Week 18: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 01 May 2011 09:23 AM

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #18.

DEFINITIONS: F.U.D. of the Week is given to the most undeserving reporter, pundit or analyst - the one who shows us the way not to go, the path not to take, the road not to travel. This zero sacrifices their integrity, their honor, their objectivity and our sanity in a pathetic attempt to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt across the interwebs and give us a worserer understanding of the world in which we live in. Extra credit is awarded to them what ought to know better.

RULES:

1) Post the name of the nominee, the date of the offending material and a link to the nominee?s Fouled Up material. Including Fouled Up Dopey quotes is optional but highly encouraged.
    2) Only Fouled Up Dopey material posted during the pertinent week (Saturday, April 30 through Friday, May 6) will be considered.
    3) AFB members get three votes each which they may bestow upon one or more lucky nominees as they will.
    4) Voting will close each Saturday and be tabulated and announced each Sunday.
    5) No matter how many deserving candidates there are, there can be only one Fouled Up Dope, so choose unwisely. All the other nominated Dopes simply get ?Dishonorable Mentions? and a place on our ?Roll of Shame.?

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:13 AM #1

No nominees yet, but we could still create a site badge or something similar to send to the awardee.

From almost four years ago… The AFB iDiot of the Month award.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 04 May 2011 10:53 AM #2

We may need a new adjective to fit in this turkey

CNN: al Qaeda, like Apple Inc., can bounce back from loss of leader

link goes to MacDailyNews, not CNN

• Posted: 04 May 2011 05:36 PM #3

I nominate John Shinal for this crap:

Apple will miss Steve Jobs?s guts

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) ? When Steve Jobs exits Apple Inc., the technology powerhouse will have more than an executive to replace.

Apple will have to learn to live with the following reality: You can?t actually replace a leader like Jobs, who loves his company as if it were a person or cherished thing. No chief executive will be able to do what he does as well as he does; the 20th century produced only one of him.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-will-miss-steve-jobss-guts-2011-05-04

Signature

Posted: 04 May 2011 06:07 PM #4

rattyuk - 04 May 2011 08:36 PM

I nominate John Shinal for this crap:

Apple will miss Steve Jobs?s guts

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) ? When Steve Jobs exits Apple Inc., the technology powerhouse will have more than an executive to replace.

Apple will have to learn to live with the following reality: You can?t actually replace a leader like Jobs, who loves his company as if it were a person or cherished thing. No chief executive will be able to do what he does as well as he does; the 20th century produced only one of him.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-will-miss-steve-jobss-guts-2011-05-04

disney seems to be doing just fine as a company since walt died.

and not that we need another steve jobs when that day comes, but mickey mantle replaced joe dimaggio.  organizations don’t always only get 1 superstar.

• Posted: 04 May 2011 06:32 PM #5

I don’t see much wrong with Shinal’s article actually.  Succession at Apple is going to be hugely challenging.  Job’s is an extremely rare talent.  Replacing him will be next to impossible.  Many people, including those that are highly supportive of the company legitimately question if Apple can keep hitting home runs, once he can no longer lead.  I don’t really see that article as being FUD worthy.

Posted: 04 May 2011 09:51 PM #6

People have just not been noticing how Jobs has ceded the spotlight to many other Apple execs in keynotes for some time now.

Apple isn’t nourished by the rays of a single, mercurial sun - it’s a constellation of stars. 

Yes, Jobs is great, but Jobs’ unspoken goal since returning to Apple was to create a self-sustaining culture and organization.  Look at his relative Zen-ness in version 2.0.  The unified vision of the other execs.  This is not the look of a company that’s headed for trouble when Steve leaves.  It may not seem like it to some, but in the midst of Steve’s health issues is one of the best and smoothest “transitions” a company could _ever_ hope to have.  If you don’t think Steve hasn’t been preparing the company for transition all this time, you’re quite naive.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 May 2011 10:02 PM #7

And the winner going away is Mav…..

• Posted: 04 May 2011 11:47 PM #8

Mav - 05 May 2011 12:51 AM

If you don’t think Steve hasn’t been preparing the company for transition all this time, you’re quite naive.

Of course he is preparing the company, for a transition.  I was not trying to say otherwise. Apple will thrive for a long time no matter what.  If anyone thinks that Wall Street and all kinds of retail investors are not worried about what happens after Steve, well than that is naive. 

Steve has conditioned everyone to expect game changing products to emerge from the Apple machine on a regular basis.  Well, the fact of the matter is that such products don’t emerge from from teams of world class executors, without the vision to go with it. We know that Apple has those executors in spades. What we won’t know until Steve leaves the scene, is whether or not that team has the vision and tenacity to regularly turn entire industries upside down the way Steve has. We also don’t know if the team can yield the power of persuasion over ecosystem partners either. Frankly, I am skeptical that anyone other than Steve could have brought the recording industry on side to create the iTunes ecosystem, which led to the app ecosystem.

I am not saying the team cannot pull it off, but my belief is that the world outside is going to be in “show me” mode until they deliver. Go ahead and call that naive if you want, but that is how I see the sentiment unfolding. In my circle, I am seen as an Apple evangelist, and because of that I have that exact sentiment expressed to me all the time. And this is from people I convinced to get into the stock, who have made outstanding returns. Sorry, but this point if view is not the exclusive domain of FUDittes and link baiters.

Posted: 05 May 2011 12:02 AM #9

Sometimes I give up trying to be perfectly PC, and I leave inflections to common sense interpretation.  Don’t worry Lstream, I wasn’t calling out you or anyone in particular as being naive.

