Thank You to PED And The Active Members Of The AFB

• Posted: 22 April 2011 02:35 AM

Thank You to PED And The Active Members Of The AFB

To my fellow AFB AAPL analysts: Each of you are an inspiration to continue the hard work.  grin

Robert

• Posted: 22 April 2011 02:50 AM #1

I guess we don’t need another PED to give PED his due.  You’ve done it quite nicely and graciously.  I would also commend you for turning this rag tag fleet into a purposeful armada.  Wouldn’t have ever guessed it could be done.  Evidently being bad at projections has wider implications than I realized.  Anyway…,  WELL DONE SIR!

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 22 April 2011 03:09 AM #2

Hear hear!

• Posted: 22 April 2011 08:58 AM #3

Thanks to DT and Sassy for compiling everyone’s data, organized, sliced and diced out of the various permutations that require more work behind the curtain than the rest of us realize.  Mr. and Mrs. Oz, we commend you.

Posted: 22 April 2011 09:16 AM #4

BillH - 22 April 2011 05:50 AM

I guess we don’t need another PED to give PED his due.  You’ve done it quite nicely and graciously.  I would also commend you for turning this rag tag fleet into a purposeful armada.  Wouldn’t have ever guessed it could be done.  Evidently being bad at projections has wider implications than I realized.  Anyway…,  WELL DONE SIR!

LOL, who you calling rag tag? LOL

Some of us cats have got to roam free.  tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 22 April 2011 09:19 AM #5

mbeauch - 22 April 2011 12:16 PM

How about motley crew?  Is Vegas ready this group?

Posted: 22 April 2011 09:29 AM #6

Mercel - 22 April 2011 12:19 PM
    mbeauch - 22 April 2011 12:16 PM

How about motley crew?  Is Vegas ready this group?

LOL, I am not sure if this group is Vegas ready.  LOL

While on the plane yesterday I had a number of thoughts about the performance of the AFB and the professionals. Seriously, I would fire half of them. I don’t care if GS has AAPL on their CL, that bad of a miss should be grounds for termination. Of course in this PC world, he did his best so that is OK. :-x

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 22 April 2011 09:40 AM #7

mbeauch - 22 April 2011 12:29 PM

While on the plane yesterday I had a number of thoughts about the performance of the AFB and the professionals. Seriously, I would fire half of them. I don’t care if GS has AAPL on their CL, that bad of a miss should be grounds for termination. Of course in this PC world, he did his best so that is OK. :-x

I wanted to see Alex Gauna of JMP Securities on the list.  It’s probably no accident that he withheld the requested data from PED in order to avoid the embarrassment.  He had two choices:  Stay with his fact-shy, low opinion of Apple or be shamed by PED.  Is it any surprise he passed on being counted?  What are his peers at JMP Securities thinking?

• Posted: 22 April 2011 01:47 PM #8

Let’s get moving on the June quarter numbers. The AFB has proven itself the premier Web presence for the development of AAPL estimates and discussions about Apple’s financial performance.

As the “curator” of the AFB estimates and the “cat herder of the AFB” I’ll be on everyone starting midway through the quarter.

A thank you to Sassy for her assistance and a note of appreciation for her organizational skills.

Posted: 22 April 2011 02:42 PM #9

• Posted: 22 April 2011 05:14 PM #10

Interesting added take on earnings:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/264898-more-proof-that-analysts-can-t-predict-apple?source=email_watchlist

Posted: 22 April 2011 07:12 PM #11

That Roche guy is a rabble rouser.  I couldn’t miss his slag on the amateurs.

These analysts have a damn good idea what’s going on inside these companies and there is no way you can convince me that a bunch of bloggers (who continually beat the analysts in the earnings guessing game) are better analysts than the CFA’s at the big banks.

There’s no way you can convince me that people who get it right are more right than people who publicly get it wrong.  Uh-huh.

Conspiracy theories like this make for a few extra hits short-term, but people tune you out over the long term, man.  People like you are why I don’t really visit SeekingAlpha all that much.  Some good wheat, but way more chaff.

Fact:  The PED-listed amateurs are publicly beating the WS analysts.  So are lots of us not on PED’s list.  Heck, I think even little ol’ me compares favorably to most of the WS types.

I don’t give a damn about the CFAs or the raw skills/talent.  Who has the better numbers in put-up-or-shut-up time?  Some of the WS analysts are pretty decent, but on the whole, most of ‘em just plain don’t cut it when it comes to AAPL.  And when the game is AAPL estimates, that’s all that matters.

[ Edited: 22 April 2011 07:14 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 22 April 2011 11:43 PM #12

Mav - 22 April 2011 10:12 PM

Fact:  The PED-listed amateurs are publicly beating the WS analysts.  So are lots of us not on PED’s list.  Heck, I think even little ol’ me compares favorably to most of the WS types.

So what’s holding you back from joining the gang? It’s time.  grin

Posted: 22 April 2011 11:54 PM #13

DawnTreader - 22 April 2011 04:47 PM

Let’s get moving on the June quarter numbers. The AFB has proven itself the premier Web presence for the development of AAPL estimates and discussions about Apple’s financial performance.

As the “curator” of the AFB estimates and the “cat herder of the AFB” I’ll be on everyone starting midway through the quarter.

A thank you to Sassy for her assistance and a note of appreciation for her organizational skills.

I overshot the eps by .30…. But this was my first time playing in this sandbox and, you know, I understand exactly why I overshot by thirty cents…down to the variance in iPad production, my wag on macs, my astute observation on likely GMs. I pondered each variable on the spreadsheet, always tuned and tempered by the fabulous, generous analysis from the AFB faithful. I learned SO much…now I’m hooked.

Pondering Tim Cooks’s inscrutable hints on margins. Howbigg will iPads be?  Hmmmmmm.
    iPhone 5… When, what, how? Hmmmmmmmmmmm :-?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 23 April 2011 12:02 AM #14

joel90069 - 22 April 2011 08:14 PM

Interesting added take on earnings:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/264898-more-proof-that-analysts-can-t-predict-apple?source=email_watchlist

I can’t accept the author’s premise.  What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  Everybody benefits from good analysys.  Analysts get Apple wrong because they are lazy and stupid.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 23 April 2011 02:20 AM #15

Red shirted ensign - 23 April 2011 02:54 AM
    DawnTreader - 22 April 2011 04:47 PM

I overshot the eps by .30…. But this was my first time playing in this sandbox and, you know, I understand exactly why I overshot by thirty cents…down to the variance in iPad production, my wag on macs, my astute observation on likely GMs. I pondered each variable on the spreadsheet, always tuned and tempered by the fabulous, generous analysis from the AFB faithful. I learned SO much…now I’m hooked.

Pondering Tim Cooks’s inscrutable hints on margins. Howbigg will iPads be?  Hmmmmmm.
    iPhone 5… When, what, how? Hmmmmmmmmmmm :-?

Learn by doing grin

Learn from the past and keep moving forward…