IPhone 5 in late June

• Posted: 22 June 2011 05:05 PM #361

Drew Bear - 22 June 2011 07:27 PM

BTW, I’m more skeptical of Bloomberg as an accurate source of Apple rumors.

Boomberg has been pretty reliable, but when you read the entire article in question, you have to wonder. A lot of the details seem either fuzzy or far-fetchehd.

Drew Bear - 22 June 2011 07:33 PM

Apple’s YEAR-OLD iPhone 4 Is Still The Top-Selling Smartphone

Dan Frommer, On Wednesday June 22, 2011, 2:32 pm

Apple’s iPhone 4 turns a year old on Friday, but it’s still outselling brand new Android phones at most U.S. cellphone retailers polled by BTIG Research (registration required).

Good catch. Here’s the money quote:

“...it shows that even a year-old (and two-year-old) Apple device can compete with the latest and greatest Android phones, at least head-to-head.

Posted: 22 June 2011 05:38 PM #362

FalKirk - 22 June 2011 08:05 PM
    Drew Bear - 22 June 2011 07:27 PM

BTW, I’m more skeptical of Bloomberg as an accurate source of Apple rumors.

Boomberg has been pretty reliable, but when you read the entire article in question, you have to wonder. A lot of the details seem either fuzzy or far-fetchehd.

Too many websites throw out so many rumors it’s hard to keep score. It’s just my impression that Bloomberg is more often wrong than right, but I have no hard data.

Jason Snell from MacWorld was on one of Leo Laport’s podcasts recently and said they avoid reporting on too many rumors because most of them turn out to be wrong. Now a site like MacRumors is focused on that, so people know what they’re getting when they visit that site. I just expect more from traditional news sources like Bloomberg, NYT, WSJ, etc.

Posted: 07 July 2011 04:02 PM #363

Drew Bear - 21 June 2011 08:18 PM

When I first saw the mockup of the teardrop iPhone, I thought it was ugly. thisismynext updated the rumor with a new image. This one is more believable.

More believable rumors about an iPhone 5 case redesign.

iPhone 5 redesign likely says WSJ, but have you met the iPad HD?

The Wall Street Journal now seems to be confirming what our sources told us back in April about the iPhone 5 (or whatever Apple decides to call it). According to the report (which closely mirrors some of the chatter we?d been hearing previously), the new device will be thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4, and is expected to launch sometime in the fall.

...Why abandon the iPhone 4 design so quickly though? We?ve heard that the device is out of favor at the highest levels of the company, and folks are ready to move on to an entirely new product.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/07/iphone-5-design-ipad-hd-iphone-4s/

Posted: 07 July 2011 10:55 PM #364

Well, that may be, but iPhone 4 should live on as the new $99-or-so smartphone in Apple’s lineup.  I can’t imagine the 3GS design was “in favor” with Apple after the iPhone 4 (which I think is an awesome design and extremely sturdy given it’s protected with a basic case/screen protector like every expensive smartphone should be) launched.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:28 AM #365

Has anyone noticed that massive home screen button?

Drew, it would be hard for me to like that design, just for the laying on a table part. Although thin is in, I would have to hold that phone before knowing if I would want one.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:43 AM #366

mbeauch - 08 July 2011 04:28 AM

Drew, it would be hard for me to like that design, just for the laying on a table part. Although thin is in, I would have to hold that phone before knowing if I would want one.

Mark, I agree the mockup has some weird elements. I don’t know what the big home screen button is for.

I kind of like the unibody styling, but I do not like the change to the old plastic toggle buttons instead of the dedicated metal buttons on the iPhone 4. I also am uncertain if the tapered shape is either functional or attractive. I actually like the boxiness of the current phone.

In short, I’m still ambivalent about these design rumors. It would not surprise me if Jobs is pissed enough about the minor antenna “issue” to push for a radical change. But it also wouldn’t surprise me if he stuck to his original insistence that there’s nothing wrong with the design.

I’ll buy the iPhone 5 regardless what the design is. I’m just waiting for extra speed.

• Posted: 08 July 2011 01:54 AM #367

Multi-touch.  Two finger taps.  I like the design, but I would not take it too seriously.  I do think we’ll get a larger home button though.

Posted: 08 July 2011 09:28 AM #368

It looks to me that this design would lay quite well on a table.  There seems to be enough flat area on the back corresponding to screen touch area that the phone would not wobble when touched.  Also the slight forward angle when laying is helpful for viewing, although not in landscape orientation.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 14 July 2011 12:52 AM #369

This would be vvvv good news for guidance. 

Let us see how this unfolds.

Posted: 14 July 2011 01:26 AM #370

Stronger than expected guidance is a key indicator for a new iPhone.

Let’s say we get 22-25 million iPhone 5s combined with maybe 10 million iPads.

Leaving everything else out because honestly, there won’t be particularly huge sequential change from even fiscal Q2 (low iPad numbers screwed everything up), we can run these numbers for discussion purposes:

+4 to 7 million iPhones from fiscal Q2 (about $2.5-$4.5B more revs, $750M-$1.35B more net income)

+5 or so million iPads from fiscal Q2 (about $3B more revs, maybe $750M in net income)

Let’s go to the more conservative range of projections - about $6B more in revs than fiscal Q2, about $1.7B more net income. 

That gets us to around $31B in revs, $7.7B in net income (roughly $8.20 EPS).

So…that might be guidance of $26.6B revs and $6.20-ish EPS based on Oppenheimer’s recent trends (for fiscal Q2, actual revs/EPS were 16.2% and 30% higher than guided).  Significantly lower, and I’ll really wonder about iPhone 5 shipping in quantity or at all in fiscal Q4.

[ Edited: 14 July 2011 01:30 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.