Cupertino, fire up your copy machines

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:06 PM

Five features in iOS 5 that are already in Android.

Pay attention to the deep Twitter integration discussion. You know how Growl is such an amazing must-have 3rd party feature for Mac OS X? And how many, many developers have integrated it into their apps? All without Apple coordination. That’s what can happen on Android, and it’s really amazing what emerges so quickly. In Apple’s planned iOS community, there’s no opportunity for unplanned innovations.

When I show people my Android phone, there are a whole bunch of “you can’t do this on an iPhone” items to show. What can you show on iPhone that can’t be done (easily and inexpensively) on Android?

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:31 PM #1

When I show people my Android phone, there are a whole bunch of ?you can?t do this on an iPhone? items to show. What can you show on iPhone that can?t be done (easily and inexpensively) on Android?

Like all your examples. of course, because it is easy to sell the hyperbola.  you make a statement with zero facts and expect us to research your claim and attempt to prove you wrong.

Take it to a store and sit down for a one on one session to explain how to do things I want to do.

Take it to a store because it’s not working right and they hand me a new one.

Most folks use less then 10% of the features of the phones as is and the only one that matter are the one you know how to use.  Since I pay the same price for my iPhone as the Android device, I guess it becomes a matter of personal choice.

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:39 PM #2

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 07 June 2011 05:06 PM

What can you show on iPhone that can?t be done (easily and inexpensively) on Android?

Sell Apps? Make money for the parent corporation?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:40 PM #3

JDSoCal - 07 June 2011 05:39 PM
    Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 07 June 2011 05:06 PM

What can you show on iPhone that can?t be done (easily and inexpensively) on Android?

Sell Apps? Make money for the parent corporation?

nice :-D

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:43 PM #4

The biggest complaint that I hear from Droid users is the terrible battery life.

That alone is a huge issue for most folks.  The iPHone has a great battery life and I suspect it is the one factor that is keeping us from moving to the next step.

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:24 PM #5

For pats:

* Voice activated turn by turn directions with traffic. I hold down the search button for 2 seconds (Gingerbread) and say “Navigate to Red Robin in Costa Mesa”. A couple seconds later, it has figured out that I meant Red Robin in Santa Ana and is already speaking directions into my headset.

* Deep Twitter and facebook integration today. I take a picture, hit “Share”, can several ways to share the pic including GMail, choice of Twitter clients, facebook, my favorite mail client (K9 Mail), SMS, Bluetooth, etc.

* SMS messages spoken on receipt.

These are hardly parlor tricks.

• Posted: 07 June 2011 03:40 PM #6

Brad,

The following is a question, not a challenge.  Good on Android for showing Apple how to do notifications properly, BTW.  Then again Google had their copy machines working overtime copying the original iPhone.  Fact of life in this business.  Everyone copies everyone else.  Competition is good that way.

How many Android phone owners get all the latest and greatest features?  What about customers that have two year old phones?  Are they assured of getting the entire Android experience?

I have a two year old 3GS, and it will be upgradeable to iOS 5.0.  Too me there is a lot of value in the investment protection that provides.  It keeps me comfortable sticking with iOS, and to ignore the never ending feature leap frogging that goes on now.  I don’t want to be forced into a continuous upgrade cycle, because there is a must have feature that I cannot get with my current phone.

I undersand that at some point I will fall behind, but with my phone I now know that it is being kept current for at least 3 years, and that I get the new features on the same day that everyone else gets them.  No waiting for the carriers, manufacturer or anyone else.

What is the equivalent experience on Android, with a non-current model?

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:40 PM #7

Who cares?

Seriously, be happy with what you have if you like your Android phone, and folks with iPhones can be happy with what they have. Both sides borrow and copy from the other if it makes sense.

Why do you insist on trying to convert or one-up iPhone users?

