June Quarter iPad Unit Sales (Archive)

Posted: 27 May 2011 05:45 PM #61

Selective coverage.  This is all just the calm before the storm.  Android will pound iOS, iPhone and iPad to dust any minute now…

Seriously, as long as supply is good enough, an 8 million iPad quarter looks to be well within reach.  The demand is there.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 May 2011 05:51 PM #62

Zaky estimates iPad Q3 sales at 10 millions units

http://seekingalpha.com/article/272181-zaky-2011-2012-ipad-sales-estimates

Posted: 27 May 2011 05:55 PM #63

Only 8 million?! I thought the minimum was 9 million.

April 2.5 M
    May 3.0 M
    June 3.5 M

My WAG last month was 10 M, but that’s totally shooting from the hip.

Posted: 27 May 2011 06:21 PM #64

Tetrachloride - 27 May 2011 04:13 PM

Any comprehensive number crunchers out there on the supply chains ?

I think it is safe to say we are still supply constrained for the qtr.  I follow,  touch panel production, LCD production and Foxconn manufacturing capacity as my key indicators. Touch panel we have Wintek & TPK and TPK is also getting sub modules from Sintek & Cando.  The capacity is expanding rapidly.  For LCD panels we have LG, Samsung and adding AUO/CMI.  The AUO/CMI estimate I’ve seen was an extra 1M panels per month initially.  LG was 30M, Samsung 15M and AUO 15M (annual run rates).  Production we have Shanghi capable of 2.5M per month and Chendgu at 1.2M per month and expanding goal is 40M in 2012 and 100M in 2013.  Brazil in July with unknown capacity.  IMO production June is 4M, May 3.2, April 2.5 sell thru 9.2. 
    Sorry no links the IPad and linking sort of sucks :-(

Posted: 27 May 2011 10:56 PM #65

Drew, I was relatively bearish on iPad last quarter and was still way high.  So my iPad estimate will start low and possibly go higher towards the end of the quarter based on what little data is available.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 May 2011 11:11 AM #66

Overall, demand is not the issue.  However, matching demand with supply of WI-FI or 3G ATT or 3G VZ is an issue.  So, channel maintenance is a factor in theory.

China factory shutdown could be a factor.

——- now for some positive news

Someone here in AFB wrote that a delivered iPad counts as a sale.  An iPad in shipment probably does not.  Therefore, international shipments on the last day of FYQ2 will count in Q3 (April-June).

I’m setting my high end limit as 9.5 million unless Net Applications encourages me otherwise.  A more realistic number could be around 8.5

No news really.  Just recapping and digesting what is out there.