Google VS Apple

• Posted: 10 June 2012 11:08 PM #121

Drew Bear - 11 June 2012 01:21 AM

I’m beginning to think that as expensive and foolhardy the Motorola purchase seems to be, Google may not have had a choice but to enter the hardware wars. That’s where the heavy loot is to be found.

Two things:

First, I would argue that Google would never have been “forced” to choose to buy Motorola if they hadn’t made so many earlier bad choices.

Second, I still feel that buying Motorola was a huge mistake. I have a long list of reasons for feeling that way but the short response is that you don’t try to out-Apple Apple. (You don’t attack an enemy where they are strongest.)

Apple makes it’s money from selling an integrated hardware software product. They’ve raised this to an art form. If Google thinks they are going to ape Apple and be just as successful as Apple, they gots themselves another think coming.

Google, I served with Apple, I know Apple. Apple is a friend of mine. Google, you’re no Apple.

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:19 AM #122

Let’s see how long it takes for Motorola to completely purge all layers from its Android lineup (new products starting from today).

That’s the first hurdle in my opinion.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 June 2012 02:44 AM #123

FalKirk - 11 June 2012 02:08 AM

...I still feel that buying Motorola was a huge mistake.

FalKirk, I agree. Buying Android was a mistake. But clearly Brin & Page think otherwise, so we get to watch them battle on. Like Microsoft, they’ve got $billions to pour into their money pit.

Not sure if the following fits in this thread or one of the “Android is dying” threads, but it gives insight to how Google approaches product development. The OEMs share the blame, but why the heck is Google releasing an OS that doesn’t take advantage of the latest processor technology?

Intel: Android dual core support so poor ?having a second core is actually a detriment?

Android OEMs famously shipped phones with dual core processors well before the operating system even supported it…Now Intel has revealed in their testing that even in the latest version of the Android operating system, Android 4 ICS, having multiple cores remains of little benefit most of the time and can even be detrimental to performance.

Of course we know the biggest advantage to Android OEMs was not in performance but marketing, leading to the helter-skelter rush from single core to dual core to now quad-core processors…

http://wmpoweruser.com/intel-android-dual-core-so-poor-having-a-second-core-is-actually-a-detriment/

Posted: 11 June 2012 02:52 AM #124

This is always amusing stuff.  Clearly a partisan article but there may well be a kernel or two of truth in there.

iOS and Grand Central.  OS X being built for multiprocessor computing from the get-go.  Apple’s long-range planning in action.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:00 AM #125

Google:  900,000 Android units daily @ <$10 revenue per unit

vs.

Apple:  650,000 iOS units daily @ $500+ revenue per unit

I agree that Google has seen the writing on the wall and decided it needs to get into the handset game, especially once apple drops them for maps, & eventually search.

I have a theory that the google “Knowledge Graph” is in development to be an exclusive killer feature for Motorola devices only, as it seems completely asymetric to googles current search based advertising business model. http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/8/3071190/google-knowledge-graph-star-trek-computer-john-giannandrea-interview

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 11 June 2012 05:26 PM #126

Apple has recruited a young phenom to join their competition against Google. I don’t personally understand the appeal of Facebook, but there’s no doubt that hundreds of millions of consumers invest much of their everyday life in it. This new integration of FB in iOS devices will give the iPhone & iPad a significant advantage over their Android counterparts.

Posted: 12 June 2012 10:14 PM #127

It doesn?t matter what your opinion of Apple is. It?s the only tech company in the world that can make a specific promise to its customers.

The promise is that every year, without needing to buy new hardware, your experience will get better. The way it delivers upon that promise is by releasing new software innovations for all its hardware (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.) on an annual basis. If you?re an Apple customer, you can expect that every single year Apple will look to solve current and future problems by making your computing products more useful and more functional through software updates.

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/12/why-only-apple-can-promise-a-better-experience-to-customers-every-year/

On the other side…

Posted: 27 June 2012 10:01 PM #128

Andy Ihnatko on Twitter:

Interesting that Google is being so open about Glass dev process. Prob because they’ve no idea how to turn this neat idea into a product.

