June Quarter iPod Unit Sales

• Posted: 08 May 2011 06:48 PM

Although increasingly immaterial to near-term results, the Apple iPod line may still contribute $1.25 billion to the June quarter’s revenue results and may put 4 million more iOS-based devices into the wild. Will the steep drop in iPod unit sales continue or will the drop-off in unit sales begin to soften?

Posted: 08 May 2011 07:40 PM #1

I foresee an upward shift in the iPod market away from Nanos to Touches.    The car market collaboration with Apple is now a combination of iPads, iPhones and iPods. 

In terms of personal convenience, I would prefer an iPod touch over an iPad.  In the long term, apps for the iPad will improve and there will be a permanent market differentiation.

My June quarter sales estimate is 8,700,000.

• Posted: 09 May 2011 11:24 AM #2

Tetrachloride - 08 May 2011 10:40 PM

I foresee an upward shift in the iPod market away from Nanos to Touches.    The car market collaboration with Apple is now a combination of iPads, iPhones and iPods. 

In terms of personal convenience, I would prefer an iPod touch over an iPad.  In the long term, apps for the iPad will improve and there will be a permanent market differentiation.

Branding the touch an iPod is currently a misnomer. However, we might see a migration of other iPod models to more of a touchscreen interface.

Posted: 09 May 2011 11:39 AM #3

DawnTreader - 09 May 2011 02:24 PM
    Tetrachloride - 08 May 2011 10:40 PM

Branding the touch an iPod is currently a misnomer. However, we might see a migration of other iPod models to more of a touchscreen interface.

I guess I see the different ipods being targeted at different verticals.  The classic for someone who wants to carry/store their whole music collection as a replacement for the car CD changer or boom box.  The Nano will become the sport maniac version.  They will add gps & wifi to allow the sport nut to listen to music and track their activities.  The touch is the ultra portable computer for the apps some folks are unwilling to pay a monthly data fee but want a computer in their pocket wether for gaming, or music so some other activity. 
    I’ve cut my Jun estimate as I’ve seen greater penetration of the iPad & iPhone.  I know in my household we have repurposed old iPhones as app players as we’ve upgrade to newer iPhones.  The good kind of cannibalization.  I’m looking at 8.465M

Posted: 09 May 2011 12:44 PM #4

It just so happens that this weekend my wife’s old iPod Color Display gave up the ghost. I am not sure what I should do for her, get a Nano, wait for the new iPhone and let her use the old one as a Touych.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 09 May 2011 01:12 PM #5

How about both eventually—get a Nano and maybe some speakers

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/speakers

Then if you need an iOS device, you’ll have a fairly firm idea of which type.

• Posted: 09 May 2011 01:20 PM #6

Excellent questions, DT.

While I have no data other than anecdotal, my guess would be that overall iPod sales are going to fall until the winter holiday season, reflecting both declining demand for stand-alone iPods (Nano, Shuffle and Classic) and continued uptick in sales for the iPod Touch. The fall could lessen in mid-year (grads and dads), but that would be short-lived.

That said, I do think the fall will soften, primarily because there is a substantial user base that want the standalone device (kids, workout devotees, security environments where camera enabled devices are not allowed). In my own household, I have to replace 2 iPods, which I will do shortly, or else let go of my wife’s Bose iPod speakers (which do not work with the iPhone).

On the other hand, that assumes things remain as they are. I will not be surprised if next month Apple come out with something to infuse the iPod line with renewed appeal.

Signature

wab95

Posted: 09 May 2011 01:41 PM #7

@CCl4 “How about both eventually?get a Nano and maybe some speakers”

We have speakers and docks out the gump stump, that is how she was using the old iPod. That and when working out in the gym, maybe that is what killed the hard drive. I have a tie clip style iPod Shuffle and she can use that, but the new Nanos with the pedometer feature might be the best for her. No hurry, she has her iPhone she could use until we make a decision.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 09 May 2011 03:21 PM #8

Sir Harry Flashman - 09 May 2011 03:44 PM

It just so happens that this weekend my wife’s old iPod Color Display gave up the ghost. I am not sure what I should do for her, get a Nano, wait for the new iPhone and let her use the old one as a Touych.

My original iPhone now functions quite well as a touch. Because apps can be loaded on multiple devices it’s an excellent way to keep an old iPhone in service.

Posted: 09 May 2011 03:49 PM #9

@DawnTreader “My original iPhone now functions quite well as a touch. Because apps can be loaded on multiple devices it?s an excellent way to keep an old iPhone in service”

That is a good option. The only downside is that the batteries in our iPhone 3Gs are not holding a charge as long as they did when new, no surprise the there. However, by not having the cell phone enabled the charge may last longer. Also we have Mophie Juice Pack which may not fit the iPhone 5 and could just stay on the iPhone 3Gs when it is off the dock.

Signature

• Posted: 10 May 2011 01:34 AM #10

Sir Harry Flashman - 09 May 2011 06:49 PM

@DawnTreader “My original iPhone now functions quite well as a touch. Because apps can be loaded on multiple devices it?s an excellent way to keep an old iPhone in service”

That is a good option. The only downside is that the batteries in our iPhone 3Gs are not holding a charge as long as they did when new, no surprise the there. However, by not having the cell phone enabled the charge may last longer. Also we have Mophie Juice Pack which may not fit the iPhone 5 and could just stay on the iPhone 3Gs when it is off the dock.

On the 3GS periodically killing apps running in the background also improves battery performance. I’m often surprised just how many apps I have open from active use.

Posted: 10 May 2011 04:28 AM #11

I wonder how many iPod touches get sold in china with the peel device which turns it into a 3G device for use on any carrier?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 10 May 2011 04:40 PM #12

Interesting thing to note: Outside of the holiday quarter, revenue from the segment inclusive of the iTunes stores may soon be higher than the revenue generated from iPod sales.

• Posted: 10 May 2011 07:04 PM #13

In my opinion this is the easiest of the four segments to estimate.  The iPod’s sales history has become very predictable.  8.494 million.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 12 May 2011 06:01 PM #14

Gregg Thurman - 10 May 2011 10:04 PM

In my opinion this is the easiest of the four segments to estimate.  The iPod’s sales history has become very predictable.  8.494 million.

iPod unit sales are also less of a factor in overall revenue performance. Following the March quarter numbers I’ll be looking for at least a 15% YOY unit sales drop.

• Posted: 15 May 2011 09:09 PM #15

Are music sales becoming less important to Apple?