The Future of RIMM

Posted: 20 December 2011 11:09 PM #151

Mav - 21 December 2011 02:58 AM

Maybe Apple should get in line to buy or license RIMM’s IP at a bargain price.

Sheesh, this is hard to watch.

CdnPhoto, I’m getting this dangerous inclination to short RIMM myself.  But at this extreme price level, anything can happen.  Proceed with caution if you place any kind of bet on RIMM in _any_ direction.

Thanks Mav. I might take out a small short position.

• Posted: 21 December 2011 10:36 AM #152

RIMM up 10% out of the gate. What’s the word?

Posted: 21 December 2011 10:42 AM #153

This is bizarre!  I can’t seem to trade RIMM options right now!

Oh well…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 21 December 2011 11:10 AM #154

Thanks for nothing, nameless trading platform.

Well, I bought in, albeit not at the ideal price.  Let’s see what happens with my small side bet.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 22 December 2011 12:13 AM #155

While it might seem bizarre to some the RIM jumped on this news, it does make some sense. If there was more than one company interested at $30, you’d have to think they are even more interesting at $13. The fact that there is more than one company gives some credence to the idea it won’t fall too much as an acquisitor knows they can’t wait forever for a lower price with another shark lurking. The other fact here is that Microsoft was usually seen as the most likely to buy RIM but this had been given up for lost after the Nokia arrangement was made. Showing that Mr Softie is still interested even after the Nokia deal gives a lot more hope for RIM to have a real suitor.

The Amazon angle was something I had discussed with friends so it was interesting to see it come out as a reality. Giving RIM real access to all that content and getting Amazon further into the phone/tablet/world market/enterprise business makes sense for them too.

The fact that the RIM CEOs rebuffed these inquiries is mindboggling and makes you wonder how these guys have convinced the board that they have what it takes to turn this company around. I have long thought it was already too late, but the recent news that their QNX phone won’t arrive until late 2012 makes me think the next couple of quarters will be horrendous. The RIM faithful will defer new purchases until then, and those teetering on the edge will now move to Android or iOS. It seems to me that we get to see the Osborne effect again.

Still, while I’ve enjoyed some puts on the way down, I think RIM is a ‘no touch’ here. The possibility of a buyout and the fact that they are trading at 3 times earnings make me think it’s too risky. Maybe a quick trade to rebound off the 10% day, but this one feels like a better choice to grab some popcorn and watch the horror show.

Posted: 22 December 2011 12:45 PM #156

Mav - 21 December 2011 03:10 PM

Thanks for nothing, nameless trading platform.

Well, I bought in, albeit not at the ideal price.  Let’s see what happens with my small side bet.

Me too (Jan Puts) out this morning for dinner money grin

Posted: 22 December 2011 01:36 PM #157

Did the co-CEOs lie?

RIM just can’t get its act together.

The company’s best hope for a recovery, its next-generation BlackBerry 10 platform, has been pushed back to late next year. While executives blamed the later release of a new chip, Boy Genius Report said the real reason for the delay is the inability for RIM to get its core email and messenger services on the new platform.

“RIM is simply pushing this out as long as they can for one reason, they don’t have a working product yet,” the blog said, citing an anonymous source.

If this was true, would this count as fraud?

Posted: 23 March 2012 04:21 PM #158

RIM to give out prototype BlackBerry device

. REUTERS/Fabrizio BenschTORONTO (Reuters) - Research In Motion plans to give developers a prototype BlackBerry 10 device to help them design applications for future smartphones that will run on a modified version of the software running RIM’s poor-selling PlayBook tablet.

The Canadian company made clear that the device was not a commercial BlackBerry 10 device, the first of which are due to launch later this year, but would help create excitement among developers for its overhauled operating system.

“It’s not the final hardware or OS - it’s a device to help developers get started with designing for what’s coming,” RIM’s social media manager Alex Kinsella said.

RIM has struggled to match the massive app libraries available on Apple (NasdaqGS:AAPL - NewsAAPL.O) products and Google’s Android (NasdaqGS:GOOG - NewsGOOG.O) platform, used by a range of handset makers including Samsung.

It is starting afresh with PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, which use a completely different operating system than RIM’s legacy BlackBerry smartphones.

The device, called the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha, will be given to developers attending RIM’s annual BlackBerry World conference taking place in Orlando, Florida, in early May.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rim-prototype-blackberry-device-191121867.html

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 29 March 2012 05:38 PM #159

The future of RIMM is grim. Doesn’t matter what they report today. They suck and will be dead soon.

• Posted: 29 March 2012 05:47 PM #160

Huge revenue miss. Single digits for the stock next week?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/03/29/rimm-halted-ahead-of-fyq4/?mod=yahoobarrons

• Posted: 29 March 2012 05:48 PM #161

Let’s put RIMM’s $4.2B revenue in perspective. Apple will do over $3B in revenue PER WEEK this fiscal year. RIMM can do $4B in its best seasonal quarter. Goodbye, RIMM.

Posted: 29 March 2012 05:49 PM #162

Guidance discontinued.
    Jim Balsillie, former Co-CEO of the Company, has resigned as a Director on the Company’s Board.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/research-in-motion-reports-year-end-and-fourth-quarter-results-for-fiscal-2012-nasdaq-rimm-1638090.htm

Posted: 29 March 2012 05:53 PM #163

Ouch.

OTOH, RIMM is so down right now, shorting is a dicey proposition.  I didn’t make any put bets and I honestly overlooked RIMM’s earnings.  Wonder what’ll happen when trading resumes.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:04 PM #164

Brace yourselves…RIMM down about a…nickel?

EDIT:  Ah, there we go.  Off about 7% now.

[ Edited: 29 March 2012 06:11 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:06 PM #165

How much are its patents worth? The sharks must be circling in ever tighter concentric circles now…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics