Does Apple Even Have a Cloud Strategy?

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:34 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2011/04/27/27gigaom-does-apple-even-have-a-cloud-strategy-56832.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

F*ck you, New York Times

[Slight edit to intended expletive by DT}

[ Edited: 28 April 2011 02:12 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 28 April 2011 07:44 AM #1

The truth hurts.

The article is just asking the same thing a lot of people have been asking lately, “Can Apple finally get it right?”

Based on how successful they’ve been in so many other areas I have hope, but I also have my doubts. 

First clue for me, will it be free with possible premiums for say more storage space.  If it’s not, it will fail.

Posted: 28 April 2011 08:16 AM #2

jimlongo - 28 April 2011 10:44 AM

The truth hurts.

The article is just asking the same thing a lot of people have been asking lately, “Can Apple finally get it right?”

Based on how successful they’ve been in so many other areas I have hope, but I also have my doubts. 

First clue for me, will it be free with possible premiums for say more storage space.  If it’s not, it will fail.

Free for any device running iOS or Mac OS X

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 28 April 2011 08:46 AM #3

Apparently Apple just spent 4.5 million dollars on the icloud.com domain name.

So perhaps they do.

Signature

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:46 AM #4

I’m not overly impressed just because Apple spent some lunch money on a domain name.  They very well could have bought it just to bury it.  It must be a slow newsday.

I bet they have a policy of buying nearly any iWhatever domain name that could in any way be associated with one of their products.

I’m sorry I love this company, but I’m going to continue playing devil’s advocate until they prove it.

Free for any device running iOS or Mac OS X

YES, that would be right.  And if they can’t improve on Dropbox and Evernote, then why not buy them?

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:59 AM #5

xian - 28 April 2011 04:34 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2011/04/27/27gigaom-does-apple-even-have-a-cloud-strategy-56832.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

F*ck you, New York Times

I am not sure the article is all that bad.  I agree with most of it.

What I can’t figure out is why would one watch their videos or listen to music via cloud with a delay or be dependent on 3G for Internet vs quick view on their own device.

MobileMe is a cloud already to me without the music part.

SJ will explain, but it appears they have not been ready to introduce for some time.

If they can give FB a run for their money then I think their secret strategy will pay off.  Otherwise I don’t see a cloud move as earth shattering as most see it.

• Posted: 28 April 2011 12:15 PM #6

jimlongo - 28 April 2011 10:44 AM

The truth hurts.

I’m with Jim on this one (although he might fervently wish that I would choose to support someone - anyone - else’s position instead tongue laugh )Apple has to prove that they can do the cloud. The things that make Apple strong with individual products - user experience, integration, controlling the whole stack, proprietary software, charging a premium price for a premium experience - seem to work against them in the cloud.

Apple about to release something. I hope it’ll be great. But I’m not taking that as a given.

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:51 PM #7

Cloud viewing and my vague rating for consumers:

1. General file storage (MUCH room to improve on price, features and possibly reliability)
    2. Email   (I will let others comment)
    3. Music locker (quite possibly won’t apply to me)
    4. YouTube competitor (looking forward to it)
    5. Search engine (mainly my idea—that is, seems few people would agree with this)
    6. Cloud apps   (a direct challenge to Google Apps)
    7. Movies and other video content

As an investor, some of these are more intriguing than others.  As an Apple fan with an anti-Google lean, blah blah.

But really, its from the consumer’s point of view.  What’s the value proposition ? 

I’m looking at switching from my iPad 1 to a 64 GB iPod touch.  I can see the value proposition fairly well as it pertains to me.  Cloud proposition ?  It could be fabulous, pretty good, mediocre or a big thud.

Its up to Apple to deliver.

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:35 PM #8

omacvi - 28 April 2011 02:59 PM
    xian - 28 April 2011 04:34 AM

F*ck you, New York Times

I am not sure the article is all that bad.  I agree with most of it.

What I can’t figure out is why would one watch their videos or listen to music via cloud with a delay or be dependent on 3G for Internet vs quick view on their own device.

