Is T-Mobile getting iPhone 4?  5?

• Posted: 23 April 2011 09:20 PM

Boy Genius is breaking a story with photos of an iPhone running T-Mobile 3G bands.  Or is it an iPhone 5 in sheep’s clothing?  Read here at this BGR link.

Posted: 23 April 2011 10:05 PM #1

It’s rockin’ the A5 chip.

Posted: 23 April 2011 10:19 PM #2

Well as someone who Ahem is still rocking a 1st Gen working quite happily on T-Mo this would make me very Happy! Course T-Mo may be in the process of being acquired by the Death Star anyway, unless a miracle occurs and the FCC opposes it…

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

• Posted: 24 April 2011 01:04 AM #3

The official T-Mobile statement on the AT&T acquisition says the company’s customers will not be getting the iPhone prior to the AT&T coming to a close.

The deal will close within a year and there’s no reason Apple wouldn’t be testing the iPhone on a variety of networks especially one to be acquired by AT&T.

Posted: 24 April 2011 01:13 AM #4

T-Mobile’s 3G band is the exact same one AT&T will forcibly move all of T-Mo’s customers off of if the merger goes through.  It might not be right away, but why would you want a “limited edition” iPhone that…uh…doesn’t work on 3G because AT&T changed things up?

http://www.dailytech.com/TMobile+3G+Phones+Will+Require+Replacement+After+ATT+Merger/article21198.htm

Yes, Apple could have a “world phone” or something that seamlessly switches to AT&T’s 3G bands when T-Mo’s 3G goes kaput.  That doesn’t sound like Apple’s style.  That leaves iPhone 4G.  Bets seem to be on not this year.

So…I’m thinkin’ no.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 April 2011 12:27 AM #5

I wouldn’t get _that_ excited. 

Let’s assume VeriPhone 5 is 2x as popular as VeriPhone 4 just to get some half-reasonable imaginary baseline numbers.

2.2 million VeriPhone activations in 50 days x 1.5 factor for conservatism to forecast a full-quarter total x 2 popularity factor for iPhone 5 = 6.6 million iPhone 5s.  Note that T-Mo is just about 1/3 the size of a Verizon or AT&T though.  So, 2-3 million extra buyers from T-Mobile in a quarter for an iPhone 5 launch (yes, I think the range is a little conservative) is a big deal, but, it’s “only” $1.5-2B or so on top of a $40B or so holiday quarter.  I don’t mean to downplay any T-Mo numbers, but they need to be put in perspective.  Of course, that assumes a T-Mobile iPhone makes sense in light of the merger and the planned termination of the 3G band.  The only way around it is for iPhone 5 to be a multi-band 4G phone.

A T-Mobile iPhone would be great, but there’s more than enough carriers out there right now for iPhone 5 to have competition-shattering sales numbers.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 April 2011 12:45 AM #6

You know what I mean.  wink  It IS huge, but it’s not on the same scale as VeriPhone 5 or SK Telecom.

If iPhone 5 has 4G, I’ll give some credence to T-Mo iPhone rumors.  Otherwise, I just cannot see Apple wanting to sell T-Mobile users a phone that could be involved in a rough 3G transition if an AT&T merger goes through.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 April 2011 12:58 AM #7

adamthompson3232 - 25 April 2011 03:42 AM
    Mav - 25 April 2011 03:27 AM

I wouldn’t get _that_ excited. 

Let’s assume VeriPhone 5 is 2x as popular as VeriPhone 4 just to get some half-reasonable imaginary baseline numbers.

2.2 million VeriPhone activations in 50 days x 1.5 factor for conservatism to forecast a full-quarter total x 2 popularity factor for iPhone 5 = 6.6 million iPhone 5s.  Note that T-Mo is just about 1/3 the size of a Verizon or AT&T though.  So, 2-3 million extra buyers from T-Mobile in a quarter for an iPhone 5 launch (yes, I think the range is a little conservative) is a big deal, but, it’s “only” $1.5-2B or so on top of a $40B or so holiday quarter.  I don’t mean to downplay any T-Mo numbers, but they need to be put in perspective.  Of course, that assumes a T-Mobile iPhone makes sense in light of the merger and the planned termination of the 3G band.  The only way around it is for iPhone 5 to be a multi-band 4G phone.

A T-Mobile iPhone would be great, but there’s more than enough carriers out there right now for iPhone 5 to have competition-shattering sales numbers.

$2B in incremental revenue and $1.2B or so in incremental gross profit is huge. I am positioning accordingly to capitalize on a $40B+ holiday quarter.

at, a $40 billion December quarter is already in my estimates. T-Mobile customers will get the iPhone following the AT&T acquisition.

There are two words that matter when it comes to new iPhone providers: China Mobile

Don’t worry about T-Mobile customers or when the get access to the iPhone.

Posted: 25 April 2011 01:05 AM #8

Here’s hoping China Mobile starts stocking the iPhone this year.  Heck, at iPhone 5 launch!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.