John Gruber nails Mac Virus FUDmasters to the wall

• Posted: 19 May 2011 07:17 PM #16

jimlongo - 19 May 2011 06:37 PM

The problem with crying Wolf! is that when the wolf shows up no one listens.

No, the problem is that security experts are crying “Wolf” (Virus) - when the real problem is Trojan Horses. The Trojans had a wall that protected them from Wolves and Greeks and all sorts of outside dangers. But it did them no good because they opened their gates and unknowingly let the enemy in. Similarly, it does no good to listen to the Cassandra’s of doom and gloom. All they want to do is sell you anti-virus software (bigger walls) which would do absolutely no good against the real threat - a Trojan Horse.

redge - 19 May 2011 06:47 PM

I believe that telling people that Macs are significantly less susceptible than PCs to viruses, let alone suggesting that they are more or less immune, which is often how it comes across, promotes complacency…

I’m not sure how to respond to this Redge. How can it be wrong to tell people that Macs are significantly less susceptible than PCs to viruses and tell them that they are, so far, more or less immune when it is absolutely true?

The reality is that trojans exist, viruses exist and the rest is a pointless, and unhelpful argument over which platform is better/worse.

Couldn’t disagree with you more.

Yes, Redge, armed robbers exist and con men exist but distinguishing between the two and realizing that one needs to utilize different defenses against the two is most certainly NOT pointless and NOT unhelpful.

The patrons of windows don’t want people to distinguish between armed robbers and con men because they are susceptible to both and wish others to believe that the Mac is too.

The purveyors of security software don’t want people to distinguish between armed robbers and con men because their software only defends against the former and not at all against the latter.

The patrons of Macs want people to distinguish between armed robbers and con men because the Mac already adequately defends against the former and adding even more unnecessary defenses against the former still leaves them vulnerable to the latter.

Yes, Redge, the reality is “that Trojans exist and Viruses exist”, but the rest of your statement is a complete crock. Not only isn’t it pointless and unhelpful to distinguish between the two, distinguishing between the two is the only way to help. And that’s the point.

• Posted: 30 October 2011 01:28 PM #17

Ummm, I guess nobody has ever heard of Pwn2Own?

Posted: 30 October 2011 02:42 PM #18

Tetrachloride - 06 May 2011 12:43 AM

Which sites sponsored the FUD perps over the years?

How about a Website called “The Mac Observer”?

The Next Thing: Apple Becoming Big Brother

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 30 October 2011 02:50 PM #19

WayneDB - 30 October 2011 04:28 PM

You registered for this site just to post that?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 30 October 2011 06:11 PM #20

Sure, why not?

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:51 PM #21

WayneDB - 30 October 2011 09:11 PM

Sure, why not?

Welcome WayneDB, I look forward to your insight, but despite a couple press releases and proof of concepts the Mac has led a charmed life as far as end user security concerns compared to Windows. The guys at the security conferences spend their entire life looking for exploits, and they are good at what they do, so hopefully they find some overlooked areas and help improve system security.  OS security is complex and the human is the weakest link in the security chain, there is no such thing as a secure system.

• Posted: 31 October 2011 01:59 AM #22

WayneDB - 30 October 2011 04:28 PM

Old news and easily discounted.  When it happens in the real world, let me know.

• Posted: 31 October 2011 02:23 AM #23

jimlongo - 19 May 2011 06:37 PM

This trojan is real, and telling people that Mac’s are immune to viruses does no good for the average user.

I believe that telling people that Macs are significantly less susceptible than PCs to viruses, let alone suggesting that they are more or less immune, which is often how it comes across, promotes complacency, and that the debate is principally of interest to partisans in the Apple/Microsoft Holy War. The reality is that trojans exist, viruses exist and the rest is a pointless, and unhelpful argument over which platform is better/worse.

This is absolutely wrong.  It is the mistaken belief that Macs can get malware without the user knowing it that allows the MacDefender trojan to be successful.  There are no viruses for Macs in the wild, and there are no self-installing trojans.  Contrary to Redge’s implication, there are very real differences in how MS vs Mac users operate safely on the internet.

A question: Why would anyone do an abrupt shutdown by powering off a Mac?  You can kill easily the download, kill the browser app, or just let it download and then delete it.  Powering off could actually cause damage to files.

[ Edited: 31 October 2011 02:26 AM by Zeke ]