fighting FUD with fact and/or reason

Posted: 28 April 2011 10:52 AM

i woke up this morning with an idea for a website to combat the AAPL FUD.  the AFB plus Horace, Daniel, Robert, Andy, et al already do this wonderfully in their blogs. 

but i was thinking we could have a site focused specifically on combatting FUD.  when items of FUD come up (which lately seems daily), posters could counteract it with logic.  who knows, maybe it would get some eyeballs and possibly mitigate its effect in a small way.  at the very least, it’s doing something about it instead of holding pent-up frustration.

so i registered fudless.net and fudbuster.net and if i get some time in the next few weeks, i’ll set something up.  have to decide if i’ll build a custom site or just use a blog service.

i think i like fudless.net best, it’s more hip, more understated.

let me know what you think, and if people would be interested in posting to such a site.
    thanks.

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:04 AM #1

There’s no question in my mind that raising the profile of these issues is key.  Connotation is a really big issue.  A somewhat coordinated front is also key.

[ Edited: 28 April 2011 02:10 PM by Tetrachloride ]      

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:57 AM #2

Would this be something like snopes for AAPL related FUD themes?

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:05 PM #3

Great idea, especially if you can get the best of AFB on board. One thing I would suggest is a log of some kind listing/tracking the most outrageous sources and perpetrators. If routinely outed, they may start to rethink their actions.

Maybe you could come up with a fud rating system for repeat offenders - 1-5 jackasses?

[ Edited: 28 April 2011 12:13 PM by macProf ]      

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:15 PM #4

the ‘perp’ log might be a good idea.  although i think it’s best to have serious discourse rather than attacks.  if it’s serious and well-written, maybe it’ll get more attention, like PED for example.  i’ll be thinking about this for the next couple weeks.  feel free to post site ideas.

it could be as simple as a blog with archives.

or i could build a custom site to our ‘needs.’

• Posted: 28 April 2011 12:22 PM #5

I was thinking of something similar, but perhaps also distinctly different, called “instant rebuttals.”. A place to collect the best, most well reasoned arguments against canards and myths.

Until such time as your site takes off, perhaps you like to participate in voting for the “F.U.D. of the Week.” Another idea similar, but not the same, as your own.

• Posted: 28 April 2011 01:47 PM #6

If open for public comment, then unless comments are screened for quality, it could contain as much FUD as it refutes.  Screening would be a lot of work.  An alternative would be to allow only a set of posters with known quality.

Fudless may be more hip (not my area of expertise).  But FUDbusters is easier to remember and easier to pronounce and spell, especially if English is a 2nd language.

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:56 PM #7

kloot - 28 April 2011 01:52 PM

let me know what you think, and if people would be interested in posting to such a site.
    thanks.

Name suggestion:  HUMANCENTiBlog.

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:58 PM #8

capablanca - 28 April 2011 04:47 PM

If open for public comment, then unless comments are screened for quality, it could contain as much FUD as it refutes.  Screening would be a lot of work.  An alternative would be to allow only a set of posters with known quality.

Fudless may be more hip (not my area of expertise).  But FUDbusters is easier to remember and easier to pronounce and spell, especially if English is a 2nd language.

yes - it won’t be open for public posting.  comments to posts would be public (probably facebook comments) with share button so articles can go viral.  but actual posts would be approved users.

also, i would point both domains to the site…

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:06 PM #9

capablanca - 28 April 2011 04:47 PM

Wow. This is bordering on self-parody. I will totally buy Google Ads to promote this spectacle!!

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:09 PM #10

To clarify, just in case:

I’d strongly prefer a higher road in appearance and connotation than just anti-FUD.  We already have MacDailyNews as a leading site in its own way.    Good format, high-tone (doesn’t stoop to the gutter).

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:13 PM #11

i woke up this morning with an idea for a website to combat the AAPL FUD.  the AFB plus Horace, Daniel, Robert, Andy, et al already do this wonderfully in their blogs. 

but i was thinking we could have a site focused specifically on combatting FUD.  when items of FUD come up (which lately seems daily), posters could counteract it with logic.  who knows, maybe it would get some eyeballs and possibly mitigate its effect in a small way.  at the very least, it’s doing something about it instead of holding pent-up frustration.

so i registered fudless.net and fudbuster.net and if i get some time in the next few weeks, i’ll set something up.  have to decide if i’ll build a custom site or just use a blog service.

thanks.

Great idea. Open season on APPL has to stop.

• Posted: 28 April 2011 02:40 PM #12

xian - 28 April 2011 05:13 PM

thanks.

Great idea. Open season on APPL has to stop.

Find a way to “effectively” get these FUD refutations through to CNBC then.

• Posted: 28 April 2011 02:51 PM #13

thanks.

People believe what they want to believe.  Faced with facts and reason, they prefer to believe that the facts and reason are wrong, not their belief.  Boy, am I cynical, but I bet that releasing Obama’s birth certificate will have little bearing on the number of idiots who don’t believe that he is a natural born citizen

In spite of this I will be happy to post to your anti-FUD site.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.