We do disagree on Apple’s leverage as connected to Steve Jobs.  Apple has striven for independence ever since 1996 - and 15 years later, it is as close to independent as most tech companies could ever get (putting the whole contract manufacturing/assembly, outsourcing parts from other companies, etc. stuff aside). 

Lucky for us, Apple is not only leading, but _set up_ to keep leading in: traditional computers, media players (less important, but still useful as Apple/iOS gateway), mobile (phones), tablets, media and apps.  For the next 5-10 years, Apple should outperform in pretty much every sector in tech that really matters. 

Long-term vision is a constant concern for a company because no visionary lives forever and everyone can have a different vision. 

While people keep waiting for Apple’s next big thing, maybe they should also ask - what territories are left that Apple needs to conquer?  Not to say there won’t be new and exciting things in tech, they pop up all the time, but Apple’s reach looks remarkably complete to me right now.  In a way, vision is less important for the time being because Apple (with Steve’s help, of course) has moved so many chess pieces into place over all these years.  In those situations, there isn’t much else to do but execute the game plan, and execute it well.  And Apple doesn’t need Steve for that.  Tim Cook alone is one of the best execs that ever lived.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 May 2011 03:44 AM #10

Can this article count for FUD??

http://seekingalpha.com/article/267862-why-google-will-win-the-smartphone-battle?source=yahoo

Posted: 05 May 2011 11:58 AM #11

Welcome MacrossYF.

Any market analysis story which is missing a scoop of good math is a candidate for FUD.

Today’s nominee is none other than Microsoft. 

Mac vs PC.  The writer of the story says

Microsoft should just become an Apple affiliate and put a ?Buy Now? button underneath the Mac systems too.

ZDNet direct link is blacklisted.  http://www.macsurfer.com/redir.php?u=588813

Posted: 05 May 2011 12:00 PM #12

Microsoft continues with the FUD comparing netbooks against MacBook Airs

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/05/05/microsoft.comparison.tries.to.scare.mac.buyers/

Microsoft has revealed the pressure from Apple on PC market share with a newly posted Canadian page trying to steer buyers away from desktop and notebook Macs. The “Do the Math” site tries to play on stereotypes of Macs always costing more by showing Windows 7 PCs that are supposedly either cheaper or offer more features for a comparable price. Some comparisons are valid, though the comparisons ignore like real-world battery life, where Apple usually comes out on top, and the greatly reduced need to use security software.

Posted: 05 May 2011 10:40 PM #13

So many quotes from folks who make a living selling security software or services.

2011: According to a report from a Danish IT security company…

2010: The McAfee report explains…

2009: The move has been cited by insecurity experts at Sophos…

2008: The company [Sophos] reports…

2007: ...said Patrik Runald, an F-Secure security researcher.

2007: ...said CEO Alex Eckelberry of Sunbelt Software.

2006: Of course, McAfee is in the business of selling antivirus software, so it?s important to take its reports with a grain of salt (as with any antivirus vendor).

2006: ...Oliver Friedrichs, director of security response at Symantec, a leading anti-virus software vendor, said.

2005: ?Symantec: Mac OS X a Hacker Target?

• Posted: 06 May 2011 08:01 AM #14

It’s been a remarkably FUDless week. Still, time to vote.

I’ll cut off the voting on Saturday at midnight and post the results on Sunday.

• Posted: 06 May 2011 08:41 AM #15

I guess I’ll nominate Microsoft as F.U.D. of the Week for their “Do the Math” website.

To be fair - which is more than Microsoft is being - Microsoft’s marketing aim is so poor that they’re more or less shooting themselves in the foot rather than aiming any really effective FUD at Apple. Here’s how Charles Arthur explains it:

First is the extraordinary creation of a comparison shopping site on the Microsoft website called “Do the Math”.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/compare/pc-vs-mac/do-the-math

The suggestion: you can buy an Apple Mac at HUGE expense, or get something for far less and have money left over to do other stuff. Or, as the tagline has it, “Surf the web or surf Hawaii.”

You can then choose from among the Apple line and see how its specifications - especially price - stack up against products running Windows.

Any branding or marketing manager will tell you this is a terrible idea. Why? Because it defines Windows based on price. It means that all the brand equity in the product becomes tied to low prices, not quality - which in turn means that you can never push prices up, or get brand loyalty.

Think of it this way: do you want people to think you’re Ryanair or Easyjet - who have built their brands around “cheap” - or an airline where you pay a bit more? Microsoft is making itself and its partners into the Ryanairs and Easyjets of the PC world.

It doesn’t even work well: the new 27” iMac doesn’t have a competitor if your criterion is screen size. Plus there’s a lot of sleight of hand going on: “Windows Skydrive” (which offers free storage for PCs and Macs) is represented as somehow not available on Macs, where instead the suggestion is that you’ll spend money on Apple’s MobileMe service (which is also available for Windows).

Alternatively, if battery life is your thing, then it seems the MacBook 13 is going to be the one. Plus the fact that some of the MacBook Airs use SSDs - superfast Flash storage - is glossed over rather quickly, with a mention in tiny small print.

And of course that’s before you get to “Security Protection”, which you apparently “purchase separately” for Macs. If you choose to have it (read: do you need antivirus protection for the Mac?, one of the most-read articles on this site) you might as well know that Sophos offers a free one which won an award recently.

So it’s full of misinformation, and it doesn’t even do the job of showing the Windows machines as better in every way (in some cases, they’re very close), but the core failing here is the positioning. What does it say? “Windows machines are cheap.” It really doesn’t look clever for Microsoft to position itself as the Ryanair of computing. These are machines you’ll have for years. Would you want to spend years and years in a Ryanair seat if you could get a better one for a comparatively small extra outlay?