Google VS Apple

Posted: 16 April 2011 11:04 PM #16

iphoned - 16 April 2011 11:30 PM

... Android adoption decreased by 4% is a big red flag.

Where did you see this number reported?

According to canalys there were 32.9 million Android activations in 4th quarter 2010.

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011013.html

Fist quarter google reported 31.5 million activations.  thats a 4% decrease

according to article the pace in activations has also slowed.

Yes Apple has a larger installed base and is making a ton of money for itself and its developers.  However the market looks long term.  So for the same reason that google sold off over growth concerns, I think Android amazing growth has stunted Apple’s stock price.

SJ would not be spending 10 minutes going over the number of iOS devices and questioning google’s numbers if activations was not important.

What must be noted is that the google report confirms what many here have said.  Android issues will continue to become more exposed and WS is finally starting to see the light.  The stock went down 8% because Google has not shown how their Android strategy is growing their bottom line.  They grew but the fact that they did not identify the contribution that Android has had on that growth is concerning.  They are increasing their R&D and marketing, but that is to protect their services more then increase revenue outside of search.

I think activations is an important metric.  that is why we were able to see how the iPhone truly impacted RIMM.  In two years we will see how wrong Garner is in their predictions of where the iOS market share will be.  Then we can compare Android market share and further confirm the slow bleeding that started in 2011.  Verizon is huge for iPHone sales and the iPad 12 months from now will make iOS even more powerful.  Not to mention the growth of iPhone sales in China and when it becomes available on TMobile (ie ATT) here in the US.

• Posted: 17 April 2011 12:02 AM #17

omacvi - 17 April 2011 02:04 AM

SJ would not be spending 10 minutes going over the number of iOS devices and questioning google’s numbers if activations was not important.

He went over the numbers in one conference call with analysts to dispel misconceptions about the iOS-based product eco-system and more to answer the unrelenting attacks from the CEO at Google about the style and nature of Apple’s product model.

He addressed the analysts to personally inform them the remarks made by representatives of Google who claimed there was some kind of real competition for the iPhone from Android handsets were hooey.

It’s Google that tries to move the stature of the Android handsets to the stature of the iPhone. It hasn’t worked yet. Google’s shares are at July, 2007 prices following an almost 9% drop in value on Friday.

• Posted: 17 April 2011 12:38 AM #18

DawnTreader - 17 April 2011 01:51 AM
    westech - 17 April 2011 01:15 AM

A comment on installed base. 

Installed base equals the number of activations minus the number of units no longer in use.  I believe that there is a higher percentage of Android units no longer in use than IOS units. IPhones, iTouches and iPads seem to be recycled through eBay, families and friends more than Androids.  Wish someone would do a real study on this.

I don’t think Android handsets have been in the market long enough to reliably measure legacy units still in service. Give it a couple more years and that survey would be an insightful one.

There is a continuing stream of new Android phones, as well as a series of OS updates with no clear path to applying these in the Android eco-system.  From what i have seen of Android phones so far, if I had one I would be trying to upgrade to something better.  The Android companies seem to be trying to steal market share from one another leading to a lot of churn.

I have three old ‘dumb’ phones sitting in my desk drawer. and I’ll bet that there are a lot of Android phones sitting in other desk drawers.

Still, these are only impressions, and I don’t believe it is too early to try to get good data to check this out.

In the absence of a detailed survey I guess we could look at internet usage but this begs the question of whether Apple people and Google people use the internet to the same dgree.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

• Posted: 17 April 2011 01:41 AM #19

westech - 17 April 2011 03:38 AM

[ impressions, and I don’t believe it is too early to try to get good data to check this out.

In the absence of a detailed survey I guess we could look at internet usage but this begs the question of whether Apple people and Google people use the internet to the same dgree.

An appropriate question.  grin

The vast amount of time I spend on my iPad (and I mean a vast amount of time) is spent inside apps and not on the Web.

Posted: 17 April 2011 01:45 AM #20

DawnTreader - 17 April 2011 04:41 AM
    westech - 17 April 2011 03:38 AM

[ impressions, and I don’t believe it is too early to try to get good data to check this out.

An appropriate question.  grin

The vast amount of time I spend on my iPad (and I mean a vast amount of time) is spent inside apps and not on the Web.

My kids play on their iPhone 1 and 3.  They are not on the net but just in apps.  They get apps or music on a regular basis.

I am on the World Wide Web simply to feast on the plenty of good info here at AFB.

