iPhone 5 Timing Irrelevant; platforms last decades

• Posted: 07 April 2011 05:47 PM

There was a nice note by Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra that I thought you all might enjoy:

Products last maybe a year, ?platforms? last decades.

We believe the single biggest change in Apple over the past few years is that it has moved from being something of a ?hit product? movie studio dependent on each new release back to being a better-than-ever ?platform? company, where its OS plus hardware plus apps ecosystem (from developer through discovery+billing) and closed-loop customer relationship (iTunes+App Store; services integration; apps curator/delivery/billing) are what truly matters and drive longevity.

Want to know what the next iPhone or iPad?s going to look like??just picture a thinner, lighter rectangle. It?s not the hardware that matters it?s the software ? well actually, it?s the software+hardware+services in a fully-integrated vertical platform. As we?ve said repeatedly, iOS IS the ?what?s next?? for Apple.

A lot of good stuff in there.

Posted: 07 April 2011 06:34 PM #1

FalKirk - 07 April 2011 08:47 PM

There was a nice note by Caris & Co. analyst Robert Cihra that I thought you all might enjoy:

Products last maybe a year, ?platforms? last decades.

We believe the single biggest change in Apple over the past few years is that it has moved from being something of a ?hit product? movie studio dependent on each new release back to being a better-than-ever ?platform? company, where its OS plus hardware plus apps ecosystem (from developer through discovery+billing) and closed-loop customer relationship (iTunes+App Store; services integration; apps curator/delivery/billing) are what truly matters and drive longevity.

Want to know what the next iPhone or iPad?s going to look like??just picture a thinner, lighter rectangle. It?s not the hardware that matters it?s the software ? well actually, it?s the software+hardware+services in a fully-integrated vertical platform. As we?ve said repeatedly, iOS IS the ?what?s next?? for Apple.

A lot of good stuff in there.

I agree but then you ruin all the fun everyone has speculating.  On the speculating front we can be fairly confident that the A5 will find it’s way into the next iPhone.  But recent news from Samsung & Elidipa provide a reasonable upgrade path for the LPDDR2 since both currently supply the RAM for the A5.  The new memory will reduce the height of the memory stack and reduce power requirements while increasing data thru-put.  Hope it makes the cut rolleyes

Posted: 07 April 2011 07:19 PM #2

AnandTech has posted some benchmarks for Qualcomm’s new dual core processors which we should see in a number of Android handsets/tablets.  Not to get too wrapped up about benchmarks, but a quick comparison to the A5 is worth a look since Apple went big on the GPU in A5

First look the A5 still provide a performance advantage over Qualcomm’s MSM8660 and Qualcomm has bested the Nvidia at least in this particular benchmark.

• Posted: 07 April 2011 09:25 PM #3

The reason why the iPhone 4 scored so low is that it has a lot more pixels to process… But at first glance it looks horrible which is what Qualcomm want people to think.

Signature

Posted: 07 April 2011 09:54 PM #4

rattyuk - 08 April 2011 12:25 AM

The reason why the iPhone 4 scored so low is that it has a lot more pixels to process… But at first glance it looks horrible which is what Qualcomm want people to think.

Agree but I don’t think they will need to reduce the clock on the iPhone version of A5 since the clock is dynamic based on the workload.  Additionally if they are able to implement the new memory then bus speed can increase and they also could fit 1GB in the space of the current stack.  Both would improve performance but cost more so not sure what way Apple will go.  What is amazing is how fast the processors are improving and we should see another doubling In 2012.

Posted: 08 April 2011 03:22 AM #5

I’d kinda like it if the iPhone 5 had a fast enough “base speed” and knew to ramp things up a little if being charged (though I gotta say, the iPhone 4 does get warm under significant load). 

It’d be quite something if the iPhone 6/competitive smartphones actually go to quad-core in 2012.  Heck, many of today’s desktop systems are still dual-core.  :oh:

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 April 2011 12:00 PM #6

adamthompson3232 - 08 April 2011 02:09 PM

I will be making a large bet sometime next week that iPhone 5 will launch this summer, as usual. After last year’s Gray Powell debacle (is he fired yet?:), I think Apple might like these rumors of a delay, if they didn’t indirectly leak them. iPhone production continues to ramp to ATH levels and it is becoming more important to try to mitigate sales slowdowns leading into new launches. Yes, global launch dates and sales will smooth this trend out but I think rumors of a delay could really, really juice Apple’s sales results in the June quarter and the more seamless transition to iPhone could also really juice gross margins (Less discounting of iPhone 4 units needed? Larger percentage of full priced iPhone 4’s and 5’s as a percentage of total units sold?). Long term I don’t think the launch date matters all that much but I think Apple is setting up for a huge upside surprise with guidance on April 20th which will be exacerbated by some recent downward revisions from short sighted moronic WS analysts.

I agree that it does not really matter if the iPhone is launched in June or Sept.  However the only people who seem to know about the delay and believe it is WS.  The regular folks will find out when Apple has a big event in June with no iPhone announcement.  We may get a hint in two weeks during the conf. call.  Either way we will have a better understanding of when it may be released.  I am still betting it will take place end of June.  The stock will react the same way it reacted with the iPad 2 release. :-o