Semi-OT?  WWDC Predictions!

• Posted: 06 June 2011 06:46 AM #16

So far I don’t see anything that will move the stock.  Syncing via cloud & universal cloud access to media?  Who really cares enough to move the share price?  A new OS for Macs and a new IOS5?  Again, I don’t think I see a market mover.  There has to be something else, because Apple has in it’s own fashion put out too much early info. 

It may just be that today is the day that Apple introduces their view of tomorrow with the knowledge that it will change the world, but equal knowledge that we might not appreciate what they are telling us for quite a while.  This could be a yawner but only because most of us won’t appreciate what we hear.

On the other hand, if they announce the acquisition of Twitter and the iPhone 4s….oh, well.  Stay tuned.

• Posted: 06 June 2011 10:16 AM #17

ncgo4 - 06 June 2011 09:46 AM

So far I don’t see anything that will move the stock.  Syncing via cloud & universal cloud access to media?  Who really cares enough to move the share price?  A new OS for Macs and a new IOS5?  Again, I don’t think I see a market mover.  There has to be something else, because Apple has in it’s own fashion put out too much early info. 

It may just be that today is the day that Apple introduces their view of tomorrow with the knowledge that it will change the world, but equal knowledge that we might not appreciate what they are telling us for quite a while.  This could be a yawner but only because most of us won’t appreciate what we hear.

On the other hand, if they announce the acquisition of Twitter and the iPhone 4s….oh, well.  Stay tuned.

Agreed.  WS is unlikely to hear (and appreciate) the features from software and cloud integration. You didn’t mention the possibility for Apple to signal some kind of roadmap for streaming a broader array of movies under the Netflix model, so I will.  Twitter?  That’s a fairly safe bet they will make it part of iOS5—Apple doesn’t need to purchase it.  Any new hardware is probably limited to a new router/time capsule that runs with iCloud.  We don’t have much longer to wait….

• Posted: 06 June 2011 10:30 AM #18

I think PED has it right with his recap of WWDC and what it might bring:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/06/the-murkiest-wwdc-ever/#more-61303

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:44 AM #19

For the Time Capsule scenario to work big soon,  there would have to be a strong reduction in price.

Why ?  I already have a router, backup drives and the software I want.  In another year, I would revisit such a large change.

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:48 AM #20

Way at the the top of my wish list is the original iTools.  Mail, files, calendars for free or highly affordable.

Next is wireless syncing of apps and media to iOS devices.

Finally, better file access for apps to my Mac.  Wirelessly.

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:56 AM #21

Mercel - 06 June 2011 01:16 PM

Agreed.  WS is unlikely to hear (and appreciate) the features from software and cloud integration. You didn’t mention the possibility for Apple to signal some kind of roadmap for streaming a broader array of movies under the Netflix model, so I will.  Twitter?  That’s a fairly safe bet they will make it part of iOS5—Apple doesn’t need to purchase it.  Any new hardware is probably limited to a new router/time capsule that runs with iCloud.  We don’t have much longer to wait….

I think you hit on a key point, to move the stock wall street needs to understand the implications of the changes announce, which since most have limited technical background they will wait and see the results in the market.  I think the key is how the changes to the iOS and Lion & iCloud strengthen the tie-in to the Apple ecosystem.  We are all aware of the halo effect, will the new software lead to additional halo sales.  Since no shiny things will be announce and the tech pundits will shout meh, Wallstreet will have the perfect opportunity to move the stock lower a major event, and of course SJ looks thin or Apple has lost its way because they didn’t announce the iPhone 5 or iPad 3 or Sandy Bridge Macbook Air.  A router/nas is beyond the comprehension of the average user so I’m sure it will be over the head of the Wallstreet trader who relies on Windows.  This is a developers conference and so Apple will be showcasing primarily for this audience the new underpinnings of the Apple system so they can start to imagine how they will best use these enhancements and consumers can look forward to when the new shiny things are released with all the latest software.

• Posted: 06 June 2011 11:07 AM #22

MacB - 06 June 2011 09:05 AM

uhhh…..huhuhuhu….something cool?

Damn! You’ve nailed it!

All snark aside, MacB, that is every bit as incisive as anything else I’ve read about the upcoming WWDC. Nobody’s got any idea what’s coming. But you’re right on the money. Whatever it is, it’s gonna be way cool!

• Posted: 06 June 2011 11:11 AM #23

So far I don’t see anything that will move the stock.

I won’t speak to whether today’s presentation will move the stock. The market moves in mysterious ways. But I think industry watchers are going to enjoy (suffer?) a few jaw dropping moments.

• Posted: 06 June 2011 11:21 AM #24

Hmmm, out on the proverbial limb: how about iOS5 allows AppleTV to have apps? And maybe something to totally blow up the cable tv industry.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:29 AM #25

Netflix made a move into my living room over the weekend.  iTunes store could not deliver on selection and renting. 

Let us not forget the very tiring cumbersomeness of the Apple iOS stores compared to the Netflix UI.

Blowing up the cable tv industry ?  Give it a shot, Apple.  We all have preferences on both “standard” and “premium” channels, maybe even infomercial shows.  I don’t want to pay for dross.

[ Edited: 06 June 2011 11:32 AM by Tetrachloride ]      
  • Posted: 06 June 2011 11:37 AM #26

pats - 06 June 2011 01:56 PM

A router/nas is beyond the comprehension of the average user so I?m sure it will be over the head of the Wallstreet trader who relies on Windows.

