iOS 5 is like getting a new iPhone

Posted: 08 June 2011 01:11 AM

iOS 5 Works Just Fine On iPhone 3GS

“iOS 5 will be available as a free software update for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch (fourth generation) and iPod touch (third generation) this fall. Some features may not be available on all products.”

Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t spell out what, exactly, won’t work on the slower iPhone 3GS and third generation iPod touch. But some research from 9to5Mac and Banolka on YouTube gives us some ideas, at least in the beta.

What we know works:
    - Notification Center
    - Twitter Integration
    - Newsstand and Periodical Store
    - Grid Lines and Exposure/Brightness Settings in Camera app
    - Reading List in Safari

And what doesn’t (but it’s a short list, so far):
    - Image editing (red eye, cropping, magic wand)
    - Reader is missing (but there is some disagreement if it simply hasn’t been implemented yet)

What might be most difficult to implement for the 3GS is a feature that doesn’t even exist yet. We reported earlier today that Nuance/Siri Voice Features might still be included in iOS 5 and I wouldn’t be surprised if that particular feature was not enabled on the relatively underpowered 3GS.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-works-just-fine-on-iphone-3gs/

Posted: 08 June 2011 02:04 AM #1

Siri/Nuance will not magically find its way into iOS 5, I suspect.  If it happens at all this year, it’ll be reserved for A5-based iOS devices.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 June 2011 02:43 AM #2

I should have said it’s also like getting a new iPod touch or iPad 2. My favorite features:

? Reader and Reading List look fantastic! I particularly love the fact that it takes those annoying page-hit-inflating multipage/slideshow stories and puts them into a single scrollable page. This will make a huge difference in web browsing and news consumption.

? Camera: Turn on from lock-screen. Auto exposure & focus lock!! Pinch to zoom. Shutter button (hope that works on the iPod touch) Editing within camera.

? AirPlay Mirroring. This will tempt me to get an iPad 2 instead of waiting for iPad 3. This feature will sell a lot of ? TVs to the enterprise and education markets.

Here’s Apple’s iOS 5 promo video:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

• Posted: 08 June 2011 02:49 AM #3

Mav - 08 June 2011 05:04 AM

Siri/Nuance will not magically find its way into iOS 5, I suspect.  If it happens at all this year, it’ll be reserved for A5-based iOS devices.

I am reading that voice features are coming in iOS 5—they just didn’t demo it.

BTW, Apple mentioned a fall release but that doesn’t necessarily preclude an early launch sometime in August if things are ready.

Posted: 08 June 2011 03:24 AM #4

In fairness, “Instant Camera” is something Apple could and should have done in iOS 4, but because the feature omission had no material impact on iOS device sales there was no need to add it in yet.  Call me a cynic but I think Apple waited to add it as a nice new iOS 5 feature and bundle it with the awesome AE/AF lock.

Apple needed some time to cram Safari Reader into iOS, which I can understand.  The whole “Instapaper ripoff” point has been valid since Safari 5 on the desktop, so the delayed notice of the functionality similarity is a little amusing.

AirPlay Mirroring is gonna cause a lot of people to buy AppleTVs.  I assume iPhone 5 will support it too if battery drain isn’t too major.

[ Edited: 08 June 2011 03:30 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 June 2011 04:00 AM #5

I posted this earlier on a different thread.

Drew Bear - 08 June 2011 04:03 AM

iOS to get Siri-powered voice commands ahead of launch

Citing a source claimed to be reliable, tech blogger Robert Scoble says enhanced voice commands will be included in iOS 5 when it launches this fall…It has been rumored for quite some time that Apple would be making enhanced voice commands a major part of iOS 5, but Steve Jobs? WWDC keynote came and went with no mention of voice commands. Scoble claims that his source ? one who spoke accurately of the deep Twitter integration Apple showed off on Monday weeks ahead of WWDC ? said Apple?s voice command integration wasn?t ready to show off at the show.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/07/ios-to-get-siri-powered-voice-commands-ahead-of-launch/

Posted: 08 June 2011 04:22 AM #6

Here’s one YouTube demo of AirPlay Mirroring. Scroll to the 3:30 mark to see it play a game. It looks very good, hardly any lag. AirPlay already worked with photos and a few other built-in apps, but now it works across all apps. That means you can play games, browse the net, check email, etc. on a big screen. This will probably be the best internet-on-TV-screen experience yet. Demos & presentations will be much easier without having to use a cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxOD30DbVZw

Posted: 08 June 2011 10:34 AM #7

Mercel - 08 June 2011 05:49 AM
    Mav - 08 June 2011 05:04 AM

I am reading that voice features are coming in iOS 5—they just didn’t demo it.

