Week 19: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 13 May 2011 03:52 AM #16

My nomination for the week:

Channing Smith, co-manager of Capital Advisors Growth Fund, sees Apple move to the cloud as a defensive play.

“What Apple should realize is that if they don’t keep up with the technology that is changing, they can become less relevant going forward. This has happened to Microsoft in the past,” he said…

Really?  Whose technology is Apple supposed to be keeping up with?

• Posted: 13 May 2011 12:30 PM #17

Some good nominations this week. Time to vote. Shameless plugs for your candidate are encouraged.

I’ll add up the totals and announce the “winner” on Sunday.

Posted: 13 May 2011 01:17 PM #18

1 vote each for Channing Smith, Katie Spence and DigiTimes.

Posted: 13 May 2011 01:23 PM #19

Channing Smith sounds like a good candidate, or bad one as the case may be.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 13 May 2011 11:39 PM #20

Channing Smith…..dumbest statement about Apple I’ve heard in a long time.

Posted: 14 May 2011 12:13 AM #21

Channing smith…for even using “apple” and “not keeping up with changing technology” the same sentence.

( typed on an iPad, probably deemed by Smith as a defensive product against the threat of net books.)

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 14 May 2011 12:54 AM #22

Hang on the mail in ballots have not been counted. Have any of you iOS users noted a speed problem after the latest update?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/ipad-wifi-problems-ios-433_n_861483.html

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 14 May 2011 04:31 PM #23

Not FUD but stupidity ( the author is stupid maybe seeking alpha is fudding…)

http://seekingalpha.com/article/269919-are-apple-shares-overvalued-or-undervalued

While comparing Apple?s P/E ratio leaves us with the conclusion that its stock is undervalued, another important metric brings this result into question. If we compare the free cash flow to the enterprise value, we see that perhaps AAPL is overvalued. The enterprise value of Apple has been on a steady incline for the past two years, showing no signs of slowing down. Its free cash flow on the other hand has remained relatively constant in comparison. The result is an ever growing EV/FCF metric, which signals an over valuation - and which I consider more valid because it measures cash flow instead of net income (which can fluctuate with the use of different accounting measures).

In all, Apple is an innovator with a loyal demand for its products. It represents the epitome of a rapidly growing tech stock and an opportunity for large growth. My reservation about Apple is that with the supply shortages and the fact that its EV/FCF metric is increasing rapidly, investors have over predicted the capacity for growth in the short run.

Posted: 14 May 2011 05:08 PM #24

Red shirted ensign - 14 May 2011 03:13 AM

( typed on an iPad, probably deemed by Smith as a defensive product against the threat of net books.)

lol..  nice

• Posted: 15 May 2011 01:53 PM #25

F.U.D. of the Week goest to:

Channing Smith

Dishonorable mention goes to:

Ian Paul: Will OS X Lion be Apple’s Vista?
    The Huffington Post: Steve Jobs Was Furious When An Apple Product Flopped
    Richard Chirgwin: Chinese iPad 2 fanboiz in frenzied fight
    Karan Bajaj: Everything you need to know about the Apple iPad 2
    Steve Kovach: Sorry FaceTime, Windows Phone 7 Just Beat You
    Anton Wahlman: Google to Microsoft, Apple: Pack It Up
    Ben Camm-Jones: IPad 2 and IPhone 4 Shortages on the Way?
    Katie Spence: The Future of Apple May Be Looking Sour!

Posted: 16 May 2011 10:19 PM #26

Do you have a contest for this week?

I want to nominate The Huffington Post, a perennial FUD candidate, in particular the AppleBasherBoys in the comments

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/16/next-iphone-4g-nfc-rumors_n_862698.html

Signature