Week 23: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 05 June 2011 10:08 PM

I’m running a little behind on F.U.D. of the Week. Earlier today I thought to myself, “Well, there may not be a lot of FUD this week because of all the exciting good news coming out of WWDC.

Then reality hit me like a bucket of cold water.

Who am I kidding? No FUD? People will be critiquing Apple’s keynote and before Steve Jobs has even finished speaking, there will be three or four articles explaining how Apple is doomed because they’re closed, how Apple is doomed because they’re doing it (whatever “it” is) all wrong, that Apple is doomed because Steve Jobs looks terrible and he’ll be dead before nightfall, how Apple is doomed because everything Apple announced is already being done infinitely better by someone else, that Apple is doomed because, well, just because damn it!

Fasten your seat belts, my friends, the flood of FUD is about to begin.

• Posted: 05 June 2011 10:08 PM #1

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #23.

DEFINITION: F.U.D. of the Week is given to the most deserving reporter, pundit or analyst who shows us the way not to go, the path not to take, the road not to travel. These zeroes sacrifice their integrity, their honor, their objectivity and our sanity in a pathetic attempt to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt across the interwebs and give us a worserer understanding of the world in which we live in. Extra credit is awarded to them what ought to know better.

RULES:
    1) Post a link to the nominee?s Fouled Up material, along with the date of the source material. Including Fouled Up Dopey quotes is optional but highly encouraged.
    2) Only Fouled Up Dopey material posted during the pertinent week will be considered.
    3) AFB members get three votes each which they may bestow upon one or more lucky nominees as they will.
    4) Griping, moaning, whining and general pettiness is both condoned and expected.
    5) Voting will close each Saturday and be tabulated and announced each Sunday?if we feel like it.

Week 22 Winner: To Be Announced

• Posted: 06 June 2011 10:14 PM #2

Sir Harry Flashman - 07 June 2011 12:46 AM

I nominate two thus far

1. The multitude of FUD commentators on tech blogs.

2. Huffington Post Again “Apple’s iOS 5 Leaves Facebook In The Cold”

For the social media features in the new version of its iOS operating system, Apple, the world’s most valuable technology company, did not partner with Facebook, the world’s largest social networking site.

Instead, the Cupertino company opted to team up with Twitter, a micro-blogging service that has around half as many members as Facebook and remains far from attaining its mainstream status…

Experts suggest the Facebook snub stemmed from Apple?s desire to maintain control over the user experience and preserve its direct relationship with its customers, aims that clashed with Facebook’s own ambitions.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/06/apples-ios-5-leaves-faceb_n_872096.html

I will take Apple’s control of the user experience over Facebook’s. That interface is horrid.

Posted: 06 June 2011 10:18 PM #3

I was tempted to include our local CBS news affiliate. At noon they were reporting on the Keynote, but had no up-to-date info what so ever. They were winging it with copy from early this morning and what experts predict. They said that Steve Jobs announced iCloud when he had not yet done so.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 07 June 2011 09:05 AM #4

This morning on TV news, CBS’ Sandra Hughes said that

“ICloud will be free, for now…it will be available this Fall, no word on when we will next see Steve Jobs”

I love that “Free for now,” I don’t think Apple said or implied it was introductory. Also the snark about Steve Jobs.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 07 June 2011 11:54 AM #5

I don’t get it. They *did* leave Facebook in the cold compared to Twitter. How is that FUD?

Allow me to point out a difference between iOS and Android… The deep integration that Apple gave Twitter this time around had to be done by Apple. If a new service, let’s call it “WeinerShare”, comes along and takes the tech industry and 20-somethings by storm, there will be no deep integration of WeinerShare into iOS until Apple gets around to it. By contrast, the WeinerShare Corporation could write the services and hooks for Android necessary for it to get the same deep integration as Twitter, Facebook, and a mail client. If you’ve ever used an Android phone, think “Share menu”.

So while the joirnos probably don’t have any idea or background on the architectural issues, chances are they know someone with an Android phone or have one themselves, and might know how deeply integrated Twitter and Facebook and email and other services are on the devices, and look at the Apple preso and think, “but the other guys already do that really well”. Same could be said of the revolutionary drop down notifications.

• Posted: 07 June 2011 12:56 PM #6

Jobs has a LONG history of offering “free” this and thats and then reneging.

