What’s wrong with this chart?

• Posted: 27 April 2011 08:12 PM

Clue: I wonder why they decided to divide the iPhone apps and iPad apps into two different counts?

Being run at both:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-app-store-projections-2011-4

and

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20110427/google-to-claim-worlds-biggest-app-store-title-from-apple-in-five-months/

Should’t it look more like this?

[ Edited: 27 April 2011 08:47 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 27 April 2011 08:59 PM #1

Like Anyone Cares?.

Sometimes I think the App Store’s “junk apps” selection is bad.  Android Market’s non-curated house of…randomness?  Complete with task killers and soon, antivirus utilities? 

The leaving out iPad apps is particularly misleading.  Still, at some point sheer number of apps isn’t as much of a selling point anymore.  And, kinda like the iTunes Music Store section, there’s just so many apps, and so many new apps added all the time, that numbers won’t differentiate before long.  Experience will.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 April 2011 09:17 PM #2

Mav - 27 April 2011 11:59 PM

Like Anyone Cares?.

Sometimes I think the App Store’s “junk apps” selection is bad.  Android Market’s non-curated house of…randomness?  Complete with task killers and soon, antivirus utilities? 

The leaving out iPad apps is particularly misleading.  Still, at some point sheer number of apps isn’t as much of a selling point anymore.  And, kinda like the iTunes Music Store section, there’s just so many apps, and so many new apps added all the time, that numbers won’t differentiate before long.  Experience will.

Exactly. America (perhaps the world) has to get over it’s love affair with ‘bigger is better’ in this case. I mean app discovery is extremely difficult in the AppStore as it is. Gets a little easier/better if you do it in iTunes or on the web(I don’t have an iPad so cannot comment there). This wasn’t as much an issue with physical stores because shelf space had to be earned. Blessing and a curse I guess. Hopefully someone creative will come up with a solution.

Posted: 27 April 2011 11:10 PM #3

After 350,000 apps…eh.

Really, at that point I can usually find an app for whatever I think I need an app for at that moment.  The key is actually being able to find it!

That aside, and going back to the numbers game, as of the mid-Feb. Mobile World Congress this year Eric Schmidt cited “over 150,000” Android apps.  We’ll see if Android can add 200,000+ apps in four months’ time while Apple languishes and adds only 30,000 or so new apps in that same period (assuming iPad apps don’t count)  I’m fine with projections, just cut out the spin please.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.