file sharing between 10.6 & 10.39

• Posted: 03 May 2011 10:18 PM

I just upgraded my laptop to 10.6.7,  now I can’t file share with my older desk top running 10.3.9

All I see is a drop box…..

I keep all of my itunes files on external drives hooked to my older desktop and share them to my laptop. 

Does anyone have an idea to fix this problem??

Thanks

Posted: 04 May 2011 01:26 AM #1

Welcome Dave

Try a second user account.  Repair disk permissions, too.

Posted: 05 May 2011 10:44 AM #2

You could also try connecting directly to see if it’s possible to force the two machines to talk.

First, on your desktop, go to System Preferences->Network and make note of your machine’s IP address. That might be something like 192.168.1.102 (any/all of the digits will likely be different, but should be pretty clear in the prefpane).

Then, on your laptop, go to the Finder, then choose Go->Connect To Server from the menu bar. There you’ll need to type in the address of the other computer in the following format: afp://[address] or, using my above example, afp://192.168.1.102

Hopefully that will come up and ask you for a username/password and you’ll be able to connect. Let us know how that goes.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 20 May 2011 02:03 AM #3

You could also enable FTP on both..and use Transmit or Forklift or FileZilla,Cyberduck (free) to move files between the two.

• Posted: 20 May 2011 12:16 PM #4

You might be forced to do ftp as mentioned.  Lots of legacy file sharing support was dropped from 10.6.  10.5 could easily file share with Macs as far back as 9.2.2.  I’m pretty sure official support for anything before 10.4 was dropped from 10.6.  I’ve still gotten 10.6 to file share with older Macs at times, but it’s hit & miss.  On the beige G3 our shop has running for translating older files I installed an ftp server & it also has a USB card for good old SneakerNet with flash drives.

• Posted: 21 May 2011 12:26 AM #5

I’m reading some rather difficult ways to connect 2 Macs. Providing they both have wi-fi, it’s much easier to connect them. With the newer one, pull down the menu under the wi-fi symbol in the top menu bar of the desktop. Under there click Create New Network. When the dialog box comes up don’t put in a password. Just hit Enter. On the older machine, pull down the menu under the wi-fi symbol and connect to whatever was the name of the network the other Mac gave you. Then, click on Network in the Finder sidebar and you’ll see that name there. Click on that name and you should come up with a Connect button which you click. When you’re given the choice of what to load onto your desktop, choose your home folder from the newer machine. You should then have that shown as a hard drive in the sidebar and possibly as an icon on the desktop. Double click it and it will open to show all the files. From that point you can drag and drop anything from the one to the other. This is how I keep my G4 iBook and my G5 iMac files synched with my Intel Mac mini (my main machine). Once you do it, it’s very simple after that.

It can also be done with ethernet connections from one machine to the other. Same procedure.

• Posted: 21 May 2011 12:42 AM #6

That’s a good answer, but if the file sharing protocols won’t match up you’ll have 2 machines connected that can’t share.

Posted: 21 May 2011 01:17 AM #7

Methods to share files (I’m listing some ways more than once because not every person knows what overlaps—such as myself):

1. Finder
    2. FTP
    3. AFP
    4. email
    5. webmail
    6. some webmail designed for large files
    7. iDisk
    8. instant messengers: iChat, Yahoo, etc
    9. external hard disks
    10. flash drives
    11. CD
    12. DVD
    13. Firewire : Target Disk Mode
    14. transfer a disk from one machine to another

Posted: 26 May 2011 09:51 AM #8

Don’t forget Dropbox. It’s not exactly “sharing” as it’s more like Syncing, but it will do LAN syncing, and is pretty automatic about the whole thing.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.