New MacBook Airs this Week?

• Posted: 12 June 2011 01:22 AM

MacRumors, among other sites, is reporting the possibility of new MacBook Airs this week.  This would be earlier than I expected, since others have picked up on Apple orders for 380k - 400k MBA’s for June production.

We will see soon enough.  For myself, I welcome the new processor and HOPE for the return of a backlit keyboard.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/

Posted: 12 June 2011 01:33 AM #1

Hedge much, 9to5?

Apple updating Apple Store displays on Tuesday night; new product launch on Wednesday?

We have since heard from a source that there are still some current generation MacBook Airs shipping to retail stores across the world into the next couple of weeks. Because of our own independent information, we doubt a new MacBook Air launch for Wednesday. It does make sense though based on the scheduled retail overnight.

Additionally, sources tell 9to5Mac that Tuesday?s overnight may be related to Apple removing parts of their rumored-be-disappearing software wall. At this point, we are unsure of what is exactly going down Wednesday. It could be new MacBook Airs, Mac minis, Mac Pros, Servers, AirPorts, Time Capsules, or absolutely nothing.

http://www.9to5mac.com/71691/apple-updating-apple-store-displays-on-tuesday-night-new-product-launch-on-wednesday/

• Posted: 12 June 2011 03:29 AM #2

If it’s Wednesday, it may be the back-to-school event, as Apple typically uses Tuesday to launch new product.

Posted: 12 June 2011 04:51 AM #3

MBA needs Thunderbolt.

Apple should make it happen soon.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 June 2011 01:28 PM #4

The original Twitter poster now says it will be both new Macbook Airs and Back To School.

• Posted: 12 June 2011 03:00 PM #5

Great.

I just gave up on the Air update, and ordered a nice MBP15 with high res screen instead. Oh well, I will get the Air next time around in a year or two.

• Posted: 12 June 2011 03:05 PM #6

Mav - 12 June 2011 07:51 AM

MBA needs Thunderbolt.

Apple should make it happen soon.

Are you doing anything with Thunderbolt at the moment?  Display connection?

Posted: 12 June 2011 03:26 PM #7

I don’t have a Thunderbolt Mac but it’s an important and for now _exclusive_ technology for Apple.

When you mention displays, I do wonder when Macs will get AirPlay Mirroring.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 June 2011 03:50 PM #8

Mav - 12 June 2011 06:26 PM

I don’t have a Thunderbolt Mac but it’s an important and for now _exclusive_ technology for Apple.

When you mention displays, I do wonder when Macs will get AirPlay Mirroring.

Erica Sadun wrote some AirPlay utilities for the Mac if you want to play around on the Mac

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

Posted: 12 June 2011 06:30 PM #9

This is one reason I don’t get Twitter. The “news” stream must be hugely erratic. Sometimes it’s right, but often it’s wrong.

Here’s the latest from the tweeter:

Chronic originally believed his sources were referring to new MacBook Air models but has since stated the original information was off ? it?s for unlocked iPhones.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/12/unlocked-iphones-finally-coming-apple-stores-wednesday/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheIphoneBlog+(TiPb:+iPhone,+iPad,+iPod)&utm_content=Twitter

• Posted: 12 June 2011 10:23 PM #10

Unique - 12 June 2011 07:26 PM

Lol, a kid on twitter creating all this non sense. Pathetic.

Kids. What can we do with ‘em?  LOL

MacRumors and AppleInsider had a slow “news” day.  It happens…

Posted: 13 June 2011 09:23 PM #11

Chronic.  Liar?  Attention-seeker?

[EDIT:  Preserved for posterity, because he was in fact absolutely correct about the unlocked iPhones deal.  Now, let me find a good hat to munch on…nom nom nom]

[ Edited: 14 June 2011 05:18 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 June 2011 03:43 AM #12

Mav - 14 June 2011 12:23 AM

Chronic.  Liar?  Attention-seeker?

This is from someone who I vaguely recall as being not that accurate about Apple stuff either.

Unlocked iPhones: Why Apple Won’t Do It

For all those who believe Apple will unveil four unlocked iPhones to the U.S. market on Wednesday, I have news for you: Apple won’t do it.

And who is this Chronic Wire, anyway? He’s a guy who’s posted a grand total of 12 tweets since June 6 (of this year). He may be working the stock room at the local Best Buy (this is how Boy Genius Report gets most of its “scoops”?from well-placed blabbers at your garden-variety brick and mortar consumer electronic store). It is not clear to me if this is one of BGR’s usual sources or simply someone who, judging by his tweets, has access to the iOS 5 developer build and is looking to build a bit of buzz for himself.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386860,00.asp

Posted: 14 June 2011 04:21 AM #13

Drew - I’d like some clarification as to what you meant by that line. 

The “Chronic” I refer to - MacRumors - link here.

[EDIT:  Busy editing tonight.  As I’ve noted, the dude nailed it!]

[ Edited: 14 June 2011 05:19 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 June 2011 11:03 AM #14

Mav - 14 June 2011 07:21 AM

[EDIT:  Busy editing tonight.  As I’ve noted, the dude nailed it!]

Mav, we’re talking about the same guy. The PC mag author, Ulanoff, was pointing out Chronic’s rookie twitter status as part of his argument against unlocked iPhones. That somewhat supported your “attention-seeker” characterization. But Ulanoff himself is often wrong about Apple predictions, so his opinion is questionable.

So for head to head opinions, it’s Chronic 1 - Ulanoff 0.

Edited to remove bold text.

[ Edited: 14 June 2011 03:30 PM by Drew Bear ]      
  • Posted: 14 June 2011 03:19 PM #15

Mav - 14 June 2011 07:21 AM

EDIT:  Busy editing tonight.  As I’ve noted, the dude nailed it!]

This is part of the frustration in living in the internet age. There was every reason to deride “Chronic” for his totally unsupported rumors and even more reason to chide the blogasphere for picking up his story and promulgating it…

...and then he nails it!

There’s simply no knowing what’s real and what’s not real on the internet. There used to be a saying that where there’s smoke, there’s fire. But on the Internet, there is nothing BUT smoke - and it helps to obscure where the actual fire is.