Airport Extreme base Station working with Comcast modem?

• Posted: 05 May 2011 03:38 PM

Hello,

I am moving and the cable provider is comcast. I want to have a wireless network in my home as well. If I buy the Airport Extreme Base Station does anyone know if it works with the Comcast cable modem? Is it hard to set up the wireless network? Comcast wants me to buy there roughter and have them hook it up & said they have to program it to work with all your computers. I really don’t want to go that way. I want to use the Airport Extreme, is it hard to hook up to my cable modem and get a wireless signal throughout the house? i have 2 macs, iPhone, ipad. also, would anyone in my house with a PC still be able to access the wireless network if I’m using the Airport Extreme?

Thanks,
    Larry

Posted: 05 May 2011 03:57 PM #1

Welcome Larry.

I strongly suspect that the Airport Extreme is perfectly fine.    I’m sure there’s some Comcast users (addicted to Comcast ?) here in the MacObserver Forums.

Anyone with a PC will be able to connect.

Configuration is done with Airport Utility.  Initially, the configuration is done with one Mac connected directly with an ethernet cable.  There’s an abundance of features which I generally ignore.

This thread may get moved to another section of the forums soon, but don’t worry—the link will still work.

Posted: 05 May 2011 04:04 PM #2

I had this problem. Sorted it out by forcing the modem to stop reassigning the airport a new IP.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 05 May 2011 04:18 PM #3

I’m using Time Capsule as a wireless router with Comcast. No problems here.

Posted: 05 May 2011 05:11 PM #4

I am also running time capsule with a comcast modem.  No issues.

• Posted: 05 May 2011 05:19 PM #5

Same here. Airport Extreme Base Station and Comcast. All working fine.

Signature

• Posted: 05 May 2011 05:22 PM #6

So all I need for comcast to do is hook there modem up to my computer so I can get internet access then buy the Airport Extreme and hook it up to the cable modem and configure it with the airport extreme software, right? i just want to make sure I have everything I need from comcast.

• Posted: 05 May 2011 06:09 PM #7

Larry Cherrin - 05 May 2011 08:22 PM

So all I need for comcast to do is hook there modem up to my computer so I can get internet access then buy the Airport Extreme and hook it up to the cable modem and configure it with the airport extreme software, right? i just want to make sure I have everything I need from comcast.

Yes, just have Comcast hook up the cable modem to your computer and go away.  After you get the Airport Extreme you connect it in place of your computer and then either connect your computer to the Airport Extreme with a Cat 5 cable or wirelessly.  If your computers are Macs everything will more or less set itself up.  You might have to answer a couple of questions on the setup screen.  PCs are not as automatic, but they will work without too much fiddling.

I have a DSL modem hooked to my Airport Extreme and a Cat 5 cable to one old G5 server.  The two Macbooks, the iPhones, the iPods connect wirelessly.  I even have a G5 server that uses an old Airport Express module with a short Cat 5 cable to wirelessly bridge from one end of the house to the other where I didn’t feel like running Cat 5 in the attic.

• Posted: 05 May 2011 09:10 PM #8

I Just want to thank everyone for all your help. I know exactly what to do now.

Thanks again,
    Larry