s) and maybe a price drop.
    My 2 cents