New MacBook Airs this Week?

• Posted: 28 June 2011 12:14 PM #16

Apple releases $49 Apple Thunderbolt cable

Thunderbolt is coming to the MacBook Air. And soon.

Posted: 28 June 2011 12:47 PM #17

FalKirk - 28 June 2011 03:14 PM

Apple releases $49 Apple Thunderbolt cable

Thunderbolt is coming to the MacBook Air. And soon.

A dozen commenters from the MacDailyNews gallery say the price is way too steep.  I would agree it doesn’t encourage early adoption of t-bolt technology.

Posted: 28 June 2011 01:21 PM #18

The price is ridiculous. When I had to buy a cable to run from my MBP to my Air it cost me $30 for a six inch long “cable”. Hang em high.  tongue laugh I don’t even care to hear about initial start-up cost’s for Apple to build this kind of stuff. Bottom line is it should be included with a new computer purchase. :-x

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 28 June 2011 02:16 PM #19

What’s that?  Apple?  Bundling cables with any purchase that isn’t a cable to power the iProduct?

Not so much.  LOL  Be thankful Apple still provides headphones for the iPod touch and iPhone.  wink

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 July 2011 08:10 PM #20

Any new updates on the Macbook Airs?  Last I heard, someone was claiming this Thursday, but now I’m guessing that it isn’t happening until next week.  Anyone have any insight?

Posted: 12 July 2011 10:17 PM #21

Mikedmvp - 12 July 2011 11:10 PM

Any new updates on the Macbook Airs?  Last I heard, someone was claiming this Thursday, but now I’m guessing that it isn’t happening until next week.  Anyone have any insight?

One possible scenario is Lion on Friday and the MBA either next Tues (unlikely due to EC) or more likely next Thursday.

cheers
        JohnG

• Posted: 12 July 2011 11:28 PM #22

Unique - 13 July 2011 02:23 AM

I wish they would make a 15” Macbook Air.

It could be a surprise with the 11” and 13”.  But it’s coming at some point, more likely in Oct./Nov. is my expectation. 

Kiss the SuperDrive goodbye.  We don’t need you anymore (at least I don’t).

Posted: 12 July 2011 11:29 PM #23

Unique - 13 July 2011 02:23 AM

I wish they would make a 15” Macbook Air.

+1

Posted: 29 July 2011 04:44 PM #24

I still think the MBAs are overpriced and underspec’d, though of course I understand why - the miniaturization cost, flash memory (actually, that’s kind of a weak excuse because Apple has the highest bargaining power of any flash memory buyer in the history of the universe, so those flash memory margins must be ridiculous), TDP/power constraints.  What matters is that the OS is tuned well even for less-than-impressive GPUs, and people are addicted to the combo of ultraportability and everyday speed/responsiveness.

I guess this goes to show that Apple really is actively depriving the competition of that profit umbrella Oppenheimer’s mentioned in some previous CCs.

[ Edited: 29 July 2011 05:05 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 04:57 PM #25

Mav - 29 July 2011 07:44 PM

I still think the MBAs are overpriced and underspec’d, though of course I understand why - the miniaturization cost, flash memory (actually, that’s kind of a weak excuse because Apple has the highest bargaining power of any flash memory buyer in the history of the universe, so those flash memory margins must be ridiculous) TDP/power constraints.  The main thing is that the OS is tuned well even for less-than-impressive GPUs, the people are addicted to the combo of ultraportability and everyday speed/responsiveness.

I guess this goes to show that Apple really is actively depriving the competition of that profit umbrella Oppenheimer’s mentioned in some previous CCs.

It’s the inverse of cars in some respect.  The hot rod crowd wanted to know how fast one could get something to go.  The answer was always…,I don’t know…,how much do you have to spend?
    With electronics it’s always been how small and light can something be made…,  the answers the same.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 12 August 2011 06:02 PM #26

Mav - 29 July 2011 07:44 PM

... Apple really is actively depriving the competition of that profit umbrella Oppenheimer’s mentioned in some previous CCs.

From John Gruber;

Matching the MacBook Air?s $999 Price

DigiTimes:

The sub-US$999 target price could be sustained if Intel is willing to lower its CPU prices and hand out a subsidy of US$100 per unit for marketing efforts, the sources argued.

PC makers are struggling to match Apple?s prices ? and Apple had industry-leading profit margins.

From Digitimes;

Lack of metal chassis capacity pushing ultrabook vendors to adopt fiberglass

Intel and notebook brand vendors have recently been aggressively searching for new chassis materials as capacity for magnesium-aluminum chassis, which is the most popular choice for ultrabook designs, is mostly fully loaded. Fiberglass chassis has recently appeared as the new top choice among vendors, according to sources from chassis players.

Since ultrabooks are required to only have a thickness of less than 0.8-inch, the chassis will need to be tough in order to sustain pressure and protect internal components and the panel. But as the production of unibody-based magnesium-aluminum chassis requires CNC lathes, capacity is significantly limited.

As the cost of purchasing a CNC lathe is rather expensive, it has created a high threshold for competitors to join. Currently, Taiwan-based Catcher Technology and Foxconn Technology both have more than 10,000 CNC lathes for metal chassis production.

Since the two players are already the suppliers of Apple, ultrabook players will need to compete for the remaining capacity from the two firms, leaving players unable to fully ship enough devices. With RHCM-based fiberglass becoming a new choice, there are already three brand vendors deciding to adopt fiberglass for their ultrabooks.

Taiwan-based fiberglass chassis maker Mitac Precision pointed out that a fiberglass chassis is produced through RHCM process and combined with plastic to allow a toughness and price competitive against magnesium-aluminum chassis. Since each segment of a fiberglass chassis is US$5-10 cheaper than a magnesium-aluminum one, the cost of a fiberglass-based notebook will be US$20 cheaper than magnesium-aluminum models with the end market price to be US$50-100 cheaper, the company noted.

Mitac Precision’s fiberglass production yield rate is currently more than 90% with monthly shipments of 4.5 million units. If Intel’s progress in ultrabooks goes smoothly, Mitac Precision is expected to benefit from the business opportunity.

[ Edited: 12 August 2011 06:07 PM by K447 ]