Topolsky from The Verge:

I just had a bizarre and fairly interesting experience here at Google I/O 2012. After a small, closed press session on Google’s Project Glass, company co-founder Sergey Brin decided to let the press here try on the devices for themselves.

The demo was set to nothing more than a looping fireworks video, but I got to have a first-hand experience with what Google’s Glass is like for those wearing it right now ...The experience is not all that different from those bulky head-mounted displays that can be worn to see a full HD video without an actual TV in front of you, though the screen image is much smaller, and only occupies one side of your vision.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3121858/googles-project-glass-first-impressions-with-sergey-brins-headset

Glasses that will at best be a phone accessory. A jumbo iPod touch-like device with no profit margins. Another Android update that few of the installed base will actually be able to install. Massive “activation” numbers, but no revenue numbers.

Where do these guys think they’re going?

• Posted: 27 June 2012 10:08 PM #129

Drew Bear - 28 June 2012 01:01 AM

Where do these guys think they’re going?

The Glass demonstration today was unbelievably pointless. Just a gigantic waste of our time and their resources.

• Posted: 27 June 2012 10:12 PM #130

Did you guys see this chart? I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere. Apple is just crushing everyone in mobile.

If you can’t see the whole chart, you can link to it in this accompanying article:

Shocking stats: Apple rules mobile—and it’s not even close

Posted: 27 June 2012 11:32 PM #131

Didn’t Horace have a chart that looked like that?

Brian Hall comments on thestreet.com article:

Android Users Don’t Know Enough to Matter

Despite the massive market share numbers, there is more (total) browsing on iPhones. More app usage on iPhones. More Google searches! iPhone users are consuming more WiFi, playing more games, uploading more photos, etc.

A ComScore study in April found that 70% of American Android users can’t seem to figure out how to use WiFi on their devices. They found that 29% of iPhone users only connected to the Internet using nothing but cellular data. In the UK, only 13% of iPhone users solely used wireless data to get on to the Web. But in the U.S., 68% of Android users relied on their wireless carrier to do their internet browsing.

It appears that Android is gaining market share from the old Nokia feature phone users who are migrating to smart phones and don’t really have a clue how to use it.

http://www.brianshall.com/content/android-users-dont-know-enough-matter

Or maybe the majority of Android phones in use are so slow and glitchy that their owners don’t want to use them as smartphones. I know that’s how I felt about the Palm Pre Plus that I used for a phone and mobile hotspot.

Posted: 21 July 2012 05:23 PM #132

Couldn’t find a better thread for this.

Google dirtbags
    Written by Jim Dalrymple

So, Let me get this straight. Apple spent billions of dollars researching the best interface for mobile devices and patented their findings. Those methods of interacting with a mobile device became so popular, Google illegally integrated them in its inferior Android operating system.

Now that they?ve been caught, they are arguing that the features are standards and are not Apple?s at all.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/21/google-dirtbags/

Posted: 21 July 2012 05:28 PM #133

Particularly puzzling/amusing is how completely unnecessary these comments seem to be at this point in time.

Google just brought this up on their own.  Oh sure litigation, but that isn’t anything new.

So it really ends up sounding like some weird kind of admission.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 July 2012 07:10 PM #134

Drew Bear - 28 June 2012 02:32 AM

Didn’t Horace have a chart that looked like that?

Brian Hall comments on thestreet.com article:

Android Users Don’t Know Enough to Matter

Despite the massive market share numbers, there is more (total) browsing on iPhones. More app usage on iPhones. More Google searches! iPhone users are consuming more WiFi, playing more games, uploading more photos, etc.

http://www.brianshall.com/content/android-users-dont-know-enough-matter

Or maybe the majority of Android phones in use are so slow and glitchy that their owners don’t want to use them as smartphones. I know that’s how I felt about the Palm Pre Plus that I used for a phone and mobile hotspot.

Lots of Android users are turning WiFi off because of poor battery performance with it always on.

Posted: 22 July 2012 07:21 PM #135

You have a lot of Android-using friends and coworkers?

I’d hope that’s not true for current-gen Android products.  Wi-Fi on should not be a significant drain on battery.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.