WWDC

Posted: 25 May 2011 01:47 PM

GS sees new product
    http://www.benzinga.com/options/11/05/1111405/goldman-sachs-suggests-buying-strangles-on-apple-inc

Similar to last year around this time - apple should release some sort of press release announcing who will lead keynote this year. 

What else can we expect besides software stuff? Maybe no iPhone but anothsr product to support zaky’s opex commentary.

Floor is open…

Posted: 25 May 2011 02:41 PM #1

I hope to review OpEx again soon.  I want to make sure of all the components.

My crystal ball is fractured as well as hazy. 

I’m suspecting a mid summer iphone.

Posted: 25 May 2011 02:56 PM #2

That’s a lot of OpEx.  The data center is mostly CapEx, and while of course it needs to be staffed, I can’t see it being the sole, or major, reason why OpEx guidance shot up sequentially by $200 million, even if it was already up and running.  Also, Apple’s Retail 2.0 initiative is more of a tweak, and with all those iPads, comes out to maybe $4 million in CapEx and fairly minimal OpEx (one or two special retail meetings with key personnel sticking around for training or store reconfiguration).

Let’s say the iPhone 4S will be revealed at the WWDC keynote.  The Schiller is a fine keynote presenter in his own right (first iMac G5, the 3GS) so him introducing the 4S wouldn’t be a problem per se, though the Steve Jobs health watch folks are probably looking for SJ to get on stage for any iPhone reveal at least.

What does a 4S need to sell like hotcakes?  The A5.  But of course Apple wouldn’t stop there.  1080p video maybe, some battery tweaks (still waiting on that 1000-charge battery that you have in the MacBook/Pros!), tweaked external antenna, HSPA+ support (or at least having download speeds of 14.4 Mbps or higher), and one or two other surprises would be just fine.  A speed bake-off between the 4 and 4S, or the 4S and a contemporary Android phone, should seal the deal. 

LTE?  I think AT&T’s recent LTE announcement (“launching in 5 cities! 70 million people covered by the end of the year!”) kinda says it all.  Not convinced because it’s AT&T?  Well just look at Verizon’s anemic-looking 4G map.  If we’re talking far less than half of the US being covered by 4G, it’s not really a selling point to the many customers who can’t use it unless they travel to very specific markets.  And more and more people are becoming aware that 4G = $120 extra or more a year, per line, etc.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.