Does Apple Even Have a Cloud Strategy?

• Posted: 27 May 2011 08:54 PM #31

Tetrachloride - 27 May 2011 03:05 PM

iTunes Cloud to include amnesty for file-sharers ?????

I hope so because all the younger audience will not adopt it if they are going to be sued by the RIAA. The record companies probably get a few cents depending if a person as a song in their library. Eventually, they will get their money for the song and more. I hope Apple’s iCloud will allow people to play a song or movie instantly on any device. I hope SJ has something more in mind than just having songs, movies or files online. I just don’t see anything revolutionary or a great appeal to the masses.

What I envision for a true “Cloud” (hate that term actually) would be to use the iPad or iPhone as a dummy terminal purely as a display and input device connected to the net. You could then have most of the data on a huge cpu and data farm to run your apps or games. This would eliminate the need for major hardware upgrades and move computing to a subscription model. Is it even possible with hardware and definitely bandwidth limitations? Well, you can look at Citrix’s GoToMeeting and think what if I did it better and made it as desirable and sexy as an iPhone or iPad. I think web apps are totally the wrong direction. There has to be a basic core app but using something beyond html. The iPhone revolution happened before my eyes so I am still hopeful.

• Posted: 12 June 2011 12:13 AM #32

westech - 29 April 2011 06:47 PM

Apple took their time in developing the iPod, iPhone and the iPad.  They released these products only when they were sure they could compete.  Not when they were perfect, only when they were able to blow away the competition.  One of SJ’s greatest abilities is to do this.  All had positive surprises in one way or another.  Apple’s iCloud venture will be the same.  I believe that it will set a new paradigm for ‘cloud computing’, forcing everyone else to rethink what they have done.

In the light of the developments at WWDC, I couldn’t resist resuscitating this post from April.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.

Posted: 12 June 2011 01:05 AM #33

Mav - 29 April 2011 11:27 PM
    westech - 29 April 2011 06:47 PM

Apple took their time in developing the iPod, iPhone and the iPad.  They released these products only when they were sure they could compete.  Not when they were perfect, only when they were able to blow away the competition.  One of SJ’s greatest abilities is to do this.  All had positive surprises in one way or another.  Apple’s iCloud venture will be the same.  I believe that it will set a new paradigm for ‘cloud computing’, forcing everyone else to rethink what they have done.

Well… .Mac and MobileMe haven’t set the world on fire just yet.

But real-life studies…er…betas?...or is it, actual cloud products?...shows that the “Cloud” is neither (1) all-important or (2) all-perfect.  Witness OTA software updates that brick certain Android phones, and very dubious things such as Airpush (a _push ad_ platform that invades Android’s push notification space.  Android aside, there’s cloud reliability and capacity/access constraints, particularly when mobile. 

Google may be “winning” in the Cloud but I don’t see that hurting Apple’s fortunes one bit.  I can wait until Apple gets things right.  If anything, the Cloud as far as the rest of us are concerned is prime for straight-up redefinition by Apple.

Apple sure didn’t keep us waiting long!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 June 2011 06:07 PM #34

WetcoastBob - 24 May 2011 05:54 PM

Just getting around to this now.

“icloud.com” directs to “cloudme.com”.  It does not support Safari!!??

Looks like another attempt to pry $$ out of Apple Inc.

Looks like Apple got the domain one way or another. It now takes you to an Apple site with information about iCloud. smile

Posted: 13 June 2011 08:33 PM #35

David Nelson - 13 June 2011 09:07 PM
    WetcoastBob - 24 May 2011 05:54 PM

Just getting around to this now.

“icloud.com” directs to “cloudme.com”.  It does not support Safari!!??

Looks like another attempt to pry $$ out of Apple Inc.

Looks like Apple got the domain one way or another. It now takes you to an Apple site with information about iCloud. smile

4.5 million a couple of months ago.

Posted: 24 June 2011 05:15 PM #36

MacDailyNews link, Apple info

MobileMe services and whether they will be available or not in iCloud this fall:

No iDisk ?  What kind of crap is this ?

• Posted: 24 June 2011 05:30 PM #37

Tetrachloride - 24 June 2011 08:15 PM

MobileMe services and whether they will be available or not in iCloud this fall:

I have a MobileMe account and don’t know why.  I will USE the syncing feature of iCloud (especially with Calendars).  A lot.

The most important feature of iCloud though, is activation/syncing without a computer.  95% of the world’s population doesn’t have a computer.  iCloud makes it possible for them to acquire an iPhone/iPad.  Certainly not all will.  But how about 1% of the unserved masses?  That would increase the total worldwide computer market by 20% (and be all iPads).

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 24 June 2011 07:50 PM #38

Tetrachloride - 24 June 2011 08:15 PM

The referenced article goes on to state:

In addition, the following new services will be available in iCloud:
    ??iTunes in the Cloud
    ??Photo Stream
    ??Documents in the Cloud
    ??Automatic downloads and purchase history for apps and books
    ??Backup and restore

I assume that Documents in the iCloud fills the function of an iDisk.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.