Semi-OT?  WWDC Predictions!

Posted: 06 June 2011 08:49 PM #31

Tetrachloride - 06 June 2011 11:36 PM
    Treehouse - 06 June 2011 01:48 PM

Way at the the top of my wish list is the original iTools.  Mail, files, calendars for free or highly affordable.

Next is wireless syncing of apps and media to iOS devices.

Finally, better file access for apps to my Mac.  Wirelessly.

1 out of 3 for sure.  I’m not sure I like the entire implementation of the 2nd.  The 3rd is uncertain.

Call it 1.5 out of 3.

Why do you say 1 of 3?

Maybe I’m confused but I think it’s 3 of 3 once developer use then new iOS APIs and update their apps.

Posted: 06 June 2011 08:58 PM #32

iOSWeekly - 05 June 2011 09:57 AM

Wild predictions:

- apple announces twitter acquisition and/or twitter becomes the default free mobile to mobile messaging app on iOS (txt messaging still an option).
    - subscription music/movie/tv service
    - new iPhone (the 4S or 5 or iPhone Air)

Hopeful predictions:

- icloud includes dropbox like file syncing & app syncing
    - FaceTime goes 3G capable
    - airport extreme & time capsule merge into one home server (media, updates & backups) type option
    - MacBook air update
    - lion priced at $29 through app store
    - multi-user accounts for iOS 5

Nessecary predictions

- improved iOS notifications, dear god please.
    - default basic user setting in Lion that disables user ability to install apps from the web (app store & physical media only)
    would kill off malware attempts.
    - iOS apps no longer require the whole app to be redownloaded when updating, instead just patches can be sent.

Wild predictions: 0 from 3 (but im pretty happy with the iMessages announcement - it was what I was hoping for in regards the twitter integration service taking over from SMS.

Hopeful predictions:

- icloud includes dropbox like file syncing & app syncing (bingo!)
    - FaceTime goes 3G capable (Bingo! - i think?)
    - airport extreme & time capsule merge into one home server (media, updates & backups) type option (no show)
    - MacBook air update (no show)
    - lion priced at $29 through app store (uber-Bingo!)
    - multi-user accounts for iOS 5 (Bingo?)

pretty succesful with those!

Necessary predictions

- improved iOS notifications, dear god please. (Bingo - Thank God!)
    - default basic user setting in Lion that disables user ability to install apps from the web (app store & physical media only)
    would kill off malware attempts. (no show as far as I can tell)
    - iOS apps no longer require the whole app to be redownloaded when updating, instead just patches can be sent. (BINGO! - delta downloads)

all in all a successful day in punditry!

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:01 PM #33

pats - 06 June 2011 11:49 PM
    Tetrachloride - 06 June 2011 11:36 PM

Way at the the top of my wish list is the original iTools.  Mail, files, calendars for free or highly affordable.

1 out of 3 for sure.  I’m not sure I like the entire implementation of the 2nd.  The 3rd is uncertain.

Call it 1.5 out of 3.

Why do you say 1 of 3?

Maybe I’m confused but I think it’s 3 of 3 once developer use then new iOS APIs and update their apps.

The devil is in the details.

Posted: 10 July 2011 12:59 PM #34

I’ve been on my iPad a lot this past few days.

Normally, I just use mail on my Mac.  I will activate it in some fashion on the iPad.  I may go the webmail route instead of Mail.

My need for file access to Mac is increasing.  I’ll have to investigate current and future iOS features.

Wireless syncing of media content.  Nice, but not a big deal for me at this time. Vital for long term.  I won’t upgrade to iOS until I’m sure its right for me.

Calendar handling can be very clumsy, both in iCal and iOS.

On the whole, each of the 3 wishes falls short, at least until the next time that I change my mind.