Considering this is the World Wide Developer Conference and not the Joe Schmo Armchair Convention (JSAC, the J is silent) there is going to be plenty that will go over the “average” user’s head. However I disagree that NAS is beyond the scope of the end user especially if done the Apple way.

WebDAV based NAS along with Air(Play/Print/Drop) will be important to the Cloud, especially in the home network. A TimeCapsule/Router that is also the AirDrop station for iPhones and iPads at home, and works as seamlessly as iOS. Think iWorks which just got WebDAV support, two or three clicks and you’re syncing with the TimeCapsule and iCloud at the same time. No configuration WPA2, MAC Filtering, VPN setup. Just AppleID log-ins.

=====

Crazy predictions…

? iCloud replaces iTunes as sync point. iCloud gets a Lion/Windows based App that can access the “documents” of most Apps wirelessly.
    ? WiFi Sync and TimeMachine like backup to home iCloud or TimeCapsule for iOS
    ? Better system for file transfer between Apps on iOS. Still not a true File System but better then “Open In…”

Really Far out prediction…
    ? iOS 5 allows devices (especially WiFi only ones) to enter ad-hoc or “pairing” mode for quick burst file transfers. Handshake initiated by bluetooth to later be replaced by NFC or “ultra/subsonic”.

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:48 AM #27

- iCloud becomes the default way to sync, stopping the need to use a computer to activate your iPhone, iPad and iPod. However, user must have a N wireless access point

- iOS5 includes new notification process, iDisk app is replaced by iCloud app, Camera has added forward link to Twitter and Facebook, Multitasking controls are tweaked to make it easier to turn off apps (and perhaps to limit which apps you want to run in the background)

- Lion - Last and greatest of the OSX branding title.  A major stepping stone to unifying OSX and iOS in 2 years.

Signature

Tron is cool

Posted: 06 June 2011 12:36 PM #28

Dorje Sylas - 06 June 2011 02:37 PM
    pats - 06 June 2011 01:56 PM

A router/nas is beyond the comprehension of the average user so I?m sure it will be over the head of the Wallstreet trader who relies on Windows.

Considering this is the World Wide Developer Conference and not the Joe Schmo Armchair Convention (JSAC, the J is silent) there is going to be plenty that will go over the “average” user’s head. However I disagree that NAS is beyond the scope of the end user especially if done the Apple way.

WebDAV based NAS along with Air(Play/Print/Drop) will be important to the Cloud, especially in the home network. A TimeCapsule/Router that is also the AirDrop station for iPhones and iPads at home, and works as seamlessly as iOS. Think iWorks which just got WebDAV support, two or three clicks and you’re syncing with the TimeCapsule and iCloud at the same time. No configuration WPA2, MAC Filtering, VPN setup. Just AppleID log-ins.

=====

Crazy predictions…

? iCloud replaces iTunes as sync point. iCloud gets a Lion/Windows based App that can access the “documents” of most Apps wirelessly.
    ? WiFi Sync and TimeMachine like backup to home iCloud or TimeCapsule for iOS
    ? Better system for file transfer between Apps on iOS. Still not a true File System but better then “Open In…”

Really Far out prediction…
    ? iOS 5 allows devices (especially WiFi only ones) to enter ad-hoc or “pairing” mode for quick burst file transfers. Handshake initiated by bluetooth to later be replaced by NFC or “ultra/subsonic”.

I wouldn’t call any of your predictions crazy, but we will just need to see how much Apple actually got done and is ready to deliver. 

I also agree if Apple simplifies the interface and does the right tie ups.  Time-capsule is perfect for those with a Home network and for others their is no reason they can’t do the same via the iCloud paid services.  For those who distrust remote storage of their personal lives, the data can live on the Time Capsule and then wireless synch via built in services, for things folks want to share.  Others without home computers and networks let’s say an iPad or iPhone owner without a PC can rely on Apple’s service to provide the same functionality.  Like Apple did with the web and Apps on iOS, I don’t see this as an all or nothing choice.

• Posted: 06 June 2011 01:58 PM #29

dlstarr7 - 06 June 2011 02:48 PM

- Lion - Last and greatest of the OSX branding title.

I agree with this part of your prediction. I think we’ve seen the last of the cats and perhaps the beginning of the end of OS X as we know it.

And finally, it is most dangerous to make a prediction just five minutes before the presentation, but what the heck. All this deep Twitter integration we’ve been hearing about? Doubt it. Now Apple might add Twitter integration. But they’re not going to tie themselves too closely to any one company or technology unless they control that company or technology.

We’ll soon see what we shall see. Integration? Maybe. Deep system wide integration? Doubtful.

EDIT: Well, it didn’t take long for me to be wrong. Although I’m still not understanding how much iOS 5 integrates into Twitter. Perhaps I didn’t believe this rumor simply because I didn’t understand the rumor. Apple’s doing nice things with Twitter - but it doesn’t seem as earth-shattering or important as some of the Pundits seemed to make it out to be.

[ Edited: 06 June 2011 04:19 PM by FalKirk ]      

Posted: 06 June 2011 08:36 PM #30

Treehouse - 06 June 2011 01:48 PM

Way at the the top of my wish list is the original iTools.  Mail, files, calendars for free or highly affordable.

Next is wireless syncing of apps and media to iOS devices.

Finally, better file access for apps to my Mac.  Wirelessly.

1 out of 3 for sure.  I’m not sure I like the entire implementation of the 2nd.  The 3rd is uncertain.

Call it 1.5 out of 3.