Dumping aapl shares last quarter

Posted: 26 May 2011 12:55 AM

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/25/whos-been-dumping-their-apple-holdings/

This is very interesting.

several points

first of all it is meaningless unless we know what they did every quarter to get a perspective.  It would be great to know the dates of the transactions to see how much they move every quarter.

Secondly despite the selling aapl is only down 9% from ATH and I doubt they all sold at the top.

Thirdly it is becoming clear that some institutional investors are not long term holders but rather day traders.  You don’t dump 3 million shares, unless you need the cash badly or known you can buy back for $20 less.

Posted: 26 May 2011 01:01 AM #1

i consider this “old news” - one quarter ago for money managers?  that was eons ago for them.  stuff that happened in the first quarter:

1. steve jobs medical leave announcement
    2. japan earthquake and tsunami
    3. initial run to 360+

they could of sold for any of these reasons, plus raising cash, rebalancing their ports, etc.

Posted: 26 May 2011 01:06 AM #2

kloot - 26 May 2011 04:01 AM

i consider this “old news” - one quarter ago for money managers?  that was eons ago for them.  stuff that happened in the first quarter:

1. steve jobs medical leave announcement
    2. japan earthquake and tsunami
    3. initial run to 360+

they could of sold for any of these reasons, plus raising cash, rebalancing their ports, etc.

I agree

But was is fascinating is that with a mere 20K shares you can move the stock significantly.  Especially if those in the know are aware who the seller or the buyer is.  Can you imagine what you can do if you dumped 3 million shares over a period of several weeks.?

Posted: 26 May 2011 02:27 AM #3

Old hat news. And most of it relates to the rebalance on the NAS.

Once again, old news.

Signature

“the power to crush the other kids”

http://www.differentdistrict.com/movies/play.php?id=280_0_28_0

Posted: 26 May 2011 03:26 AM #4

MacManus - 26 May 2011 05:27 AM

Old hat news. And most of it relates to the rebalance on the NAS.

Once again, old news.

Rebalancing took place in 2nd quarter.

It is old news but may shed light on why we are going nowhere since hitting ATH in Feb.

Posted: 26 May 2011 07:07 AM #5

Huge volume of selling is not what is keeping AAPL down.  There are other mechanisms and groups operating those mechanisms.

Posted: 26 May 2011 03:15 PM #6

redge - 26 May 2011 06:02 PM

Is the statement in this article to the effect that 10 shareholders own 25% of the company correct?

Yes, according to the data here.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 May 2011 12:59 AM #7

yes, GS sold 1.3M shares in 11Q1. But by the same SEC filing GS also
    hold options. In 10Q4, they have 3.1M shares of net PUT. In 11Q1, they
    have 0.8M shares of net CALL. So in terms of the options they buy, they
    are on the long side of 3.9M shares. That is much larger than the 1.3M
    shares they sold.  Anybody knows if they also reported PUT/CALL they shorted ?
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/886982/000076999311000320/f13f201004.txt
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/886982/000076999311000421/f13f201101.txt

• Posted: 27 May 2011 01:58 AM #8

Treehouse - 26 May 2011 10:07 AM

Huge volume of selling is not what is keeping AAPL down.  There are other mechanisms and groups operating those mechanisms.

You are correct.  The problem isn’t institutional selling, its the lack of institutional BUYING that is holding AAPL down.  Why aren’t institutions buying?  I’m back in town and working on my thesis that Apple has missed its internal earnings estimates for the past 2, maybe three, quarters, and that is causing institutional buyers to sit on their hands/pocketbooks.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.