• Posted: 17 April 2011 10:10 AM #21

Just a little more iPhone piling on

• Posted: 17 April 2011 11:38 AM #22

danthemason - 17 April 2011 01:10 PM

Just a little more iPhone piling on

Good point.  I find that the iPhone 4 takes surprisingly good pix for general use.  I rarely take out my dedicated digital camera any more, and never use my professional grade 35 mm film camera.  The only problem with the iPhone is that it is harder to hold when taking a picture than a dedicated camera, but I always have it with me.

How come the Android phones didn’t even make the list?

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

Posted: 17 April 2011 12:53 PM #23

westech - 17 April 2011 02:38 PM

How come the Android phones didn’t even make the list?

Because they are tracking devices, not platforms. I also think that cameras on Android phones don’t function as well as the iPhone camera. They hype the megapixel spec and pay little attention to the quality of the sensor or software.

• Posted: 18 April 2011 01:01 AM #24

An interesting article about the relationship with Google and Wall Street/Investors.  It seems no one was pleased with Larry Page’s cameo appearance last week.  Wall Street responded in kind with a pounding for an 8% drop on Friday.

I’ve never owned GOOG:  They don’t give guidance.  They don’t provide sufficient detail about its business units to satisfy me.  But I like Google:  I use its search engine and its new initiative into social media (+1) holds promise. It has some relationship building to do with Wall Street.  Yet, for all its cavalier attitude, the P/E is 20 after the shellacking last week. 

There’s a probably a lesson or two here for both Google and Apple.  Despite Apple’s own distant relations with Wall Street, the article pays a compliment toward Apple’s management in being more direct and responsive to inquiries and concerns.

Reuter’s link here

Posted: 21 April 2011 02:52 AM #25

This was big enough that TC mentioned it in his response to the analyst who asked about Android.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/ios-platform-reach-exceeds-androids-by-59-in-u-s/

This too me is very good news which explains the big iPhone number and the selloff in Google.

• Posted: 21 April 2011 04:57 AM #26

The disruption quote ,

only 27.3% of iPad owners are also iPhone owners,

We got ‘em.

• Posted: 21 April 2011 05:13 AM #27

omacvi - 21 April 2011 05:52 AM

This was big enough that TC mentioned it in his response to the analyst who asked about Android.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/ios-platform-reach-exceeds-androids-by-59-in-u-s/

This too me is very good news which explains the big iPhone number and the selloff in Google.

Andoid just got Cooked

Posted: 21 April 2011 12:09 PM #28

danthemason - 21 April 2011 07:57 AM

The disruption quote ,

only 27.3% of iPad owners are also iPhone owners,

We got ‘em.

Nice catch, Dan.  Disruption indeed.

iPad has brought in a lot of new people to Apple.  The Halo Constellation is standing by to encourage you with your next Apple purchase.

Posted: 21 April 2011 12:52 PM #29

i’m a huge Apple Fan, stock and products but I also use Google.

The ecosystem arguement is alwasys a great one.

Google never had one and now they are building one.

What scares me a bit is their Gmail system.  I don’t know a single person that doesn’t use Gmail.

I have a feeling they are going to somehow leverage the gmail login more and more just like apple as their itunes login.

They already merged the sepearate youtube login to the gmail login. Once they launch their cloud services i’m sure you’ll log into it with your gmail password.

Gmail has a chat feature, with a video chat feature built in as well. 

I bet most iphone users link up gmail.

So imagine your Gmail login worked for youtube, email, chat, music, movies, mobile payments, eventually documents etc.. 

Is the Android marketplace a separate username and password from the gmail username and password?  The key is getting credit cards on file like apple has.

Android still scares the crap out of me b/c of all these reasons but i’m still 100% confident in apple and itunes.

• Posted: 21 April 2011 02:45 PM #30

spoonman - 21 April 2011 03:52 PM

i’m a huge Apple Fan, stock and products but I also use Google.

The ecosystem arguement is alwasys a great one.

Google never had one and now they are building one.

What scares me a bit is their Gmail system.  I don’t know a single person that doesn’t use Gmail.

Therein lies the danger of anecdotal evidence. Don’t believe your lying eyes. Gmail only accounts for 5% of all e-mail users. Admittedly, they are probably a very influential 5%, but only 5% nonetheless.

Now consider the fact that Email use dropped 59 percent among users aged 12-17, as well as 8 percent overall and Gmail doesn’t seem like such a threat, does it.

Finally, it’s hard to change one’s corporate DNA. Google is very good at a lot of things. But creating a consumer ecosystem doesn’t appear to be one of them. Google is more of a “throw it against the wall and see if it sticks” kind of company. While this leads to all sorts of miscellaneous winners, it doesn’t make for smooth ecosystem building. If you’re worried about a Google ecosystem challenging Apple’s, just think about “Buzz” and “Wave” and “Google Video.” That should allay your fears.