BTW, Apple mentioned a fall release but that doesn’t necessarily preclude an early launch sometime in August if things are ready.

Interesting Article in Mac Stories on Apple’s datacenter based on analysis of the photos SJ showed

Robin Harris from ZDNet notes that those fine curves are made possible by Teredata data warehouse systems in the form of Extreme Data Appliance racks that are perfect not for storing data, but for crunching numbers. These machines are used to process analytical data such as ?business intelligence queries?, and ?geospatial analysis?.

This also would be quite useful for the kind of queries used for a SIRI/Nuance matchup

Apple?s data center is doing a lot more than serving content via iCloud. Notably, it?s doing a number of functions that aren?t dedicated to just storing your documents or sharing photos via Photo Stream. Apple is using these services internally, and our desire for instant gratification will have to wait as Apple implements their data into a new iOS function. Perhaps they just needed a bigger data warehouse for the sales department. Rumor has it that Apple could build a second data center in parallel to the one that?s already in Maiden ? what you?ve seen this weekend with iCloud isn?t their final offering, but just the very start of something big.

[ Edited: 08 June 2011 10:44 AM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 08 June 2011 10:36 AM #8

The problem I have with games on my iPad played on my HDTV is trying to play by touch. On a touch based game one needs to look at the iPad. If you watch the image on the TV you don’t know where to position your fingers/

Posted: 08 June 2011 11:12 AM #9

willrob - 08 June 2011 01:36 PM

The problem I have with games on my iPad played on my HDTV is trying to play by touch. On a touch based game one needs to look at the iPad. If you watch the image on the TV you don’t know where to position your fingers/

Looks like we need some haptic feedback like described in this patent at Appleinsider

Apple’s invention would provide at least two distinct tactile feedback points based on a user touching multiple points on a multi-touch surface. The application also describes a surface that would be able to detect the amount of pressure applied to the surface by the user, and would provide haptic feedback according to that pressure.

This would all be made possible through the use of haptic actuators located under the touch-sensitive screen, allowing users to feel sensations on their fingers on specific portions of the display. An iPhone or iPad could be divided into separate zones, and the display would feature a number of zones that would each have their own unique haptic feedback.

Posted: 08 June 2011 12:17 PM #10

willrob - 08 June 2011 01:36 PM

True. Some games will transfer to a big screen better than others. Those that require touching the screen in random locations won’t work well, but those that primarily involve moving the iDevice to control gameplay should work fine. Games like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja should also be ok.

It will be interesting to see what developers come up with. Will multiplayer games be able to simultaneously use iPhones or iPods as controllers?

• Posted: 08 June 2011 06:13 PM #11

Besides gaming the other thing that will be huge about mirroring via AirPlay is applications in education. This will allow teachers/professors to show content on a projector without being tethered and without a computer!

Posted: 08 June 2011 08:36 PM #12

Sounds liken1080p is enabled via iOS 5 for the A5 on the iPad 2. via 9 to 5

• Posted: 08 June 2011 10:53 PM #13

iOS 5 just made the Apple TV a very integral part of the ecosystem.  The ability to AirPlay anything on your iPad will open up the iPad app store to the apple tv.  I am unsure if apps will be able to block this function, but Hulu will now ne available via AirPlay, along with ABC Player.  I will be buying an apple tv for every tv in my home.  Think of how much entertainment can now come out of that $100 hockey puck.  Give me a wifi connection ($50 per month), HDTV antenna ($30),  apple tv ($100) and iPad ($500) and I can pretty much get all the content I need for $50 a month with an initial payment of $630.  This versus $110 per month for cable and Internet ($1320 per year).  Not to mention I can take my TV entertainment system with me on the road.

• Posted: 09 June 2011 12:03 PM #14

huskerrx - 09 June 2011 01:53 AM

iOS 5 just made the Apple TV a very integral part of the ecosystem.  The ability to AirPlay anything on your iPad will open up the iPad app store to the apple tv.

Indeed, I have a Mac mini hooked to my TV, but I just may end up buying an AppleTV too so it can act as a wireless adapter to send iPad apps to the TV.

• Posted: 09 June 2011 12:35 PM #15

While I agree with the previous commenters re: Airplay mirroring, it won’t be nearly as useful until businesses and schools (and hospitals?) reach the point where they have the infrastructure in place to take advantage of the technology. Most of your inner city public schools where this approach would be most beneficial just don’t have the resources to install flat panels tv’s, wireless networks, and issue iPads to the teachers in order for it to reach critical mass. Along those same lines, until parents start demanding the use of technology in the classroom, and are willing to help pay for the cost, i.e. local and state taxes, it will be a pipe dream for most schools.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are school districts that have the funding and the desire for these types of things, but in most cities, schools are worse than businesses in adoption of new technology.