Microsoft: Will it be too late to tablet party? Not with Office optimized device

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:44 PM #31

I was looking at the video today and i remember sj truck quote and this image came in my mind

So ms is taking the body of a leaf car put it on top of a f 150 frame hoping that people will use it both for pleasure and work

They don’ t understand that it don’t work

Just try to vnc on a mac from an ipad. Possible but. Not the best. Yesterday i found remoter vnc on ipad that use a virtual trackpad….now i can vnc more easely proving that the mouse kb combination is still better for mac os or windows input

• Posted: 03 June 2011 11:10 AM #32

More from John Gruber:

Today?s iPad is lacking and limited, like the Mac of 1985. But also like the Mac of 1985, I believe it foreshadows the future of personal computing. And the iPad, unlike the Mac of 1985, has already achieved enormous mass-market popularity. It?s my opinion that its popularity stems primarily from its conceptual simplicity, and from design constraints which place inordinate emphasis on UI responsiveness and battery life. Those things ? not ?perfection? ? are what the iPad achieves by not ?trying to be a Mac?.

Emphasis added

Gruber takes a lot of heat for being an Apple apologist, but he really is a pretty perceptive guy. And he knows how to write. Even many Apple aficionados haven’t yet grasped what Gruber is trying to explain - conceptual simplicity trumps computing power.

What’s even more impressive than how Gruber gets “it” is how Apple not only got “it” but then was able to turn “it” into the reality of the iPad. What a monumental achievement.  As always, when you look back at Apple’s greatest successes, you realize that it has nothing to do with making their devices more powerful and everything to do with making the users of their computers more powerful. It’s a subtle distinction totally lost on the PC crowd.

Newman is saying it?d be nice to have it both ways. I?m saying you can?t have it both ways. He?s definitely right ? it would be nice. But I?m pretty sure I?m right, too ? that it can?t be done.

That’s my argument in a nutshell. Microsoft refuses to concede that desktops are superior at some things and tablets are superior at others. They want to be the Peanut Butter Cup of operating systems. Chocolate (a desktop OS) is good. Peanut Butter (a tablet OS) is good. Let’s put them together and make something better!

Microsoft wants to rule the land of desktops like a lion and the skies of tablets like an Eagle. Accordingly, Microsoft is constructing the operating system equivalent of a Griffin - half lion-half bird. But the Griffin only exists in mythology. It’s not real. Instead of ruling both the land and the air - the desktop and the tablet - Microsoft’s hybrid operating system is going to find itself ill-suited for life in either sphere.

What Microsoft revealed this week is that they do not believe there is a post-PC era. They?re banking that the PC era will never end.

Exactly. And not only has the post-PC era already begun but Microsoft’s upcoming tablet entry may mark the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end for Ballmer, if not Microsoft.

Posted: 03 June 2011 02:31 PM #33

Microsoft does not want to join the post-PC party, they want to extend the Windows PC party. Windows on every device. Every device is a PC.

• Posted: 03 June 2011 03:05 PM #34

Newman is saying it?d be nice to have it both ways. I?m saying you can?t have it both ways. He?s definitely right ? it would be nice. But I?m pretty sure I?m right, too ? that it can?t be done.

It can and it will but if it’s Microsoft that pulls it off it will be the first time.  Don’t forget that Apple was touting the benefits of single use iPods right up until they introduced the iPhone.  I don’t think that we all WANT to have all the devices that currently populate our household,. it’s just that they are ALL limited in one way or another at the moment.  That needn’t always be true. One of the elements missing from this discussion of simplicity, usability, and interfaces is voice which may be part of Monday’s presentation.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 03 June 2011 05:25 PM #35

Drew Bear - 03 June 2011 05:31 PM

Microsoft does not want to join the post-PC party, they want to extend the Windows PC party. Windows on every device. Every device is a PC.

It’s not necessarily a bad strategy or even an anti-progress vision of the future - it’s just how Microsoft sees things.  The problem, as always, is in implementation.  Windows has never been about making things truly simpler or different, until the Zune HD interface anyway.  Needless to say the disconnect between Zune HD and Windows is enormous.  Apple (2.0) has always, always been about simplicity.  Turns out, lots of folks like simplicity.  (And at the same time, if you gotta have your word processing and spreadsheets, boom, iWork for iOS and a keyboard if you must, and there you go.)  That and OS X’s adaptability are huge drivers behind Apple’s vision being the more likely to succeed.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 June 2011 08:39 PM #36

Gruber’s final comments on his continuing thoughts about Windows 8.

What Microsoft revealed this week is that they do not believe there is a post-PC era. They?re banking that the PC era will never end.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/06/ice_water_enthusiast

• Posted: 05 June 2011 02:57 AM #37

Macalope get’s my vote for the quote of the day.

If you want a ride to the future, there are two ways to get there. One is to catch a ride in the race car Apple?s driving and accept the fact that, for the pleasure of a nice ride, you?re going to have to pay the tolls along the road. Otherwise, you can catch the Microsoft bus. They don?t make you pay the tolls but the bus stops everywhere.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 05 June 2011 04:21 AM #38

Since when don’t you pay tolls on the Microsoft bus?  (I’m a PC user too.)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 June 2011 04:22 PM #39

BillH - 05 June 2011 05:57 AM

Macalope get’s my vote for the quote of the day.

If you want a ride to the future, there are two ways to get there. One is to catch a ride in the race car Apple?s driving and accept the fact that, for the pleasure of a nice ride, you?re going to have to pay the tolls along the road. Otherwise, you can catch the Microsoft bus. They don?t make you pay the tolls but the bus stops everywhere.

A good one, but I prefer this little snippet:

What Microsoft demonstrated on Wednesday is exactly what I want in a computer—a lightweight tablet UI that’s meant for casual computing and a powerful, classic Windows that allows me to work.-Jared Newman

The problem with Newman’s argument is that the part Gruber, Snell, and the Macalope are suggesting isn’t going to work is the part that Microsoft has already tried and failed with. If people are dying to run full versions of applications on tablets, why haven’t they been doing that for years? Answer: Because the user experience is like trying to put on a production of Riverdance in an airplane bathroom.