Week 20: F.U.D. of the Week

Posted: 19 May 2011 07:08 PM #16

“It is not just that they mention only iPhone in their headline”

You could have an article about split infinitives and only language geeks would read it, but insert Apple, iPhone, or Steve Jobs into the headline and you get a lot of page hits.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 19 May 2011 07:22 PM #17

Everybody Panic!

Apple’s Mac App Store Puts Users at Risk

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 20 May 2011 12:10 PM #18

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/05/20/are-shorts-watching-apple.aspx

Motley Fool writer Seth Jayson puts up some numbers “Accounts Receivable” and “Days Sales Owed” (AR and DSO) and says that short sellers are watching these numbers.  Numbers might be worrisome, he says.  Then he steps back from that FUD asking if these are reasonable DSO’s.  Apple’s DSO is currently lower than the 3 “competitors.”  But then he steps it up again.

Differences in business models can generate variations in DSO, so don’t consider this the final word—just a way to add some context to the numbers. But let’s get back to our original question: Will Apple miss its numbers in the next quarter or two?

The numbers don’t paint a clear picture. For the last fully reported fiscal quarter, Apple’s year-over-year revenue grew 82.7%, and its AR grew 100.9%. That’s a yellow flag. End-of-quarter DSO increased 9.9% over the prior-year quarter. It was up 4.3% versus the prior quarter. Still, I’m no fortuneteller, and these are just numbers. Investors putting their money on the line always need to dig into the filings for the root causes and draw their own conclusions.

Its FUD, not FUD, FUD, not FUD, alternating thru the “story”.

Posted: 20 May 2011 12:24 PM #19

Well the iPad came out at the end of last quarter (plus macbook) . He use for is calculation end of quarter Receivables. Of course Receivables at the end of March will be higher as they just fill the channel with inventory… for a new product not just to boost sales.

• Posted: 22 May 2011 10:07 AM #20

F.U.D. of the Week goes to:

Craig Berger

Dishonorable mention goes to:

Is Dell Trying to Fool Itself or Others
    Huffpost Tech: Next iPhone To Have 4G, NFC? Think Again, Say Analysts
    John R. Quain : Say goodbye to era of Mac malware immunity
    Jay Yarow: Apple?s Internal Goal Of 45 Million iPads This Year Is “Out Of Reach,” Says FBR
    Notable Calls: Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL): Apple Cutting 2Q11 iPhone Production?! ? FBR
    Scott Moritz : Apple?s June Showcase to Lack Jewels
    Felice Medders: Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhones Could Be In Trouble
    THE JOSHMEISTER: Apple’s Mac App Store Puts Users At Risk
    Seth Jayson: Are Shorts Watching Apple?

Week 21 Nominations may be posted here.

[ Edited: 22 May 2011 10:12 AM by FalKirk ]