MobileMe is a cloud already to me without the music part.

SJ will explain, but it appears they have not been ready to introduce for some time.

If they can give FB a run for their money then I think their secret strategy will pay off.  Otherwise I don’t see a cloud move as earth shattering as most see it.

I agree. I guess it’s the headline. Someone somewhere must have figured out that you get more hit bashing Apple than you do praising it. Called it the SAI model.

The article is not all bad, so why the inflammatory headline? NEVER seen the New York times run a headline that read, “Does the New York Times even have an online strategy?” Then an article that goes on to list it’s MANY failure to monetize it’s online presence (and there have been several).

Likewise have seen nothing with such an insulting headline regarding GOOG, NFLIX or any of the rest of them.

This pissing on Apple for hits trend needs to end. And I expect more from NYT.

Posted: 29 April 2011 10:54 AM #9

Jason Schwarz fires a broadside against Facebook to show market opportunity for Apple.  I will summarize / paraphrase.

Seeking Alpha

1. As a social network, Facebook is more akin to stalking than social interaction.
    2. Social interaction methods on Facebook are primitive.
    3. Facebook platform forces users to adapt to its structure.  Privacy issues.
    4. Facebook platform turns off users.  Facebook market is a lot more concentrated than is commonly believed.

I found every part to be true.  Ease of posting on Facebook is one of the attractive parts, but you’re instantly in point #3.

Posted: 29 April 2011 12:30 PM #10

@jimlongo “?m not overly impressed just because Apple spent some lunch money on a domain name.  They very well could have bought it just to bury it.  It must be a slow newsday.

I bet they have a policy of buying nearly any iWhatever domain name that could in any way be associated with one of their products.”

I am thinking that may be the case.

Does Apple have a cloud strategy? Of course they do, they just are not sharing it with people outside of Apple until the time right.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:17 PM #11

A couple of small issues that would provide added value to “icloud” for me, and that I haven’t heard comment on.

I, and I presume many of you, now have quite a number of macs and IOS devices at home and work. I’d like to be able to access my full music, photo, app, movie etc libraries on all of them. However, digital rights management limits me to 5 devices. This is no longer realistic, and it pisses me off. Its also a pain to keep them sync’d. iCloud would/should fix this.

I would also greatly appreciate it if Apple kept track of all the items I purchased from them, so that if I lost any of the items, I could re-download them. I would also like to be able to upgrade to the next level of digital resolution. Right now most of our music libraries are compressed in non-audiophile quality because of past and current limitations of storage, streaming and player abilities. When these limitations become increasingly less restrictive, I want my media to be upgraded to their maximal discernible resolution. The same goes for movies (1080p, 3-D, whatever’s next). Having a cloud storage system provides the potential to not have to re-purchase things every 3-5 years because the media and playback devices have moved on. A small upgrade charge would be fair (and profitable).

Having this storage service free would bring in the masses, and the benefits to Apple would be obvious, at relatively little cost.

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:20 PM #12

rattyuk - 28 April 2011 11:46 AM

Apparently Apple just spent 4.5 million dollars on the icloud.com domain name.

So perhaps they do.

I’m still holding out for iSquatter.com

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 29 April 2011 01:34 PM #13

Eric I’m afraid someone beat you to it.

Thus the new popularity of .CO names.

• Posted: 29 April 2011 03:06 PM #14

Tetrachloride - 29 April 2011 01:54 PM

I found every part to be true.  Ease of posting on Facebook is one of the attractive parts, but you’re instantly in point #3.

I’m not a fan of Facebook and I think there are plenty of opportunities for effective social networking systems that provide for greater privacy and more targeted content.

• Posted: 29 April 2011 03:47 PM #15

Apple took their time in developing the iPod, iPhone and the iPad.  They released these products only when they were sure they could compete.  Not when they were perfect, only when they were able to blow away the competition.  One of SJ’s greatest abilities is to do this.  All had positive surprises in one way or another.  Apple’s iCloud venture will be the same.  I believe that it will set a new paradigm for ‘cloud computing’, forcing everyone else to rethink what they have done.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.