How’s your free subscription to MacUser going?

Get the latest updates to your free anti-virus app?

There’s nothing wrong with calling Jobs out on this one. I’m grateful that someone did. Steve needs to know that his reality distortion field wears off over time and that some people pay attention.

And since he does look like death warmed over, but refuses to publicly announce any transition plan, it’s not “snarky” to wonder about his willingness or ability to appear in public which is part of the duty of C level corporate officers.

Signature

Jack

"We’re surrounded, that simplifies our problem."

Gen. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

• Posted: 07 June 2011 02:21 PM #7

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 07 June 2011 02:54 PM

“WeinerShare”

I like this. Thanks, Bosco.

• Posted: 08 June 2011 12:34 AM #8

freejak - 07 June 2011 03:56 PM

Jobs has a LONG history of offering “free” this and thats and then reneging.

How’s your free subscription to MacUser going?

Get the latest updates to your free anti-virus app?

There’s nothing wrong with calling Jobs out on this one. I’m grateful that someone did. Steve needs to know that his reality distortion field wears off over time and that some people pay attention.

And since he does look like death warmed over, but refuses to publicly announce any transition plan, it’s not “snarky” to wonder about his willingness or ability to appear in public which is part of the duty of C level corporate officers.

It looks like we no longer have to catalog the FUD, now the FUD comes to us.

Freejak, are you mad or just mad (angry)? You’re calling Steve Jobs on free MacUser Magazines? A publication that’s been defunct for a decade? You’re whining about free anti-virus apps when there’s been no viruses on the Mac for almost a decade?

You’re calling Steve Jobs on this one? Then I’m calling you out. You’re a hater, plain and simple. If you’re holding on to gripes about MacUser subscriptions and unnecessary anti-virus software, then there’s no hope that you’re going to be bringing any objectivity to the subject. Go back to whatever sites you normally haunt. I’m sure that they will be more than happy to agree with your petty little slights and your warped sense of reality.

Steve Jobs is exerting a reality distortion field? Not so, my friend. Apple’s products and Apple the company are very, very real and no matter how hard you cover your ears and scream your denials, Apple is the number one company in tech (by over a hundred billion dollars in market cap) for a very good reason.

Posted: 08 June 2011 12:41 AM #9

freejak has 3 posts, all crap. Troll. Ignore.

Posted: 08 June 2011 12:51 AM #10

This article was dated Sat. 6/4/11, but I don’t think it was posted last week. By repeat FUDster Enderle via fool.com

Anticipating Steve Jobs’ Response to Windows 8 and Ultrabooks

Ultrabooks promise the benefits of the iPad and MacBook Air with prices closer to the iPad. These products are expected to be thin, light, and with battery life for light duty that rivals the iPad.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/06/04/anticipating-steve-jobs-response-to-windows-8-and-.aspx

First, the title is total BS. Windows 8 is vapor and Microsoft is trying to give the impression that they actually have a response to iOS on the iPad. Ultrabooks are slightly less vaporous and are clearly clones of the MB Air. Fat chance they’ll rival the iPad’s battery life or come close to it in price. Try beating MB Air’s price first.

In both instances, companies are responding to Apple, not the other way around. Meanwhile, Apple is on the cusp of releasing (within a few months) iOS 5, Lion and new MB Airs. They will have solid new products out long before the vapor even begins to solidify.

In 2012, they will get Windows 8 and touch capability…this is a big push from Microsoft to take back the future of the PC. Along with Intel, they are arguing strongly that the PC era isn’t dead; it was just taking a little break.

No one is saying the PC era is dead. It is simply fading in significance. Trucks are still around.

Among Apple’s disadvantages are that it’s increasingly becoming the biggest security target and that it suffers from channel limitations, particularly in Europe and Asia (Apple just isn’t in as many stores as PCs are).

Huh? iOS & OS X are bigger security targets than Android and Windows? Apple Stores are channel limitations? That must mean that HP & Dell PC sales are growing at double digit rates like the Mac, right?

• Posted: 08 June 2011 09:10 AM #11

He’s an oldie, but a goodie. I nominate John Dvorak for:

Apple Draws Huge Crowd for Dull Event

One of the odd things about the event was the fact that Apple does not seem to have the wherewith to stream the entire event live to the world…It seems like a lost opportunity to not stream these things live, but maybe Apple is worried about being ridiculed.

