Back to School Promo missing?

• Posted: 09 June 2011 03:48 PM

Am I missing something or is Apple late this year in advertising their Back to School promotion?  There were even rumors this year about a WWDC announcement or something giving $200 off the purchase of an iPad when you purchase any Mac. 

Anyone have any rumors or information on this?

• Posted: 09 June 2011 11:38 PM #1

Give it a few weeks on the back-to-school announcement. There’s usually a promotion but there’s no reason for an iPad promotion when supplies already constrained.

• Posted: 10 June 2011 12:11 AM #2

DawnTreader - 10 June 2011 02:38 AM

Give it a few weeks on the back-to-school announcement. There’s usually a promotion but there’s no reason for an iPad promotion when supplies already constrained.

I think Apple may announce it with a new MacBook / MacBook Air launch?

Posted: 10 June 2011 01:27 AM #3

I thought Apple always did a BTS promotion with ipods to clear channel for the new units?  :bugeyed:  please tell me if I am wrong on this. TY

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 10 June 2011 01:50 AM #4

It is a little late.  I did a quick check of past years and the latest was around June 5 or so.  Waiting for WWDC to end may have something to do with it.

There’s also the issue of iPod sales “stagnating” over time although iPod touch is doing well.  I’d say give it a couple more weeks before we start wondering if the program will be discontinued or something new will take its place.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 10 June 2011 02:31 AM #5

Mav - 10 June 2011 04:50 AM

It is a little late.  I did a quick check of past years and the latest was around June 5 or so.  Waiting for WWDC to end may have something to do with it.

There’s also the issue of iPod sales “stagnating” over time although iPod touch is doing well.  I’d say give it a couple more weeks before we start wondering if the program will be discontinued or something new will take its place.

It’s possible Apple could push out the BTS to July 1 if it feels it needs to cover some missing iPhone sales that typically pop in FQ4 2011.  Having said that, the added markets for iPhone 4 in 2011 as compared to 2010 should help allay concerns about iPhone 4 selling well in any YOY comparison for FQ4.

The average consumer is still very interested in getting the iPhone today, regardless if it’s flavor 4, 4S or 5.  We’re too close to the product cycles to appreciate the continuing demand for an iPhone nearing EOL.

Posted: 10 June 2011 04:33 AM #6

AT, please explain.  You including me in the “fear pool”?  And if so, why?

Also - this is the BTS topic.  Y’know, get a free iPod touch with a Mac.  Not sure where iPhone fits in.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:02 AM #7

I’m thinking the Back To School Promo would start with July’s release of Lion and new MacBook Airs.

• Posted: 10 June 2011 02:19 PM #8

Tetrachloride - 10 June 2011 02:02 PM

I’m thinking the Back To School Promo would start with July’s release of Lion and new MacBook Airs.

Good point.  With that news of 380,000 MacBook Airs being produced this month, perhaps they are waiting.  But what effect will it have on this quarter’s earnings as it has usually started in June?

Posted: 10 June 2011 02:33 PM #9

Mikedmvp - 10 June 2011 05:19 PM
    Tetrachloride - 10 June 2011 02:02 PM

Good point.  With that news of 380,000 MacBook Airs being produced this month, perhaps they are waiting.  But what effect will it have on this quarter’s earnings as it has usually started in June?

I also think we will see it with new MacBook Airs and possibly a new white MacBook, their is no reason to not upgrade white assuming it isn’t discontinued.  Apple should be rolling out Sandy Bridge on all the SKU this month or next I would think.

Posted: 14 June 2011 03:29 AM #10

I like the $ 100 iTunes card more.  Not everyone would like an iPod or a discount on an iPhone.  But they will like iTunes content.    So, user satisfaction is higher.

Financially, this may be more profitable.  But the user satisfaction is more important.

Posted: 14 June 2011 04:28 AM #11

I always wondered what kind of profit hit Apple took by giving a $200-ish iPod touch discount/freebie when college students bought a Mac.

I think the $100 or so iTunes gift card, if that’s what it turns out to be, is a great idea.  Apple recognizes its growing user base and this provides more universal value.  Maybe the carrot isn’t so attractive re: intending Mac buyers who want a sweet pocket computer as part of the deal, and the “smaller” discount may disappoint some, but with the iTunes gift card, you don’t need to want an iPod touch to get value out of it.  Buy media.  Buy apps for iOS.  Buy apps for Mac.  Heck, buy Mac OS X updates in the future!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 June 2011 12:20 PM #12

Mav - 14 June 2011 07:28 AM

I always wondered what kind of profit hit Apple took by giving a $200-ish iPod touch discount/freebie when college students bought a Mac.

Whatever “hit” they sustained, I doubt it made any notable dent in Apple’s cash stash of, what, now >$60B?

A serious, glitzy, is-this-for-real carrot like a free iPod builds buyer enthusiasm, loyalty, and priceless word-of-mouth marketing. Those students are much more likely to stick with Mac as adults. They’ll want them in their work. And as they begin recombining DNA, their babies will have cribs outfitted with the Holographic Screen SurroundSound iPad iBaby System.

Apple’s building their market base 5-10-20 years down the road, while most competitors are still fumbling around with their pants down, pleading with buyers to be patient, to come back in a few months, or next year, as predicted by the Mayan calendar wink to look at some sort of tablet they’ll eventually have available.

Speaking of profit hits: Many among the competition will scrounge for nickles and dimes of profit as they race toward the bottom line with their PlastiCrapPads, while Apple still takes in robust profits?because they’ve built overall trust, fun, excitement and loyalty.

[ Edited: 14 June 2011 12:24 PM by cb50dc ]      
  • Posted: 14 June 2011 12:56 PM #13

An iTunes gift card is less versatile than an Apple Gift Card. Sure, a $100 worth of content is a good deal, but applying that amount to a new iPod or more RAM for the new MacBook would appeal to me more.

Can we now assume the next iPod refresh will come later, following the iPhone 5, so as not to leak hardware improvements?

• Posted: 14 June 2011 02:57 PM #14

Speaking of Back-to-school, all of the new college students I know are getting Macs, no matter what. So maybe Apple doesn’t feel the need to have much of a promotion. What with their growth compared to the decline in the overall market, why should they bother?

Microsoft on the other hand seems desperate with their back-to-school promo: Buy a $700+ (USD) Windows 7 computer, get a FREE X-Box 360.

Posted: 14 June 2011 03:04 PM #15

With the advent of the app store this promo makes a lot of sense. Nice to see Apple easing out of the ipod/itouch promo biz. I think they see the writing on the wall re those products. The iphone/ipad is the future along with the app store.