HP and the WebOS

• Posted: 12 August 2011 02:30 PM #61

Drew Bear - 12 August 2011 04:57 PM

I know we speculated about iPhone vs iPad revenue in some other thread. I think 2013-14 was the earliest anyone thought iPad could possibly overtake iPhone by that measure.

The people in this forum are rightfully most interested in how much money the iPhone or the iPad may bring in. I’m more interested in each devices’ long term impact on both Apple and Society as a whole.

The iPhone is a runaway success, but it faces stiff competition and it is still only a tiny (5 to 6%) portion of the huge phone category.

John Gruber has stated several times that, with the iPad, Apple is in position to be both the Microsoft and the Intel of the coming wave of tablets. If he’s right - and I’ve become a believer - then in the long term, the iPad could turn Apple into a company the size and scope of which we’ve never seen in our lifetimes.

Posted: 12 August 2011 03:07 PM #62

FalKirk - 12 August 2011 05:30 PM

The people in this forum are rightfully most interested in how much money the iPhone or the iPad may bring in. I’m more interested in each devices’ long term impact on both Apple and Society as a whole.

The iPhone is a runaway success, but it faces stiff competition and it is still only a tiny (5 to 6%) portion of the huge phone category.

John Gruber has stated several times that, with the iPad, Apple is in position to be both the Microsoft and the Intel of the coming wave of tablets. If he’s right - and I’ve become a believer - then in the long term, the iPad could turn Apple into a company the size and scope of which we’ve never seen in our lifetimes.

FalKirk, I’m 99% in agreement with you. If the iPhone is 5% of the phone market, iPad is less than 5% of the computer market. They’re both tiny in terms of unit sales in their respective markets. That’s exactly why their potential is so huge.

Yes, the iPad could conquer the personal computing world in a WinTel fashion. But don’t you think the iPhone has a chance in conquering the cell phone world in a Nokia-like fashion? Is not 100 million iPhones per quarter within the realm of possibility this decade?

In the ill-named iPhone mini thread you just acknowledged that a less expensive, but fully functional iPhone is an imminent possibility. Imagine the impact on society from that device.

• Posted: 12 August 2011 04:16 PM #63

Drew Bear - 12 August 2011 06:07 PM

Yes, the iPad could conquer the personal computing world in a WinTel fashion. But don’t you think the iPhone has a chance in conquering the cell phone world in a Nokia-like fashion? Is not 100 million iPhones per quarter within the realm of possibility this decade?

You’re quite right. In some ways, it’s a silly debate. Whatever’s going to happen will happen and whichever way it happens, Apple will profit. However, I still like debating the issue. Each intellectual parry and thrust helps clear away the dross and sharpen the focus on the issues that are most important.

I think I could argue as persuasively that the App Phone is the key to the future. The combination of the pocket computer with access to the Internet’s knowledge base fulfill’s the fantasies of many a science fiction writer. Steve Jobs labeled the Macintosh the computer for the rest of us and I’ve labeled the iPad the computer for the rest of the world, but perhaps the iPhone should hold that title. Small, portable, powerful. The only adjective missing is “inexpensive”. And to mind mind the part of the phone that is most expensive is access to over the air data being overall far more costly than access to the hardware portion of the equation.

Yes, the smart phone is the poor man’s computer. And we’re all richer for it.