Do you know what “projection” is, John? it’s not Apple that needs to worry about being ridiculed.

Finally, after one hour and 20 minutes Steve Jobs comes back out to discuss the iCloud….Two quotes then followed: “Demote the PC and Mac to be just a device!” and “Move the digital hub to the cloud.”

Jobs then described a pretty generic description of cloud computing, saying that MobileMe is now a cloud app, although it seemed to be a cloud idea before. I’m not sure what is so new about any of this.

Of course you don’t understand, John. You’ve been living off your reputation since the eighties and haven’t had an original thought since.

How very, very sad and embarrassing it is to hear you say that you’re “not sure what is new about this”. You used to call yourself an analyst, John, and now you can’t analyze your way out of a wet paper bag.

So let me bring you up to speed, John.

What’s new about this is that unlike everything that’s gone before, it’s comprehensive - encompassing contacts, calendars, mail, applications, books storage, documents, photos and media.

What’s new about this is that it’s being done by Apple and done right so that “It just works”.

What’s new about this is that it’s going to change computing as we know it. We’re going to stop thinking about WHERE our data is located and start thinking about WHICH of our tools - whether it be the phone, the tablet or the desktop - is best suited for accessing and using that data.

What’s new about this is that Apple has re-defined “Cloud” computing. Now don’t beat yourself up for missing this one, John. I’ve read scores of articles covering the keynote and most all of them missed this too. Why? Because they’re stuck in the old paradigm established by Google - that the Cloud held your programs and your data and you did all of your work in the Cloud and accessed everything through a dumb terminal like a Chrome Notebook. That’s not Apple’s vision at all.

Google wants to use free applications to lure you into their cloud and have you provide them with access to all of your data so they can sell you stuff. Apple wants to sell you their stuff and then deliver your data to you wherever your are for use on whatever Apple device you choose to employ at that time. That’s a big difference, John. And I’m sorry that you and so many others like you claim to have missed it. Because it matters, John. it matters big time.

At the 1:45 p.m. mark, the Apple crew decided to demonstrate (some iCloud) feature, as if everyone in the world is an idiot who needed to be shown this obscure concept. Jeez, we get it.

Apparently, you don’t.

• Posted: 08 June 2011 09:58 AM #12

FalKirk - 08 June 2011 12:10 PM

He’s an oldie, but a goodie. I nominate John Dvorak for:

I second that nomination.  This fossil is ready for carbon dating…

Posted: 08 June 2011 10:39 AM #13

Drew Bear - 08 June 2011 03:41 AM

I disagree.  Although terse, the post above is not without merit.  At least 2 of his themes I have also advanced over the 3 or 10 years depending on the issue.

Posted: 08 June 2011 12:38 PM #14

Tetrachloride - 08 June 2011 01:39 PM
    Drew Bear - 08 June 2011 03:41 AM

I disagree.  Although terse, the post above is not without merit.  At least 2 of his themes I have also advanced over the 3 or 10 years depending on the issue.

Reneging on “free”? Can you think of one that isn’t decades old?

“reality distortion field”? That’s just another way of telling someone they’re stupid and can’t think for themselves.

“death warmed over”? Sick.

“ability to appear in public”? Just because he’s not touring the world making weekly public appearances does not mean he’s not effective as CEO. When Jobs talks, people listen. Schmidt and Buffett don’t have nearly the same impact because they’re constantly talking.

Posted: 09 June 2011 10:56 AM #15

Popular iPhone, Android Apps Are Putting Your Data At Risk: Probe

Computer security firm viaForensics recently found that top apps for Android and iPhone devices may leave customer data exposed to hackers.

“The Android applications of LinkedIn, Netflix and Foursquare stored user names and passwords in unencrypted form on their Google-powered devices,” noted the Wall Street Journal. “Storing that data in plain text violates a commonly accepted best practice in computer security.??On the other hand, the iPhone version of this app passed both username and password storage test, though it received a “warning” for its storage of additional app data, which may include the user’s e-mail, phone number or address.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/app-security-viaforensics-netflix-square_n_873349.html

So the headline on their home page that links to the story says popular iPhone and Android apps put users at risk. When you read the story it pretty much says that it is the Android apps that put the users at risk and the iPhone apps could be better.

Signature