Personally, I want to take my Android phone and run it over with a truck. It shuts off randomly (a real problem when you need to be available 24/7), becomes unresponsive just trying to back out of some tasks, Mail crashes with startling regularity, it randomly changes e-mail settings and fights when I want to switch from manual cell provider selection (when I travel overseas) to automatic when I return. Our company has several of the same phone (Galaxy S), and about half of them are causing problems.Next I get to try the Atrix and see if it is any better. Not holding out much hope.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:51 PM #8

@Lstream: A $100 subsidized Android phone today is way, way better than the Android phone you bought 2 years ago. Even in smartphones, most users are on an 18-24 month upgrade trajectory. Additionally, the installed base in both numbers and percentage of users who have a 2 year old Android phone is miniscule compared to iPhone users.

If you ask the question at the end of this year, corresponding with original Droid and Nexus One hitting their 2nd birthdays, I think you’ll see similar official support for Nexus One (from Ice Cream Sandwich) and very easy mod support for phones without locked bootloaders like OG Droid.

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:54 PM #9

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 07 June 2011 06:24 PM

For pats:

* Voice activated turn by turn directions with traffic. I hold down the search button for 2 seconds (Gingerbread) and say “Navigate to Red Robin in Costa Mesa”. A couple seconds later, it has figured out that I meant Red Robin in Santa Ana and is already speaking directions into my headset.

* Deep Twitter and facebook integration today. I take a picture, hit “Share”, can several ways to share the pic including GMail, choice of Twitter clients, facebook, my favorite mail client (K9 Mail), SMS, Bluetooth, etc.

* SMS messages spoken on receipt.

These are hardly parlor tricks.

Brad
    I will give you that the competition between Android and iOS is great for all, and Google is doing a bang up job catching up to iOS in some areas and leading the charge in others, but you always paint the picture how android is so much superior.  Last I checked my Navigon App on my iPhone was quite capable compared to my stand alone garmin.  Not a core Apple app, but don’t tell me you can’t get a navigation app.

As far as the integration of social networking, that’s not my thing, but I have no problem posting to Facebook via the iPhone,  so the deep integration is not a biggie to me.

As far as the release timeline are you basing your capabilities on what google released or what the carriers/handset manufacture delivered to the end user.  Last I checked a ton of Android handsets go out the door with what we would call outdated software.

• Posted: 07 June 2011 04:11 PM #10

If you ask the question at the end of this year, corresponding with original Droid and Nexus One hitting their 2nd birthdays, I think you?ll see similar official support for Nexus One (from Ice Cream Sandwich) and very easy mod support for phones without locked bootloaders like OG Droid.

Re the stuff in italics.  The average customer wants nothing to do with mods and worrying about locked bootloaders.  Caveats like that are a big drawback to many I believe.  I also agree with others - good for Google in raising the competitive bar.  It is good for iOS and its customers.  Some will switch, and lots won’t.  But the pressure Google is putting on Apple is a good thing. 

Apple and Google have two fundamentally different approaches to the mobile market.  I happen to believe that the Apple way is best for lots of customers who just want their stuff to work, with minimal hassle.  It is also easily the best model for profits which is what most of us here actually care about.  You clearly believe that Google has the best model.  I think there is room for both in terms of market share, but not likely in terms of a profitable business model.

Posted: 07 June 2011 06:00 PM #11

redge - 07 June 2011 07:19 PM

It isn’t like the person who started this thread is the only person to have noticed that yesterday’s presentation involves a certain amount of cannibalism or copying or whatever one wants to call it, including of Apple’s own app developers:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/07/technology/apple_dropbox_sparrow/?section=money_latest

http://blogs.reuters.com/anthony-derosa/2011/06/06/apples-event-causes-mass-disruption/

I think it is safe to say that many of the best software ideas are copies across the major vendors.  As an example here is an old patent of Apple’s defining the notification screen.  Now all the andriod users can claim the idea was stolen or the guy who built the jailbreak app for iOS can claim his original idea was stolen by Apple, but the truth is somewhere in between.  Apple under the current SJ applies for patents on about every idea so maybe Eric then Apple board member and Google CEO sees the patent App and said this would be great for Andriod?

Notification Screen Patent App

Posted: 07 June 2011 08:07 PM #12

I love how the mods here move threads that challenge the orthodox Apple view. Post a “FUD of the week”, it stays in AFB. Post something which actually tries to explain why AAPL is down $6 today, it gets moved. What a joke.