Happy anniversary, baby!

Posted: 17 May 2011 12:37 PM #16

I actually posted above what the new product is but NOBODY saw it I guess.

This actually came from a misunderstanding:

Steve to Phil and Tim “we need to sue all of these mother fuc$kers copying our products”

Phil to Tim later “steve said we need to sew all of these products together - I have an idea”

What is you see in the picture is the result.

• Posted: 17 May 2011 12:45 PM #17

Nagrani - 17 May 2011 03:37 PM

Steve to Phil and Tim “we need to sue all of these mother fuc$kers copying our products”

Phil to Tim later “steve said we need to sew all of these products together - I have an idea”

Yes, I sew it.

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 17 May 2011 12:47 PM #18

omacvi - 17 May 2011 03:31 PM

You do realize we are relying on one rumor from BGR.  Maybe they are just wrong about the details.

A distinct possibility. But that shouldn’t stop an adrenaline-fuelled speculation fest.

Signature

wab95

Posted: 17 May 2011 01:13 PM #19

Ahhh the grapevine! lol

“Johnny and the Mothers are playin’ Stompin’ At the Savoy in Vermont tonight”

Posted: 17 May 2011 01:21 PM #20

wab95 - 17 May 2011 03:45 PM

Yes, I sew it.

Nagrani & wab: LOL

• Posted: 17 May 2011 03:33 PM #21

A piece of Apple’s iCloud likely - New iPods

by: Mark Reschke

Taking in the smoke from the rumor mill, don’t get excited about Apple launching some form of anniversary Mac hardware, or delivering some surprise Apple HDTV product, that just isn’t happening. Apple does not waste hundreds of millions of dollars in free press when launching into new markets, and pulling some surprise Mac launch over the weekend would be doing exactly that.

Agreed.

What’s more likely is a software/cloud initiative.

Whoa, whoa, and whoa!

What happened to the all that logic you were using in the first four-fifths of that paragraph? If Apple isn’t going to waste hundreds of millions of dollars in free press when launching into new markets and selling new hardware, they are most certainly not going to do it for something as important as a cloud initiative.

If anything, the opposite would be true. As stupid as it would be to do so, Apple could dump the iPhone 5 on the market and people would pick it apart and figure out exactly where and how it was different from the iPhone 4. But a cloud initiative begs for a mega-Steve Jobs presentation with graphs and charts and blue jeans and demonstrations and snacks for the reporters and pretty pictures and mock turtle necks and live blogging and hyperbolic superlatives and media frenzy and - most of all - a detailed explanation of how the new cloud initiative tied everything together. Unless we’re talking about some minor upgrade to Mobile Me, a cloud initiative DEMANDS a formal and large scale presentation.

Posted: 17 May 2011 05:23 PM #22

Suppose the rumored weekend events were not about retail hardware releases.

1. Cloud iTunes
    2. iTunes pricing changes, regardless of Cloud
    3. MobileMe
    4. Lion (too early)
    5. iOS upgrade (too risky.  this could damage a lot of apps.)
    6. temporary pricing cuts
    7. promotional bundles
    8. free kool-aid
    9. changes in store function (AppleCare, One-to-One, child day care)

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:42 PM #23

Two thoughts. 1) it could just be employee training for something that the public won’t hear about for a while.  I’d say it’s an employee preview of Lion, except the hardware part of the rumor doesn’t fit. 2) What’s to say Apple won’t send out media event invitations in the next couple days for something on next Mon/Tues? They might be training the employees a tad early in preparation.  No Sun morning events can just be because all the employees will be tired and sleeping after their night-time training.

Posted: 18 May 2011 09:50 AM #24

Australia tipster says Apple event will be worldwide.

The visual merchandising begins Saturday, but the event may be later ??

http://www.9to5mac.com/67736/apple-store-2-0-event-is-international-will-hit-pacific-first/

Posted: 18 May 2011 10:00 AM #25

I get it now; all makes sense.

Think of the number of people who travel inside an apple store a DAY. Million+

What I think Apple is going to do (brilliantly) is put up visual merchandising for the iCloud/Lion and start hyping the WWDC. Rather than be focused on hardware and software - they are going to use their stores as a way to hype the heck out of the upcoming WWDC conference which will be software based..  Brilliant

Posted: 18 May 2011 10:32 AM #26

I’ll be at the fruit company headquarters all day tomorrow. Will see if I can pick up any tidbits about this upcoming event. Redeye out on Friday so I’ll have all day to haunt the south bay stores in the leadup to whatever Sunday brings.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 18 May 2011 12:48 PM #27

Nagrani - 18 May 2011 01:00 PM

What I think Apple is going to do (brilliantly) is put up visual merchandising for the iCloud/Lion and start hyping the WWDC. Rather than be focused on hardware and software - they are going to use their stores as a way to hype the heck out of the upcoming WWDC conference which will be software based..  Brilliant

Similar to how they have had banners at WWDC covered until after the keynote?

ohhh, that would create an air of suspense with the general public. Huge crowds at Apple stores for a simultainous unvailing of a new product that has been under a cover for the past two weeks. News agencies will have live cameras, bloggers camped out live streaming the event… Now THAT’S how to get the attention of the public.

Posted: 18 May 2011 12:56 PM #28

CdnPhoto - 18 May 2011 03:48 PM

ohhh, that would create an air of suspense with the general public. Huge crowds at Apple stores for a simultainous unvailing of a new product that has been under a cover for the past two weeks. News agencies will have live cameras, bloggers camped out live streaming the event… Now THAT’S how to get the attention of the public.

Please see the intraday threat.  It appears it is new system of taking money via iPads.  Not a big deal in my book.

• Posted: 18 May 2011 01:20 PM #29

omacvi - 18 May 2011 03:56 PM

It appears it is new system of taking money via iPads.  Not a big deal in my book.

Short term implications may be quite small. Long term implications are intriguing.

A part of me thinks that it’s easier for the retail clerks to continue to use the smaller iPod Touches which allows their them to have their hands free until they need to pull the devices from their pockets. But a part of me sees the iPads as devices that can be used not only as mobile cash registers, but also for mini-sales presentations and administrative (inventory, etc.) purposes as well. I wonder if this will lead to the use of satchels to better carry one’s iPad when not in use.

Already, when I go into my local Apple retail store for an appointment with a Genius, the employees use an iPad to check me in. This could obviously be extended to all sorts of retail establishments such as restaurants, hair dressers, quickie eye care facilities, etc.

Long, long term, if the iPad catches on as a mini-sales register, sales helper and administrative tool, it will only further increase the ubiquity and the popularity of the iPad form factor.

• Posted: 18 May 2011 02:25 PM #30

omacvi - 18 May 2011 03:56 PM
    CdnPhoto - 18 May 2011 03:48 PM

Please see the intraday threat.  It appears it is new system of taking money via iPads.  Not a big deal in my book.

You wouldn’t need to black out the windows if that’s all there is to it.  Has to be something else.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!