AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:15 AM #31

Disregard my previous post about the low of the week.

I don’t understand this market today.

But I still think we will be green tomorrow.

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:19 AM #32

Eric Landstrom - 20 June 2011 02:08 PM
    Nagrani - 20 June 2011 02:00 PM

I just don’t get it

Companies whose stocks are rotated out of by managers rebalancing their portfolios are then shorted. The result is all to the downside.

You’re market analysis has been right on the last few months.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:19 AM #33

WTF is happening???? Not long ago i saw targets of 350-450-550…and all we do is going down.

310.68 as i type: this is NOT funny anymore.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:20 AM #34

You would think someone out there knows something the way this stock is falling.  There has been NOTHING newsworthy to cause this drop.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:22 AM #35

Linkedin is also very much down…is it tech / web related?

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:25 AM #36

MacB - 20 June 2011 02:22 PM

Linkedin is also very much down…is it tech / web related?

Its mostly aapl and nok.

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:25 AM #37

Gtrplyr - 20 June 2011 02:20 PM

You would think someone out there knows something the way this stock is falling.  There has been NOTHING newsworthy to cause this drop.

I agree.

Like I said we are punished with RIMM.  Eric is partially right as some fund managers just simply move out of sectors and we get dragged down as the hedge boys take advantage and add further damage.

This is why I feel a 20% cushion while on margin would be great to have.  For me we need to hit 500.  But once we get back over 329 my margin call will go away.  However I will be forced to sell before then.

I am just gals the overall market is not down 2.5%.  That is the only silver lining.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:26 AM #38

Retail investors being squuezed to death by the big money.  Weak hands folding.  You are right, there is nothing to cause this selloff other thatn big boys trying to drive price down in advance of next earnings announcement.  Once stock broke the 200 MA, this was bound to happen.  Too many technical traders out there.  Stock very damaged technically, so fundamentals make no difference until institutional buyers decide that they do again.  The Fasy Money crew has said 280-290 is where they would get really interested and it looked as though this will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you can hang on until earnings, then I think you will be fine because after that it should be straight up for the rest fo the year.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:26 AM #39

Retail investors being squeezed to death by the big money.  Weak hands folding.  You are right, there is nothing to cause this selloff other thatn big boys trying to drive price down in advance of next earnings announcement.  Once stock broke the 200 MA, this was bound to happen.  Too many technical traders out there.  Stock very damaged technically, so fundamentals make no difference until institutional buyers decide that they do again.  The Fasy Money crew has said 280-290 is where they would get really interested and it looked as though this will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you can hang on until earnings, then I think you will be fine because after that it should be straight up for the rest fo the year.

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:26 AM #40

I really think mm are preparing for the worst and de-risking from their high beta stocks.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:29 AM #41

I think it’s time to wise up and see that this stock is a manipulator’s toy, to be played with as required.

I would have thought that backing Apple’s percentage of the Nasdaq down would have made it harder / at least less worthwhile to attack Apple. I see that I was wrong.

There were lots of rumors of Apple to 280. Looks like it is slowly being marched down there.

I wonder who has the money and the interest to do this and what their reasons are?

Signature

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:32 AM #42

Could this be the catalyst for today’s decline?

From http://gigaom.com/2011/06/19/revealed-facebook?s-music-plans-involve-spotify-others/

Revealed: Facebook?s music plans involve Spotify, others

Facebook Music Features

Whether it is Pandora, Turntable.fm, SoundCloud or iTunes, listening to music, sharing music and then talking about is inherently a social activity and it makes perfect sense for Facebook to encourage this social behavior. Also, as we become an always-connected society, the idea of downloading and buying music is slowly giving way to the idea of ?subscribing? to a giant library of music.

Facebook?s music plans are aimed at capitalizing on just such a future. Here is what Facebook is planning to launch as part of its music efforts, based on pitches it has made to some of the music services:

In the left-hand column, right where Facebook lists Photos, Friends, Places, Groups, Deals, Pages, and Games, you will find a new tab called Music. This tab will show up if a user has listened to music with one of Facebook?s partner music services.
      Clicking on this new tab will open a page called Music Dashboard.

The Persistent Playback/Pause Button at the bottom of the Facebook page, where currently you have the chat icon. This button essentially is like a quick snapshot and controller of the music experience. Mouse over it and you can see what is playing on whatever service you might be logged into using Facebook Connect. It also allows you to play or pause a track once you discover it on Facebook. It is also linked to the play buttons in the news feed.
      A page with snapshot of all the songs you have listened to on any specific service and also your top tracks and the number of times you have listened to those tracks.

The Music Dashboard will have the following features:

Music Notifications: here you have notifications that show if your friends have listened to songs recommended by you or on your profile.
      Recommended Songs: You can get a list of songs heard and recommended by your friends. You can also play them back by clicking the play icon.
      Top Songs from friends.
      Top Albums from friends, with cover art.
      Recent listens from your friends.
      In the upper-right corner there will be a ?happening now? ticker that shows what is happening in your social and musical universe, including songs that your friends are playing. There is some talk that this ?Happening Now ticker? would show-up all throughout your music experience and not just on the music dashboard.

Facebook?s push for integrating deeply with music services is understandable. The company wants everyone to keep coming back to their website ? if they don?t, then they cannot sell the ads they need to keep those revenues growing.

Music Equals Social Commerce

In addition, this could also be the start of a new kind of social-powered e-commerce business, something I discussed in one of my Om Says newsletters ? So what comes after Social Commerce.

When Apple launched its Ping service, I was pretty excited by the idea of that service and what it meant for the future of commerce. Here is what I wrote then:

This click-and-go-somewhere-to-download model of affiliate links can never match a unified experience. Amazon, for example, encourages bloggers and others to link to things they like and then get a piece of the action. This separates social from commerce and treats them as two discrete activities. On the post-Facebook Internet, I don?t think anyone can afford to keep these two actions distinct.

Ping, from what little I saw during Steve Jobs? demo, allows a similar level of social interaction. It can tell me who my friends think are cool and the top 10 favorites of people in my social graph. Some of my friends are famous deejays. Others just have eclectic musical tastes. They can collectively sift through over 10 million songs and help with the discovery of music.

Unfortunately, Apple never did things right with Ping and it seems Facebook is on its way to becoming a worthy challenger ? without even having to deal with the record labels.

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:37 AM #43

chiefthinker - 20 June 2011 02:32 PM

Could this be the catalyst for today’s decline?

Unfortunately, Apple never did things right with Ping and it seems Facebook is on its way to becoming a worthy challenger ? without even having to deal with the record labels.

Apple had this integration built-in to ping at launch. Then spent 10 or so hours ripping it out when Facebook refused to let Apple use the Apis in the way they were using them.

This sounds like what Ping was meant to be. But Facebook said no.

Signature

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:38 AM #44

rattyuk - 20 June 2011 02:29 PM

There were lots of rumors of Apple to 280. Looks like it is slowly being marched down there.

I wonder who has the money and the interest to do this and what their reasons are?

^  A real conundrum:  Who has the money and how does it work for them?

• Posted: 20 June 2011 11:41 AM #45

rattyuk - 20 June 2011 02:29 PM

I think it’s time to wise up and see that this stock is a manipulator’s toy, to be played with as required.

I would have thought that backing Apple’s percentage of the Nasdaq down would have made it harder / at least less worthwhile to attack Apple. I see that I was wrong.

Well Apple is doing this to themselves. iphone 5 delay ? WHY !!! The market just sent a BIG FU to Apple management. Kinda convenient since most of the heads have liquidated their position prior to jumping ship.